Author Topic: Virginia is the first state to pass a law allowing robots to deliver straight to your door  (Read 1382 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Virginia is the first state to pass a law allowing robots to deliver straight to your door

Idaho and Florida may be next.

Virginia has made robotics history. The commonwealth is the first state to pass legislation allowing delivery robots to operate on sidewalks and crosswalks across the state.

The new law goes into effect on July 1 and was signed into law by the governor last Friday.

The two Virginia lawmakers who sponsored the bill, Ron Villanueva and Bill DeSteph, teamed up with Starship Technologies, an Estonian-based ground delivery robotics company, to draft the legislation.

Continued: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/virginia-is-the-first-state-to-pass-a-law-allowing-robots-to-deliver-straight-to-your-door/ar-AAnKb69?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Within 10 years, all states should have laws like this.

Offline kevindavis007

Within 10 years, all states should have laws like this.

I think that Illinois will ban them.. Well maybe the City of Chicago..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Suppressed

In before "What could go wrong?"

Oh, wait...this isn't the Luddite site!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

geronl

Those little robots are going to get stolen

geronl

These things will have their wheels stolen and have graffiti painted on before they reach the customer in Chicago

Offline Norm Lenhart

Why? They won't be around long enough to ban. But the market for chop shop robot parts will boom.

Online DB

Why? They won't be around long enough to ban. But the market for chop shop robot parts will boom.

The unions will be the first to demand the blocking of robots from delivering stuff.

Offline Norm Lenhart

The unions will be the first to demand the blocking of robots from delivering stuff.
Good point. And stealing them themselves.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Does this mean I can get deliveries from Bender, Fry and Leela?

I'd be cool with deliveries from Planet Express. But just Planet Express.

@Bender2
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
In before "What could go wrong?"

Oh, wait...this isn't the Luddite site!

Will there be hookers?  :0001:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Those little robots are going to get stolen
Oh, good. I'm not the only one who had a 'flash' of one of these up on blocks, stripped down, with the wheels gone...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Norm Lenhart

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Oh, good. I'm not the only one who had a 'flash' of one of these up on blocks, stripped down, with the wheels gone...

Could be worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7vIc2Qep5U

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Could be worse.

"I just don't understand. He is such a good robot. I know he had had some problems, but he was getting his life together, doing beats for the local church choir. Sure, he'd had that problem with lubricant abuse, but that was all behind him..."
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

The City of Chicago may ban driverless cars in the City.. They almost banned Uber and Lyft.. The Union grip in the City is very strong..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Does that include Sexbots? The Japanese, so I hear, have been making rapid progress in the development of same.