Author Topic: Here's what McDonald's plans to do to win back 500 million lost customer visits  (Read 6996 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I just don't know.  Don't press me Fred.

heh heh heh
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Norm Lenhart

Alright - All this talk about McDonalds... I went there last night, just before Shabbat fell. It's been months since I've been there (maybe early fall was the last time), but I was too late to cook, and I had been wanting to try the Big Mac Grand, so that's what I did.

It brought a sort of nostalgia to me - That Big Mac Grand might be a touch bigger, but that sandwich is how I remember the Big Mac...  A huge handful, a little sloppy, almost necessitating a two-hand hold. Of course it hasn't been like that for years but that is what I remember it as.

That nostalgia made the fries suck more than normal - with a real Big Mac in my hand, my taste buds dialed back to expect real McDonald's french fries with it... But for the first time in years (and I am talking decades here), I was satisfied by a single sandwich at  McDonalds, and for the first time ever, I couldn't finish my food, because I was sated.

Price-point wise, If I don't have to order an extra sandwich or two, eating at McDonalds just got a whole lot cheaper. Still feels pricey, but decent quantity might bring them back in line with BK and Wendy's. Of late, Burger King is my favorite of the three - A Double-Whopper Cheese (loaded) meal is still pretty hard to beat.

I always was an In and Out Burger fan but BK was #2 for the regular chain stuff. The problem is that over the last few years, I can go to the same franchise store, buy a Whopper and it tastes the way I always remember. that distinctive Char Broiled flavor I love.

Then a week later at the same place, I'd get another and it tasted totally bland/plastic. I have no clue as to how they manage this as a Whopper isn't rocket surgery. Especially as 'I have it my way' every time, meaning bread, meat, lettuce, pickles, tomato and ketchup. You can't really vary the taste of that without massive increase or decrease in the actual quality level of the ingredients.

Now I would understand if it went from Good to bad or bad to good and stayed there. But it varies visit to visit and by a lot.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I just woke up and my tummy is rumbling like Winnie the Pooh.

Not a good idea to read this thread. Now I'm jonsing for fast food, and ya all know it's not on my diet.

Especially now when they all have fish sandwiches in their menus!

5:40 am I'll make a cup of tea, and go back to bed. And dream of hamburgers or flying toast (like the old screensaver)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

@Freya  Flying toast!  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

I always was an In and Out Burger fan but BK was #2 for the regular chain stuff.

You'll have to forgive me, but being where I am, I have never had an in and out. Shoot, we just got a Chik-Fil-A this year... What is here that is national are: McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Five Guys, Arbys, Pizza Hut, Dominos. Little Caesars, Taco Bell, KFC/A&W, ChikFilA, and Dairy Queen. That's my entire fast-food selection with the exception of El Sombrero, which used to be a Taco John's, and pretty much still is, without the branding (He told them to screw their franchise). Oh wait... there's a Popeyes now too (though I've never been).

And of those, the long standing ones (old enough that I don't consider them 'new') are McDonalds, Wendys, Pizza Hut, KFC/A&W, Taco Johns, and Dairy Queen, with an honorable mention to BK, who have been here off and on for about 20 years (Just not all the time). Those are the ones I grew up with.

So my experience with the more high-grade joints is limited, if not entirely absent.

The problem is that over the last few years, I can go to the same franchise store, buy a Whopper and it tastes the way I always remember. that distinctive Char Broiled flavor I love.

Then a week later at the same place, I'd get another and it tasted totally bland/plastic. I have no clue as to how they manage this as a Whopper isn't rocket surgery. Especially as 'I have it my way' every time, meaning bread, meat, lettuce, pickles, tomato and ketchup. You can't really vary the taste of that without massive increase or decrease in the actual quality level of the ingredients.

Now I would understand if it went from Good to bad or bad to good and stayed there. But it varies visit to visit and by a lot.

That's right. It is definitely noticeable between the two franchises here - More so at the south store (unfortunately, the one closest to me), and there is a marked difference in taste between that and the east store, which to it's credit, tends to maintain a more uniform consistency (except for the night shift). I have often wondered at that, much like yourself.

But, BK is way out of my way. I am on the west side, and out of town, so even though I like them best, I normally don't go there... The stuff within easy reach is Mickey-D's, Little Squeezers, and Arbys (Only because I get to say 'Horsey Sauce' and people take me seriously)... If I stretch it, the taco joints, KFC/A&W, Za Hut and DQ are all up on the north end of Main, but I can't get home with luke-warm food from there.  :shrug: