Author Topic: Air Force Buys Mysterious Israeli Weapon to Kill ISIS Drones  (Read 475 times)

rangerrebew

Air Force Buys Mysterious Israeli Weapon to Kill ISIS Drones
A member of the Iraqi Special Forces shoots his machine gun at an Islamic State militant drone n the al-Barid district in Mosul, Iraq on Dec. 18, 2016.

By Marcus Weisgerber Read bio
    Ben Watson Read bio

February 23, 2017

What is this secret weapon? Pentagon officials aren’t saying, but here are some clues.

The U.S. Air Force awarded a mysterious contract to an Israeli firm for equipment to counter small drones like the ones used by Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria.

But service officials will not disclose the type of system and whether it uses electronic jamming, conventional missiles, a combination of both, or some other method to down enemy drones.

http://www.defenseone.com/business/2017/02/air-force-buys-mysterious-israeli-weapon-kill-isis-drones/135620/?oref=d-mostread
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:18:29 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Air Force Buys Mysterious Israeli Weapon to Kill ISIS Drones
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 11:39:25 am »
Non-kinetic`kills must involve EM or other countermeasures to render the drone useless, likely communication failure or frying onboard systems. If the system detects and drops the drones, all the better. Beats a lot of stuff (rounds that missed) flying around downrange, especially in environments where there are likely friendlies or civilians downrange.

I have little doubt that there are other folks in the world who would want that system as well, some not on the 'nice' list.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis