Author Topic: Improving Major League Baseball  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Improving Major League Baseball
« on: March 05, 2017, 02:35:35 am »
How can we improve Major League Baseball?

I'm sure we all have our own ideas. Here are some of mine:

A. Come up with a realistic method of capping a team's payroll.

B. Eliminate inter-league play. If you want to watch the other league, use your TV.

C. Have only two divisions in each league. The top two teams in each division would play each other. The wild card would thus be eliminated. This of course requires that we have an even number of teams in each league.

D. The All-Star Game:

1. The winner of the All-Star Game would no longer determine the home field advantage in the World Series. Thus the All-Star game would no longer "count."

2. Since the All-Star Game would no longer count, games that are tied after 9 innings would end in a tie. No more extra innings in an All-Star Game.

3. Determining the home field advantage in the World Series would revert to the alternating mehod used before 2003. The American League would have the home field advantage during odd-numbered years and the National League would have the home field advantage during even-numbered years. Why not let the team with the best overall record get the home field advantage? Well, unlike the NBA, NFL, and NHL - these are two separate leagues.

E. Get the National League to give the Designated Hitter rule a three year tryout. Most amateur leagues and most minor leagues use it.

F. Eliminate the Bus Selig White Liberal Guilt Rules. Selig is another white lib who thinks it's still 1963.

1. The Dodgers retired Jackie Robinson's number 42 in 1972. Robinson was still alive and attended the ceremonies (he died later that year). Allow the other teams to use the number 42 again. Besides, 42 is Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything.

2. Eliminate Jackie Robinson Day. Or why not just rename Major League Baseball "Jackie Robinsonball"?

3. The Civil Rights Game? Are you kidding? The Jim Crow era is over. We don't need no stinkin' Civil Rights Game.

Well, those are some of my suggestions. How about yours?

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: Improving Major League Baseball
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 02:36:18 am »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 03:22:51 am »
I don't care for inter-league play,

I don't care for how the Stros and Brewers were switched around in the leagues, but that's just me.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 04:40:13 am »
I don't like the DH at all. Part of the stategery is what to do about the prospect of your pitcher having an at bat.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

geronl

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 06:04:14 am »
forget the DH rule

You want to emphasize that these are two different leagues and then want to make the NL have the same rule as the AL. That is kind of hypocritical.

geronl

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 06:05:58 am »
Make it into 4 different leagues!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 11:52:20 am »
I understand this is terribly sexist, but if the players' rosters were limited to well built and attractive women in bikinis, MLB would likely get more viewing, especially from younger males.

Sorry, that's just my take on a sport where the "perfect game" means nothing happens. (Three up three down, nine innings).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 01:43:25 pm »
forget the DH rule

You want to emphasize that these are two different leagues and then want to make the NL have the same rule as the AL. That is kind of hypocritical.
This whole idea that there are two leagues, when there are no separate league offices and the leagues are both run by one commissioner, is a farce. I think the NFL has more separate league organization with its conference offices and separate TV contracts than MLB does—and they unquestionably consider themselves one league.

Right now, baseball has one Major League with American and National conferences. It's high time they adopt the same rule set if that's the way they're going to operate.

If not, break up the leagues, make them sign separate TV deals and open up separate offices.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 04:37:56 pm »
I understand this is terribly sexist, but if the players' rosters were limited to well built and attractive women in bikinis, MLB would likely get more viewing, especially from younger males.

Sorry, that's just my take on a sport where the "perfect game" means nothing happens. (Three up three down, nine innings).

I was down on baseball for awhile; and then, I actually got to see some pro-games in person and my whole perspective changed. It is America's game.

In the '80s, I could watch any number of professional teams on tv; but Harry Caray and the Cubs, even though not winning, certainly had some special aura about them that even came through on TV, America's game.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 04:44:52 pm »
I was down on baseball for awhile; and then, I actually got to see some pro-games in person and my whole perspective changed. It is America's game.

Yup.  Watching a game from the stands in the park is a totally different experience.  Though I much prefer to watch the local AAA club: still good baseball, much less expensive, and the atmosphere is a lot more fan-friendly.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 04:49:19 pm »
A baseball game offers great atmosphere, assuming you're not real intent on seeing much action. We went to a minor league game near us a couple of years ago and enjoyed it - a lot cheaper than going to a MLB game.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 04:59:46 pm »
Minor League offers a lot of the same and they are part of the same organization. Minor League teams everywhere. There is also that other pro-league, not real competitors with the MLB but they are there.

Not sure if this is the triple A referred to by @r9etb  .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Association_of_Independent_Professional_Baseball

Some of these teams have built brand new stadiums even... for those saying, baseball is dying...

But some teams really do have a lot of Dominicans, nothing wrong with that, they are fine players and they earn it.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 06:16:34 pm »

In the '80s, I could watch any number of professional teams on tv; but Harry Caray and the Cubs, even though not winning, certainly had some special aura about them that even came through on TV, America's game.
Last Game I saw in person was the Baltimore Orioles playing the Washington Senators.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 07:49:41 pm »

Funny, I was just thinking, replace the seventh inning stretch with the seventh inning strippers. They could even bring back the Chippendale dancers for the women, of course children could no longer go to games but sacrifices must be made to save the game.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 10:21:21 pm »
Yup.  Watching a game from the stands in the park is a totally different experience.  Though I much prefer to watch the local AAA club: still good baseball, much less expensive, and the atmosphere is a lot more fan-friendly.

AAA baseball is huge fun, but they get some of their biggest buzz when they've got a marquee major league player on a rehab assignment.  Maybe MLB could tap into that dynamic a bit and rotate around having one of the big guys play a game or two at the farm club every so often.

Also, the DH is a travesty. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 11:22:16 pm »
Minor League offers a lot of the same and they are part of the same organization. Minor League teams everywhere. There is also that other pro-league, not real competitors with the MLB but they are there.

Not sure if this is the triple A referred to by @r9etb  .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Association_of_Independent_Professional_Baseball

Some of these teams have built brand new stadiums even... for those saying, baseball is dying...

But some teams really do have a lot of Dominicans, nothing wrong with that, they are fine players and they earn it.
I think the one that you're thinking of is the Atlantic League.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_League_of_Professional_Baseball

The Atlantic League has its teams in the suburbs of a number of big cities: New York City, Philadelphia, Washington, Houston, etc. They've had their fair share of talent come through it, too. If they wanted to make a run at being the Third Major League, they are better positioned than most.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 09:18:17 pm »
How can we improve Major League Baseball?

I'm sure we all have our own ideas. Here are some of mine:

A. Come up with a realistic method of capping a team's payroll.

Won't happen until or unless the owners quit a) trying to outsmart each other while b) pleading to stop us before we overspend,
misspend, or malspend again, and ignoring c) the one American team sport that has more different world champions without
a salary cap than any of the ones that do have salary caps. (Hint: it's their sport.) Though I notice this offseason that there was
a kind of market correction that does happen from time to time, though I'm no fool---the same owners working with this "market
correction" are going to be at least some of those ready to launch a big bidding war for Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, soon.

B. Eliminate inter-league play. If you want to watch the other league, use your TV.
Sound as a nut. There are two places for interleague play: the All-Star Game and the World Series.

C. Have only two divisions in each league. The top two teams in each division would play each other. The wild card would thus be eliminated. This of course requires that we have an even number of teams in each league.
If you must have three division leagues, here's the sound way to determine the postseason:

* Eliminate the wild cards.
* The division winner with the best regular-season record gets a round-one bye, and the other two division winners play a best-
of-three division series, with the winner meeting the third division winner in the League Championship Series.
* Return the LCS to a best-of-five.
* Thus restoring the World Series's primacy.

D. The All-Star Game:

1. The winner of the All-Star Game would no longer determine the home field advantage in the World Series. Thus the All-Star game would no longer "count."
It doesn't, as of this season. They took care of that in the new collective bargaining agreement. Again, sound as a nut.

2. Since the All-Star Game would no longer count, games that are tied after 9 innings would end in a tie. No more extra innings in an All-Star Game.
Nah, let the game go to the extra. But knock it off with the all-teams-must-be-represented jazz, at least to the extent that you're
removing pitchers who might be pitching well enough just to go to the bullpens.

A thought along that line: Teams ought to quit worrying about their pitchers working in the All-Star Game if the Game happens to
fall on their normal between-start throwing days. They're going to throw anyway, and they probably throw the near-equivalent of
a quality start on those throwing days. Less of pitchers begging off the All-Star Game because of starting the last or next-to-last
games before the break. If the Game is on their normal throw day, it won't damage them.

3. Determining the home field advantage in the World Series would revert to the alternating mehod used before 2003. The American League would have the home field advantage during odd-numbered years and the National League would have the home field advantage during even-numbered years. Why not let the team with the best overall record get the home field advantage? Well, unlike the NBA, NFL, and NHL - these are two separate leagues.
Sound as a nut, again.

E. Get the National League to give the Designated Hitter rule a three year tryout. Most amateur leagues and most minor leagues use it.
How about getting the American League to go three years without the DH, especially considering the National League is seeing
a nice little swell of decent hitting pitchers recently? (What the hey, Madison Bumgarner wasn't kidding when he offered to be a DH
during a postseason set, and he's got the bat to back it up . . . )

F. Eliminate the Bus Selig White Liberal Guilt Rules. Selig is another white lib who thinks it's still 1963.

1. The Dodgers retired Jackie Robinson's number 42 in 1972. Robinson was still alive and attended the ceremonies (he died later that year). Allow the other teams to use the number 42 again. Besides, 42 is Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything.
I didn't see anything terribly wrong with retiring Jackie Robinson's uniform number across the board. Forget white liberal guilt,
Robinson can still stand as a reminder of just how the civil rights movement to follow him did a lot of things wrong while getting
proper results. (Carl Erskine, a Robinson teammate, speaking in 1970: [Stokely] Carmichael and [H. Rap] Brown [to name two]
can never understand what Jackie did. But he understands them.
)

2. Eliminate Jackie Robinson Day. Or why not just rename Major League Baseball "Jackie Robinsonball"?
Personally, I'd be in favour of keeping Robinson day and adding such things as:
* Casey Stengel Day. (Name one more memorable character who also happened to be a great manager.)
* Hank Aaron Day. (What a marvelous moment for baseball, what a marvelous moment for Atlanta and the state of Georgia, and
what a marvelous moment for the country and the world. A black man is getting a standing ovation in the Deep South, for breaking
a record of an all-time baseball idol. And it is a great moment for all of us, and particularly for Henry Aaron, who was met at home
plate not only by every member of the Braves, but by his father and mother.
---Vin Scully, calling Aaron's 715th home run in 1974.
And when Aaron's mother plunged through the mob to yank her son into a hug and kiss, it was priceless.)
* Vin Scully Day. (Was there ever a better baseball voice?)
* Hall of Fame Day. (I don't think any other American team sport inducts its honourees into the Hall of Fame during their seasons,
though I could be wrong.)
* Marvin Miller Day. (If the Veterans Committee offshoots won't do the decent thing and put into Cooperstown the man who helped
win players their reasonable right to sell their services on an open market and ended the ages when players were chattel, the least
baseball can do is set aside a day in his honour.)

3. The Civil Rights Game? Are you kidding? The Jim Crow era is over. We don't need no stinkin' Civil Rights Game.
No argument here.

Though I think the Hall of Fame should re-name the writers' wing from the Ford C. Frick Award to the Red Smith Award . . .
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:20:26 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 01:07:46 am »
Won't happen until or unless the owners quit a) trying to outsmart each other while b) pleading to stop us before we overspend,
misspend, or malspend again, and ignoring c) the one American team sport that has more different world champions without
a salary cap than any of the ones that do have salary caps. (Hint: it's their sport.)
On a side note here, isn't it ironic?

Here you have Major League Baseball, the sport with the biggest disparity in salaries in all of major league sport, and it's quickly becoming the most equal. Teams like the Red Sox, Cubs, White Sox, etc... all broke their long championship droughts in the past 15 years. (Steinbrenner dying didn't hurt either.)

Then you look at the NFL, where Tom Brady can hold an entire division hostage for those same 15 years.