Author Topic: Democratic Sen. Chris Coons backtracks on Trump campaign-Russia collusion claim  (Read 342 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: WASHINGTON EXAMINER

URL: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/democratic-sen.-chris-coons-backtracks-on-trump-campaign-russia-claim/article/2616490?custom_click=rss

By ANNA GIARITELLI

Sen. Chris Coons, D-Del., on Sunday said he was not aware of any collusion between President Trump's campaign and Russian officials to rig the election despite saying days earlier that there were "transcripts" of such activity.

"I have no hard evidence of collusion," Coons told Fox News host Chris Wallace. "To the extent those comments that you just replayed might in some way be misinterpreted as leading to a hyperventilating attitude here in the Senate about this, I apologize for that."

"What I was trying to make clear, Chris, and I appreciate a chance to restate this, is that I don't have, and I don't know of, any conclusive proof one way or the other about whether there was collusion between senior levels of the Trump campaign and Russian officials," Coons added.

Coons clarified that the intelligence community "would give us access to the transcripts" so that the Senate Intelligence Committee can see what transpired.

On Friday, Coons had stated there are "transcripts that provide very helpful, very critical insights" into whether the two parties worked together to get Trump elected.

Wallace asked why six months into investigations that have yielded no intelligence that there was collusion, Senate Democrats are still pressing the issue.

"I think what hard evidence there may be will be discovered either through a full release of President Trump's financial interests and concerns and taxes or the intercepts that I believe our intelligence community and FBI have of conversations between and among Russian officials," Coons said.

Wallace asked if his point was to keep the White House "under a cloud" in order to "derail" Trump's agenda.

"To be clear, Chris, I'm not the person who forced or coerced in any way Sen. Sessions to answer incorrectly or falsely in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee," Coons said, switching the topic.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:22:53 am by SirLinksALot »