Author Topic: Trump’s DOJ Will Drop Claim That Texas Voter ID Law Was Purposefully Discriminatory  (Read 491 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: HUFFINGTON POST

URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/texas-voting-id-trump-doj_us_58b454ffe4b0780bac2bd043

by Ryan J. Reilly

WASHINGTON ― Reversing a position the Justice Department has maintained for years, the Trump administration’s Civil Rights Division will state in federal court this week that the federal government no longer claims Texas legislators acted with discriminatory intent in 2011 when they passed one of the strictest voter ID laws in the nation.

The Justice Department will still take the position that the Texas voter ID law has a discriminatory impact on black and Latino voters, according to a source familiar with their decision. It’s unclear at this point whether DOJ will take the position that Texas legislatures acted without discriminatory intent, or if they simply will remain neutral on the question, but a filing is expected by the end of the day.

The DOJ’s new position is a disappointment to voting rights advocates, and evidently within the Civil Rights Division, where lawyers were worried about the future of the division under Trump and Attorney General Jeff Sessions. Federal court records indicated that John Gore, currently the No. 2 official in the Civil Rights Division, will represent the Justice Department in federal court on Tuesday.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Lawyer: Justice Department to no longer contest Texas’ voter ID law

By The Associated Press

02/27/17 03:17 PM EST

AUSTIN, Texas — An attorney for a voting rights group said Monday that President Donald Trump's administration said that the federal government no longer plans to challenge Texas' strict voter ID law.

Danielle Lang, of the Washington-based Campaign Legal Center, said the Justice Department informed plaintiffs in the case that it will be filing documents to formally drop its opposition to the Texas law. She called the decision an "extraordinary disappointment."

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/texas-voter-id-law-trump-drops-challenge-235452
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Excellent news! Because it definitely is not discriminatory in any way!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Excellent news!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

:yawn2:

Tired of all this winning.

Offline Victoria33

@mystery-ak

The first article suggests the case will continue after dropping one charge, and the one you posted suggests the entire case is dropped. 

I was working in the party when we finally got that law passed after years of trying.  Since we got it passed, it has been in the courts with the justice department trying to get it struck down.  This is a good day for Texas if the entire case is dropped.  Maybe after tomorrow, we will know the final answer to that.

Offline MajorClay