Author Topic: White House wisely pushes back on questionable Mattis selection  (Read 410 times)

Offline endicom

Power Line
Paul Mirengoff
Mar. 3, 2017

Eliana Johnson reports that some White House officials are opposing the selection by James Mattis of Anne Patterson for the position of undersecretary of defense for policy. The opposition reportedly stems mainly from Patterson’s actions as U.S. ambassador to Egypt in the Obama administration.

Eliana explains:

Patterson worked closely with former Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi and his Islamist government. She came under fire for cultivating too close a relationship with the regime and for discouraging protests against it—and White House officials are voicing concerns about those decisions now.

More... http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/03/white-house-wisely-pushes-back-on-questionable-mattis-selection.php

'tis a puzzlement.

Offline dfwgator

Re: White House wisely pushes back on questionable Mattis selection
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 08:26:12 pm »
Adios!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 08:37:41 pm »
Power Line
Paul Mirengoff
Mar. 3, 2017

Eliana Johnson reports that some White House officials are opposing the selection by James Mattis of Anne Patterson for the position of undersecretary of defense for policy. The opposition reportedly stems mainly from Patterson’s actions as U.S. ambassador to Egypt in the Obama administration.

Eliana explains:

Patterson worked closely with former Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi and his Islamist government. She came under fire for cultivating too close a relationship with the regime and for discouraging protests against it—and White House officials are voicing concerns about those decisions now.

More... http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/03/white-house-wisely-pushes-back-on-questionable-mattis-selection.php

'tis a puzzlement.
Morsi's wife belonged to the same organization as (Hillary's 'assistant'/wife of Anthony Weiner) Huma Abedin's  mom (Muslim Sisterhood). That's just a little too close for comfort.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 08:51:53 pm »
General Mattis deserves to be able to pick and choose the persons he respects and trusts to serve under him at DOD.   Don't be shocked if his tenure at DOD is a short one if the President won't extend that ability to him.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 08:56:39 pm »
General Mattis deserves to be able to pick and choose the persons he respects and trusts to serve under him at DOD.   Don't be shocked if his tenure at DOD is a short one if the President won't extend that ability to him.

Even if the woman is a bucket of shit?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 09:31:58 pm »
Even if the woman is a bucket of shit?

Shouldn't Gen. Mattis' view of Ms. Patterson be the key consideration?   

The last thing I want to see is Gen. Mattis resigning because of the Trump political folks' meddling. 

If this is Bannon at work here, and I were Gen. Mattis, I'd go to the President and say - choose, me or him.   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:32:36 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 09:44:51 pm »

Even Generals make mistakes. Farthest I ever got in my Army career was respectfully telling my Group Commander his assessment that "there are problems regarding accountability in the S-4 section" couldn't have been more incorrect.

Long story short: my counterpart, the Group S-4 (a major) was unable to conduct the inspection, so he sent his assistant, a butterbar. I had to be in the mission briefing with all the brass, so her questions had to be answered by my Spec 4. It wasn't his fault, and I told him so...he never should have been put in that position.

I stood up and told the Grp Cdr that I knew where "every dollar in our budget went", and that he could confirm that statement with his S-4. The minute they left, I called the Group S-4, advising him that LT of his was no longer welcome at my HQ.

It was sorted out by the next afternoon. The "old man" (Battalion Cdr) called me into his office to inform me (with a wry grin), that the Grp Cdr apologized for the "misunderstanding. No harm, no foul. I continued to work for him when we were transferred back to the States (Fort Bliss). He was promoted to O-6, and he installed me as his Operations Officer, an O-5 slot (good for the ego, didn't increase my pay any, had been a Captain about a year...lol), in the agency he commanded at Fort Bliss.

I'm sure Mattis got along with her fine when they worked together at the Pentagon. However, if I read it correctly, Flournoy turned down his first offer. Given her history, she should have been shown the door on 1/20/2017.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 09:46:27 pm »
Shouldn't Gen. Mattis' view of Ms. Patterson be the key consideration?   

The last thing I want to see is Gen. Mattis resigning because of the Trump political folks' meddling. 

If this is Bannon at work here, and I were Gen. Mattis, I'd go to the President and say - choose, me or him.   

A bit early for that, isn't it?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.