Author Topic: Study claims Milford-based Subway’s chicken only contains 50 percent chicken  (Read 2836 times)

Offline corbe

Study claims Milford-based Subway’s chicken only contains 50 percent chicken

By Macy Corica, WTNH.com Staff
 Published: February 28, 2017, 3:49 pm  |  Updated: February 28, 2017, 3:51 pm

MILFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — A new report released by a Canadian Broadcasting Corporation found that the chicken served at Subway restaurants only contain about 50 percent chicken DNA.

The Subway finding was part of a larger investigation by the CBC into how much poultry is in the chicken sandwiches and wraps at several popular fast food restaurants, including Wendy’s, McDonald’s, Tim Hortons and A&W.

In the tests, most of the meat from Subway’s competitors contained 85 to 90 percent chicken DNA. Subway’s results, however, were so shocking to researchers that they decided to test them again. Subway’s oven roasted chicken registered at 53.6 percent chicken DNA and its chicken strips were found to have just 42.8 percent chicken DNA.

So what makes up the rest of DNA? Officials say soy.

Subway responded to the study, claiming to only use 100 percent white meat chicken in all of its chicken items. They did admit to using soy as a stabilizer.

“However, we are concerned by the alleged findings you cite with respect to the proportion of soy content. Our chicken strips and oven roasted chicken contain 1 % or less of soy protein. We use this ingredient in these products as a means to help stabilize the texture and moisture,” the restaurant chain said in a statement.

Subway came under fire in 2014 when it was discovered the chain used the chemical azodicarbonamide in its bread, which is also used to make yoga mats and shoe rubber.

In 2015, Subway announced it would be switching to chicken raised without antibiotics by 2016.

http://wtnh.com/2017/02/28/study-claims-milford-based-subways-chicken-only-contains-50-percent-chicken/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Mystery meat. It's what's for dinner.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline corbe

Not all Biker Chicks are Women, either.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

If you look at the Subway statement, you see

All of our chicken items are made from 100% white meat chicken...

Note that it doesn't say "All of our chicken items are made of 100% white meat chicken..."

Subtle, sneaky difference.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
50 percent chicken doesn't sound that bad to me.

90 percent of our politicians are chicken.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
50 percent chicken doesn't sound that bad to me.

90 percent of our politicians are chicken.
http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Norm Lenhart

Yea but think of all the fun you could have with your own DDs! No partner needed for a healthful game of Volleyboobs. Hit! Set! Spike! WOOHOO!

(skips merrily to health food store)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
                                                 Not all Biker Chicks are Women, either.

That's darling.

The Subway across the street from me closed. Hurray! They would put two pieces of meat on a small sandwich, two pieces of cheese, and pile it high with condiments like lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc. Then they would give you a big cookie - like seriously, does anyone need a cookie that size?

There is a mom and pop Chinese restaurant next to it, a Mexican and an Indian, and in the same strip mall a pizza joint and a diner. I'm glad the Subway went out. The pizza place had better subs they never figured out how to compete.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Norm Lenhart

The Subway across the street from me closed. Hurray! They would put two pieces of meat on a small sandwich, two pieces of cheese, and pile it high with condiments like lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc.

They did the exact same thing here in AZ. Must have been corporate intelligence at it's finest. They didn't do it long when every Subway around here nearly closed for lack of business.

Back in the 80s in the area I grew up in, it was the opposite problem. Sub Shops were the small business everyone and their brother tried. They all bought and used top of the line meats and cheeses, spices etc. The subs were freaking awesome and they piled the meat on...then sold what was in reality, a $15 sammich for about 4 bucks. And they all closed before either making a good but normally proportioned sammich or charging something in the profitable range. Stubborn people are awful businessmen.

The upside was no one ever learned the obvious lesson and we as consumers would just eat at a place until they went belly up then move to the next one. There was ALWAYS a next one and the new one often bought the recipes etc from the one that closed, so they were always great eating.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I hear the Fireman's sub chain is good.

@Norm Lenhart
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yea but think of all the fun you could have with your own DDs! No partner needed for a healthful game of Volleyboobs. Hit! Set! Spike! WOOHOO!

Uh, no thanks. Like so many things, they're nice to look at, fun to play with, but that doesn't mean I want to be the one to carry them around all the time...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rodamala

One day, 20 years from now, "they" will figure out that soybean squeezin's are the worst thing for human beings to eat, and we should have all been eating a pound of bacon every day, drinking whiskey, smoking unfiltered cigarettes, and having a lot of unprotected sex with multiple partners.

I got a 20 year jump start on all y'alls.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:56:50 pm by rodamala »

Offline rodamala

They would put two pieces of meat on a small sandwich, two pieces of cheese, and pile it high with condiments like lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc. Then they would give you a big cookie - like seriously, does anyone need a cookie that size?

@Freya

Soooo, what you are saying is the American Voting Public elected a $5 footlong that has no substance, 50% unknown substance as filler, and doesn't even measure 12 inches?

But, trust me, the cookie is YUUUUUGE!

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
I hear the Fireman's sub chain is good.

@Norm Lenhart
Yes, but a bit pricy...the brisket sub I had last week was very tender, tasty and was real brisket.  Med. Brisket Combo came to ~ $10+ tax.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
I essentially quit Subway unless it's as a last resort after they came out in support of the Wookie's "healthy food" campaign. 

Besides, they're "chicken" is obviously spun chicken parts glued together to form patties/strips.

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Wingnut

we should have all been eating a pound of bacon every day, drinking whiskey, smoking unfiltered cigarettes, and having a lot of unprotected sex with multiple partners.

There is not a single one of things that will kill you.....right away!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

This ones for you Norm, maybe if you eat enough of it you could do this too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpTPBpztaag

Warning, might be offensive to some, but not others.

Wingnut

It is a shame she wasn't amboobextrous. She might of had a future.

Offline corbe

I'm kinda partial to soylent Brunette, myself.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Fun fact: the woman in that clip now lives about 40 miles south of where I'm at. She runs a strip club in the middle of nowhere.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Norm Lenhart

This ones for you Norm, maybe if you eat enough of it you could do this too

Only one thing you can call a woman like that.

"Darling".

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Only one thing you can call a woman like that.

"Darling".
If she spins around on a crowded dance floor people are gonna get a concussion!

Offline Norm Lenhart

If she spins around on a crowded dance floor people are gonna get a concussion!

Some things are worth the pain... OK granted, in this case the pain would be rather considerable but I'm willing to man up and take one for the team.

Besides, you could put her to work in construction as a pile driver, save the heavy equipment rental and make a fortune!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Not a fan of breasts so large and saggy they look like they could rip off her chest.