Author Topic: Yes, Childhood Sexual Abuse Often Does Contribute to Homosexuality  (Read 4456 times)

rangerrebew

Yes, Childhood Sexual Abuse Often Does Contribute to Homosexuality

By Michael Brown Published on February 23, 2017 • 203 Comments
Michael Brown

What do Anderson Cooper, Don Lemon, George Takei and Milo Yiannopoulos have in common? They are all out and proud gay men, and they were all sexually abused as underage minors. Sadly, this is an extremely common occurrence, as there is frequently a connection between childhood sexual abuse and adult homosexuality.

To say such a thing, of course, is to invite a hailstorm of fierce criticism and ridicule: “You bigoted homophobe! These men were born gay, not made gay, and their sexuality is a gift from God, not the result of sexual abuse. Plus, there are plenty of gay men who were never abused and plenty of straight men who were abused as boys and never turned gay.”

Putting the name-calling aside, there is some truth to these statements.

Numbers Don’t Lie

https://stream.org/yes-childhood-sexual-abuse-often-contribute-homosexuality/
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 02:27:16 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Yes, Childhood Sexual Abuse Often Does Contribute to Homosexuality
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 03:12:31 pm »
Yes, but the question remains, are boys who have homosexual tendencies targeted, or do they develop homosexual tendencies because of being abused?  I don't think there is one answer.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 06:23:20 pm »
Yes, but the question remains, are boys who have homosexual tendencies targeted, or do they develop homosexual tendencies because of being abused?  I don't think there is one answer.
There is the case of Ellen DeGeneres, who did not embrace lesbianism until well into her adulthood. She was abused as a child, but still identified herself as straight all through her teen years (she almost married a guy at one point).

It's anecdotal, to be sure, but there does appear to be at least some evidence of causation.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 06:25:15 pm »
There is the case of Ellen DeGeneres, who did not embrace lesbianism until well into her adulthood. She was abused as a child, but still identified herself as straight all through her teen years (she almost married a guy at one point).

It's anecdotal, to be sure, but there does appear to be at least some evidence of causation.

Yes, I talked only about men, because I think men and women are different in this area. 

Silver Pines

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 11:12:10 pm »
I've worked with a number of gay men, and several of them would talk about past abuse.

The guy who used to cut my hair was abused as a child by his older stepbrother.  Once, he admitted it was probably the reason he was gay. 

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 04:42:55 am »
I've heard the abuse as a child excuse used as a reason, but if a person was abused as a child, which by most accounts are by an adult of the same sex, why then would that horrifying event cause a person to alter their sexual preference?
On a talk show many years ago there was a woman who was sexually abused by her father when she was a girl.  As an adult, understandably, she didn't want anything to do with men and was a lesbian.
I would think being abused by a person of your own sex would turn a person off homosexual sex.   I'm no psychiatrist, but from what I've observed and read it seems most homosexuals are born that way.  I'm not ruling out abuse as a cause in some cases, it's just not very persuasive to me. Hormonal abnormalties during gestation sound like the best explanation to me.  That would explain many lesbians in sport and many effeminate male homosexuals.

Silver Pines

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 04:05:46 pm »
I've heard the abuse as a child excuse used as a reason, but if a person was abused as a child, which by most accounts are by an adult of the same sex, why then would that horrifying event cause a person to alter their sexual preference?
On a talk show many years ago there was a woman who was sexually abused by her father when she was a girl.  As an adult, understandably, she didn't want anything to do with men and was a lesbian.
I would think being abused by a person of your own sex would turn a person off homosexual sex.   I'm no psychiatrist, but from what I've observed and read it seems most homosexuals are born that way.  I'm not ruling out abuse as a cause in some cases, it's just not very persuasive to me. Hormonal abnormalties during gestation sound like the best explanation to me.  That would explain many lesbians in sport and many effeminate male homosexuals.

@goatprairie

Found this article for you.  It really isn't surprising that environment plays a big factor in shaping a child.

https://townhall.com/columnists/michaelbrown/2017/02/24/yes-childhood-sexual-abuse-often-does-contribute-to-homosexuality-n2289936

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 07:33:19 pm »
@goatprairie

Found this article for you.  It really isn't surprising that environment plays a big factor in shaping a child.

https://townhall.com/columnists/michaelbrown/2017/02/24/yes-childhood-sexual-abuse-often-does-contribute-to-homosexuality-n2289936

Sure, its's possible.  But that is still not very convincing. You still have to explain to me why someone sexually abused as a child by someone of the same sex would then desire homosexual sex as they matured. Why, like the woman I cited on the talk show, wouldn't they be revolted by the idea of same-sex?
And again, why are there so many lesbians in female sports? There was recently a story about a WNBA player who complained about the numbers of lesbians in the sport, and how they made things tough for heterosexual players.
It's basically a joke about the numbers of lesbians in female sports.  I knew a heterosexual woman in my hometown who played in female softball leagues and told a friend of mine and his wife how upset she was with the numbers of lesbians in the league. She said the lesbians were always trying to seduce young girls.
But why are there so many lesbians in sport in the first place? Abnormal testosterone levels most likely in my estimation.
And as far as males, you'll find most homosexual males most attracted to the stylistic sports like figure skating and diving. Ballet is another avenue for athletic male homosexuals. 
They made a big deal about Jason Collins coming out as a homosexual in the NBA several years ago, and there have been homosexual males in other sports here and there. But for the most part their numbers have been tiny in the major sports like baseball, football, basketball, and hockey.
Again, why are homosexual males attracted to sports like figure skating that involve a lot of style?  Again, I have to believe abnormal hormonal activity during gestation with male homosexuals either not having enough testosterone or too much estrogen made them effeminate.
And again, why are people sexually attracted to people of the same sex?  I've never seen a male I thought was so good looking I'd like to put the moves on him.   Basically, the thought doesn't occur to me.   
Why was  a good looking guy like Rock Hudson attracted to a horse-faced doofus like Jim Nabors when he could have fornicated with half the starlets in Hollyweird? It had to be something inborn. There's no other explanation for me.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 08:47:26 pm »
I think it's both - I think that mostly with men it's congenital with some environmental issues. They were probably exposed to the wrong mix of hormones at the wrong time in utero and it affected their physical and mental development.  And, I suspect that youngsters in that boat are easily identified by adult homosexuals and get picked on for abuse more frequently because of that.

Women may be a bit more complex.  Some women were probably also affected in utero, and they not only have a skewed sexual attraction, they may look more masculine, and be more muscular and aggressive than other women.  With some it may be more of a psychological/environmental issue in that some don't like/trust men (and were possibly abused as children) and others see it as popular and trendy and rebellious.

Oversimplified, I know.

Either way, I'm pretty sure that at least for men until the last few years, it wasn't something that someone would deliberately choose to be. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 09:00:52 pm »

That strikes me as reasonable.   Folks are wired the way they are.   That's a notion that's resisted by the religious, of course, because it means either that the Bible's wrong, or God is arbitrarily cruel in a way they may find difficult to accept.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 09:37:20 pm »
 :eatdrink:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Silver Pines

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 01:22:27 am »
That strikes me as reasonable.   Folks are wired the way they are.   That's a notion that's resisted by the religious, of course, because it means either that the Bible's wrong, or God is arbitrarily cruel in a way they may find difficult to accept.     

@Jazzhead

Neither are the case, but there's some virulent anti-Christian bigotry floating around, anyway.

Silver Pines

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 01:34:59 am »
Sure, its's possible.  But that is still not very convincing. You still have to explain to me why someone sexually abused as a child by someone of the same sex would then desire homosexual sex as they matured. Why, like the woman I cited on the talk show, wouldn't they be revolted by the idea of same-sex?
And again, why are there so many lesbians in female sports? There was recently a story about a WNBA player who complained about the numbers of lesbians in the sport, and how they made things tough for heterosexual players.
It's basically a joke about the numbers of lesbians in female sports.  I knew a heterosexual woman in my hometown who played in female softball leagues and told a friend of mine and his wife how upset she was with the numbers of lesbians in the league. She said the lesbians were always trying to seduce young girls.
But why are there so many lesbians in sport in the first place? Abnormal testosterone levels most likely in my estimation.
And as far as males, you'll find most homosexual males most attracted to the stylistic sports like figure skating and diving. Ballet is another avenue for athletic male homosexuals. 
They made a big deal about Jason Collins coming out as a homosexual in the NBA several years ago, and there have been homosexual males in other sports here and there. But for the most part their numbers have been tiny in the major sports like baseball, football, basketball, and hockey.
Again, why are homosexual males attracted to sports like figure skating that involve a lot of style?  Again, I have to believe abnormal hormonal activity during gestation with male homosexuals either not having enough testosterone or too much estrogen made them effeminate.
And again, why are people sexually attracted to people of the same sex?  I've never seen a male I thought was so good looking I'd like to put the moves on him.   Basically, the thought doesn't occur to me.   
Why was  a good looking guy like Rock Hudson attracted to a horse-faced doofus like Jim Nabors when he could have fornicated with half the starlets in Hollyweird? It had to be something inborn. There's no other explanation for me.

@goatprairie

Well, with all due respect, I think we just disagree.  I'm not going to try to convince you of my POV, and I'm no scientist or theologian or anything like that.  I read an article a long time ago that discussed the theory that the victims, abused in childhood, grew up thinking that was normal sex.  I could understand that. 

I don't doubt that some males are born with less testosterone, and some females with less.  But I don't think the level of hormones in their system would flip a switch and make them desire the same sex.  I don't see the relation there. 

When it comes to women, I agree with @Sanguine that some of them turn to lesbianism because they're disaffected with men.  That happened with my friend's sister. 

I can't explain same-sex attraction because, like you, it's unimaginable to me.  But it exists, and it isn't the first thing we've looked at and said, "I just don't get it."

As for Rock Hudson, men were his thing.  Apparently he preferred Jim Nabors over even the prettiest actresses.  Maybe he liked the idea of being the good-looking one, so he picked an ugly dude.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 06:34:09 am »

That's how I reason it too.   To me, it's an alien attraction.  By simple logic, it must be inborn.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 03:08:06 pm »
That's how I reason it too.   To me, it's an alien attraction.  By simple logic, it must be inborn.
Apparently, it goes against the grain of many people to accept the idea that other people are naturally attracted to certain different or odd behaviors.  I guess for whatever reason they have to believe the "led down the wrong path" scenario. Certainly, that can be the case.
But they deny absolutely that many people are simply naturally driven to do many of the things they do.  I've read enough stories of killers to understand that many of them simply liked killing other people.  They weren't treated awful when they were children.....they just wanted to kill other people.  Even if they were treated badly by their parents or whomever when they were children, there's no proof they would have turned out differently if treated better.
Some people have weird desires like eating dirt or smelling skunks (the latter sounds unbelievable, but I've read accounts of people who love it.) Let's face it...most homosexuals were indeed born that way. They're not evil persons, they just sexually attracted to people of their own sex.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 03:32:20 pm »
Alien or not, in today's warped society if you refuse to condone and embrace the homosexual lifestyle, you're a bigot who must be crushed, especially financially.  I only know one poster on this thread who thinks that's a great thing.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Silver Pines

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 04:18:57 pm »
Apparently, it goes against the grain of many people to accept the idea that other people are naturally attracted to certain different or odd behaviors.  I guess for whatever reason they have to believe the "led down the wrong path" scenario. Certainly, that can be the case.
But they deny absolutely that many people are simply naturally driven to do many of the things they do.  I've read enough stories of killers to understand that many of them simply liked killing other people.  They weren't treated awful when they were children.....they just wanted to kill other people.  Even if they were treated badly by their parents or whomever when they were children, there's no proof they would have turned out differently if treated better.
Some people have weird desires like eating dirt or smelling skunks (the latter sounds unbelievable, but I've read accounts of people who love it.) Let's face it...most homosexuals were indeed born that way. They're not evil persons, they just sexually attracted to people of their own sex.

@goatprairie

Well, I thought we were having a civil discussion, so I'm sorry that you apparently decided to abandon it to declare what "many people" think.  You demanded proof from me, but you refused to address the points in my last post.

When you start using genetics to justify behavior (and there is no proof at all that homosexuality is genetic), you're on the road to making it normal.  Homosexuality is not normal.  And you can't stop there.  If they're just born that way and can't help it, well, any other tendencies people are born with have to be considered normal.

Pedophiles, liars, rapists, murderers, whatever----they're all born that way.  You're actually falling into that trap in your post.  It removes responsibility from everyone. 

I don't have a problem accepting that homosexuals would choose a lifestyle that most often results in unhappiness and sickness.  People choose self-destructive paths of all kinds every day, knowing full well what they might be in for.  It's human nature.

I see homosexuality as a learned behavior, not an inborn preference.  We can disagree on that and remain polite to each other.

Silver Pines

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 04:19:53 pm »
Alien or not, in today's warped society if you refuse to condone and embrace the homosexual lifestyle, you're a bigot who must be crushed, especially financially.  I only know one poster on this thread who thinks that's a great thing.

@Cyber Liberty

You're just a religious nut.   :laugh:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 04:31:13 pm »

@Cyber Liberty

You're just a religious nut.   :laugh:

A religious nut who waltzes with his guns....  :whistle:
I will NOT comply.

Silver Pines

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 04:32:21 pm »
A religious nut who waltzes with his guns....  :whistle:

@Cyber Liberty

And a sweet, sweet dance it is!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 04:52:59 pm »
@goatprairie

Well, I thought we were having a civil discussion, so I'm sorry that you apparently decided to abandon it to declare what "many people" think.  You demanded proof from me, but you refused to address the points in my last post.

When you start using genetics to justify behavior (and there is no proof at all that homosexuality is genetic), you're on the road to making it normal.  Homosexuality is not normal.  And you can't stop there.  If they're just born that way and can't help it, well, any other tendencies people are born with have to be considered normal.

Pedophiles, liars, rapists, murderers, whatever----they're all born that way.  You're actually falling into that trap in your post.  It removes responsibility from everyone. 

I don't have a problem accepting that homosexuals would choose a lifestyle that most often results in unhappiness and sickness.  People choose self-destructive paths of all kinds every day, knowing full well what they might be in for.  It's human nature.

I see homosexuality as a learned behavior, not an inborn preference.  We can disagree on that and remain polite to each other.

@CatherineofAragon, I won't presume to answer for @Goatprairie, but I don't think homosexuality is "genetic" necessarily.  As I said above, it's probably more a congenital condition. 

And, I'll also state that I don't worry too much about homosexuals - that's between God and them and I have confidence that it will be sorted out in the end.  I do, however, despise using homosexuality to batter down religious and familial cultural norms.  The homosexual agenda is real and it is damaging. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 04:59:28 pm »
And, I'll also state that I don't worry too much about homosexuals - that's between God and them and I have confidence that it will be sorted out in the end.  I do, however, despise using homosexuality to batter down religious and familial cultural norms.  The homosexual agenda is real and it is damaging.

I share this view, and I think that's exactly the motivation of some posts I've seen on the subject, here and elsewhere.
I will NOT comply.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017, 05:02:06 pm »
Homosexuality is not normal.  And you can't stop there.  If they're just born that way and can't help it, well, any other tendencies people are born with have to be considered normal.

...I see homosexuality as a learned behavior, not an inborn preference. 

A lot of wisdom in your statement. 

Those of us who are 'religious nuts' (gun and sword-toting ones especially) already understand that the natural mind of man is hostile to God and biblical morality.  It is not subject to the Laws of God, and cannot be on it's own efforts of logical deduction.  Permissiveness in a society that (for example)  decides rape is perfectly normal (as in Islamic theocracies)  - engenders all kinds of explanations why rapists are doing a good service to their societies. 

Absent biblical morality being a standard to impose a sense of shame for wrongdoing - every single behavior that is deviant, destructive and abnormal, will be made normal, preferred and justified in a violent and wicked society.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Silver Pines

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 05:13:14 pm »
@Sanguine
@CatherineofAragon, I won't presume to answer for @goatprairie, but I don't think homosexuality is "genetic" necessarily.  As I said above, it's probably more a congenital condition. 

I understand.  My opinion would remain the same either way.

You're right, it's between them and God when it comes to personal judgment.  My stance is that the behavior itself is not normal, and is Biblically wrong.  I don't go around shouting that from the rooftops, but I won't shrink from it in discussion, and I won't modify my opinion.  I hope you can accept that.

Silver Pines

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2017, 05:24:35 pm »
A lot of wisdom in your statement. 

Those of us who are 'religious nuts' (gun and sword-toting ones especially) already understand that the natural mind of man is hostile to God and biblical morality.  It is not subject to the Laws of God, and cannot be on it's own efforts of logical deduction.  Permissiveness in a society that (for example)  decides rape is perfectly normal (as in Islamic theocracies)  - engenders all kinds of explanations why rapists are doing a good service to their societies. 

Absent biblical morality being a standard to impose a sense of shame for wrongdoing - every single behavior that is deviant, destructive and abnormal, will be made normal, preferred and justified in a violent and wicked society.

@INVAR

I'll state flat out---the Bible says a lot of things are sins, and I'm guilty of plenty of them.  We all are.  So I'm not putting myself on a pedestal....I'm far from a perfect Christian.

I'm just not going to lie and say something is right when it isn't.