Author Topic: How much pee is in our swimming pools? New urine test reveals the truth  (Read 604 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
How much pee is in our swimming pools? New urine test reveals the truth

Olympic swimmers admit to it and it seems many of the rest us are peeing in the water too, with a new scientific test finding up to 75 litres of urine in public pools
Hannah Devlin Science correspondent

Wednesday 1 March 2017 08.00 EST
Last modified on Wednesday 1 March 2017 22.45 EST

It is an antisocial act that normally goes under the radar, but many swimmers have long suspected the truth: people are peeing in the pool.

Now scientists have been able to confirm the full extent of offending for the first time, after developing a test designed to estimate how much urine has been covertly added to a large volume of water. Regular swimmers with a keen sense of hygiene may wish to stop reading now.

The test works by measuring the concentration of an artificial sweetener, acesulfame potassium (ACE), that is commonly found in processed food and passes through the body unaltered.

Continued: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/mar/01/how-much-pee-is-in-our-swimming-pools-new-urine-test-reveals-the-truth

Seems a little too much but one has to try to comprehend the methodology.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Don't know about US pools, but ours are populated with health nuts who don't tend to eat processed foods containing artificial sweeteners as their bodies are temples (a particularly apt description of the cult of self worship.)

So double the amount, at least.  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
All I know is if you are in a pool and hit a 'warm spot', it's highly likely you found some... :terror:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis