Author Topic: Trump administration deals a big setback to Caltrain, pretty much killed hopes for high-speed rail coming to San Francisco  (Read 2880 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

If CA wants to wear NIMBY "T' Shirts, let them take the consequences too.
They already do in Kern County, the top producing county in the US
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:57:34 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

You have to feel for California, paying more into the system than they get back, then having this cut while they have to pay for all the poorer "conservative" states that get grants.

F#ck California and everyone in it. I don't take their money and I want nothing to do with it. I even refuse to buy my phones from that degenerate shithole. I buy Korean.

Offline SheitlQueen

There is no justification for any intrastate project to be funded by the other 49 states.

Agreed....they want it, they can pay for it. Waste of tax payers money to make their train system "green".

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DB

Only because they import vast amounts of power from other states.  California is incapable of meeting their own demand without imports.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,252076.html

And they're taking Diablo Canyon offline in less than 10 years without any replacement.

Offline verga

Actually, you are wrong.  The rolling blackouts of recent California history were a result of market manipulation by the late unlamented Enron, not an inherent problem with generating capacity or the grid.
@The_Reader_David for those of us that are ignorant of the situation, could you explain that. And is it the same issue that arizona was having around the same time?
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline thackney

@The_Reader_David for those of us that are ignorant of the situation, could you explain that. And is it the same issue that arizona was having around the same time?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/04/us/tapes-show-enron-arranged-plant-shutdown.html?_r=0

Enron made a bad situation worse.  But California was already too tight in available capacity.  If they had been more like Texas in generating capacity as they started the deregulation, the market would have been too large is spare capacity to effectively manipulate.

Enron was at fault.  Enron made it worse.  But California regulations and limitations set up their initial plan for deregulation to fail.  A lot of additional capacity got built following that time, mostly Nat Gas peaker units to handle upset conditions.  I was doing NatGas pipeline work in the area at that time to help serve the fast growing demand by those peaker units.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline verga

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/04/us/tapes-show-enron-arranged-plant-shutdown.html?_r=0

Enron made a bad situation worse.  But California was already too tight in available capacity.  If they had been more like Texas in generating capacity as they started the deregulation, the market would have been too large is spare capacity to effectively manipulate.

Enron was at fault.  Enron made it worse.  But California regulations and limitations set up their initial plan for deregulation to fail.  A lot of additional capacity got built following that time, mostly Nat Gas peaker units to handle upset conditions.  I was doing NatGas pipeline work in the area at that time to help serve the fast growing demand by those peaker units.
@thackney Thank you
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Hoodat

$647 million for 60,000 daily riders.  That comes to $10,783 per rider.  Why doesn't California simply implement a $14.37 fare increase per ride over the next three years.  Then they will have their $647 million.

Idiots.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-