Author Topic: Playing favorites: Brain cells prefer one parent's gene over the other's  (Read 469 times)

rangerrebew

Playing favorites: Brain cells prefer one parent's gene over the other's

Date:
    February 23, 2017
Source:
    University of Utah Health Sciences
Summary:
    It has long been thought that each copy of our DNA instructions -- one inherited from mom and one from dad -- is treated the same. A new study shows that it is not uncommon for cells in the brain to preferentially activate one copy over the other. The finding breaks basic tenets of classic genetics and suggests new ways in which genetic mutations might cause brain disorders.

FULL STORY
Many cells in the brain express two copies of each gene, one inherited from mom and one from dad. Others express just one copy. If the single copy happens to carry a genetic mutation, it may cause the cell to become sick. The discovery from the University of Utah offers a previously undescribed nuanced view of genetics that has consequences at the cellular level.
Credit: Christopher Gregg

Most kids say they love their mom and dad equally, but there are times when even the best prefers one parent over the other. The same can be said for how the body's cells treat our DNA instructions. It has long been thought that each copy -- one inherited from mom and one from dad -- is treated the same. A new study from scientists at the University of Utah School of Medicine shows that it is not uncommon for cells in the brain to preferentially activate one copy over the other. The finding breaks basic tenets of classic genetics and suggests new ways in which genetic mutations might cause brain disorders.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170223124227.htm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:24:15 pm by rangerrebew »

Oceander

Hopefully my kid's brain favors my wife's genes over mine!  I married up when it comes to brain power (which, come to think of it, means I'm not too shabby m'self!).