Author Topic: Trump vows to build '12-carrier Navy' during visit to USS Gerald R. Ford  (Read 475 times)

rangerrebew

Trump vows to build '12-carrier Navy' during visit to USS Gerald R. Ford

By: Mark D. Faram, March 2, 2017 (Photo Credit: Mark D. Faram/Staff)
ABOARD THE USS GERALD R. FORD, Newport News, Va. — President Donald Trump told sailors and shipboard workers aboard the yet-to-be commissioned aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford that he would rebuild the U.S. Navy and give the service the all the resources it needs to fight and win — to include more aircraft carriers.

“I just spoke with Navy and industry leaders and have discussed my plan to undertake a major expansion of our entire Navy fleet, including having the 12-carrier Navy we need,” Trump said Thursday to cheers from sailors and shipyard workers in attendance.

Currently, the Navy has 10 aircraft carriers.

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/trump-visits-the-carrier-gerald-r-ford
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:08:28 am by rangerrebew »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Either the last two will be filled with wonderfully capable drones, or this will require a significant expansion in personnel, and supporting capabilities as well as support vessels.

I am not sure exactly what systems need updating and overhaul, but the general drift form articles I have read indicates that getting the fleet up to speed in terms of operational status might be a priority. The question always exists of do we spend the budget updating the last war's stuff, or building the next war's materiel?

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis