Author Topic: Navy Delays Recycling Plan For Former USS Enterprise  (Read 1062 times)

rangerrebew

Navy Delays Recycling Plan For Former USS Enterprise
« on: March 01, 2017, 11:12:45 am »
Navy Delays Recycling Plan For Former USS Enterprise

Posted By: Hope Hodge Seck February 27, 2017

Disposing of the world’s first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier is turning out to be more of a challenge than the Navy bargained for.

Officials from Naval Sea Systems Command announced today that they’re canceling a request for proposal to perform a commercial recycling of the non-nuclear elements of the USS Enterprise, CVN 65, which was decommissioned after 55 years of service Feb. 3.

“The Navy has identified that it requires more information to determine the approach for the disposal of CVN 65, including the reactor plans, that is more technically executable, environmentally responsible and is an effective utilization of Navy resources,” a spokesman for NAVSEA, William Couch, said in an announcement today.

https://www.dodbuzz.com/2017/02/27/navy-delays-recycling-plan-former-uss-enterprise/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 11:13:29 am by rangerrebew »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Navy Delays Recycling Plan For Former USS Enterprise
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 06:00:36 pm »
Awe just do what the russians would do, haul the radioactive element out to sea and dump em. hell, if you did it in the Pacific you could just blame any increased radiation readings on Fukushima.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 07:00:42 pm »
Awe just do what the russians would do, haul the radioactive element out to sea and dump em. hell, if you did it in the Pacific you could just blame any increased radiation readings on Fukushima.

Hell, dump it in a subduction zone. Let the tectonic processes bury it for you. Plenty of those worldwide......

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 07:21:14 pm »
I'm wondering if they aren't keeping her around until they can rebuild the carrier fleet; just in case. :pondering:

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 07:45:26 pm »
Hell, dump it in a subduction zone. Let the tectonic processes bury it for you. Plenty of those worldwide......

And that's how you get...

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 08:15:24 pm »
And that's how you get...

Good news is they start out small and incredibly dumb....

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

rangerrebew

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 10:34:07 pm »
Did you know the Enterprise had to sail at low tide to get under the Golden Gate.  I was on the Ranger out of Alameda and we use to tie up next to the Enterprise.  When we went under the bridge, we didn't clear it by all that much.  At least both flight decks were about 60 above the water.