Author Topic: Group of Wash. inmates 'busy as bees' training to become beekeepers to save population  (Read 572 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Not politics or mayhem - just a neat idea.

GIG HARBOR, Wash. - Candace Ralston wants to prove to herself and her family that she can expand her comfort zone while in prison and she’s doing it with bees.

She is one of eight inmates at Washington’s Corrections Center for Women learning to become a bee keeper.

“To be honest, I’ve never harvested honey, so I’m not sure how to really do that,” she sad laughing as she pulled out a slice of honeycomb from one of two hives inside the barbed wires of the center in Gig Harbor.

She’s proud of what she’s learning because of the need for bees.

“Bees nationwide are suffering massive losses,” said Gary Clueit, President of the Washington State Beekeepers Association. “We are hearing 35 to 45 percent in various regions, that's really an unsustainable loss.”

With that in mind, the Department of Corrections started a beekeeping program in 2014 with the idea that inmates may find value in training to become a beekeeper.

Read more: http://komonews.com/news/local/busy-as-bees-washington-inmates-training-to-become-beekeepers-to-save-insect-population
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

It's good to hear of inmates learning useful skills like this. One certainly hopes it inspires them to live productive lives once released.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

Hope it is not a sting operation.

Offline mountaineer

Oh, bee serious, Wing!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

Oh, bee serious, Wing!

It is a honey of a topic!