Author Topic: Cheese may raise breast cancer risk, but yogurt could reduce it  (Read 1167 times)

rangerrebew

Cheese may raise breast cancer risk, but yogurt could reduce it
Written by Honor Whiteman
Published: Wednesday 1 March 2017

Dairy foods have their pros and cons; though they are a good source of calcium, they can also be high in fat. When it comes to the effects of dairy foods on breast cancer risk, a new study finds that they can be just as conflicting.

Researchers suggest that a high intake of certain cheeses, such as cheddar, may raise women's risk of breast cancer.

Researchers have found that eating high amounts of cheddar and cream cheeses may increase women's risk of breast cancer, but a high intake of yogurt may reduce risk of the disease.

Lead study author Susan McCann, Ph.D., of the Department of Cancer Prevention and Control at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, NY, and colleagues recently reported their findings in the journal Current Developments in Nutrition.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/316142.php
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:49:36 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Cheese may raise breast cancer risk, but yogurt could reduce it
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 12:23:20 pm »
http://www.lifenews.com/2014/09/22/twelve-out-of-twelve-recent-studies-show-abortion-linked-to-breast-cancer/

Considering this may be a co-factor, or that the cheese may be just a correlative factor and not a causative one, the ratios in the studies cited at the link above are generally more significant.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:34:48 pm »
Then I'm in trouble because I can't tolerate most dairy except certain aged cheeses like cheddar.  Yogurt doesn't work for me either.

One study doesn't make a definitive finding.  I'll wait for further research before I give up cheese. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 02:36:14 pm »
Then I'm in trouble because I can't tolerate most dairy except certain aged cheeses like cheddar.  Yogurt doesn't work for me either.

One study doesn't make a definitive finding.  I'll wait for further research before I give up cheese.
Meh. I missed the Alar scare and a host of other tizzies because I heard as an undergrad that the mold on blue cheese was supposed to be a carcinogen. Right then and there, I decided that studies were bad for my diet. (Real butter, whole milk, red meat, sharp cheese, real food. ) I honestly believe some of the 'enhancers' and preservatives are worse fare than the food itself, unless you are harvesting turnips in Pripyat.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 04:45:30 pm »

There are some excellent reduced-fat cheeses (Sergento makes a great cheddar). They use low-fat milk and also make the slices thinner. My housemate (who is losing weight fast on her program) swears by that brand. She also likes Frigo reduced fat string cheese. Warm that last product in the microwave for about 5 seconds and it gives it a nice, creamy chewy consistency. She also likes to peel off strips in classic string cheese style.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 04:46:06 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 07:40:11 pm »
"may" "could" meh...

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 07:48:03 pm »
So put your cheese in yogurt....problem solved.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 08:16:44 pm »

There are some excellent reduced-fat cheeses (Sergento makes a great cheddar). They use low-fat milk and also make the slices thinner. My housemate (who is losing weight fast on her program) swears by that brand. She also likes Frigo reduced fat string cheese. Warm that last product in the microwave for about 5 seconds and it gives it a nice, creamy chewy consistency. She also likes to peel off strips in classic string cheese style.

You're right, but the sodium content in reduced fat cheese is higher than in the full fat cheese.  Apparently, companies which make reduced fat versions of their ordinary products believe the reduced fat versions don't taste quite as good.  So they add sodium and who knows what to enhance the flavor.

These days I use the full fat cheeses, but I just use less.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 08:22:43 pm »
"may" "could" meh...

Agreed.  Over the years, I've heard coffee is bad for you, then coffee is good for you, then coffee is bad for you, on and on, ad nauseum.

Or every summer, a study comes out saying that charcoal grilling causes cancer.   Pfffft!

Really, I don't know that too many foods and beverages if any, are all that bad if you consume them in moderation.   Sometimes I think these studies are done by people and organizations determined to make our lives miserable.