Author Topic: The cost of Trump´s war on the media  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: The cost of Trump´s war on the media
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 04:33:28 am »
Well, this guy didn't fight the war.....

.....how'd that turn out?

No country for old gentlemen.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2017, 04:37:11 am »
Same here.  I remember doing ceremonies for some of these people at the Pentagon...people put into positions that are greatly important...but no one knows about unless they work directly for the SecDef that are unaffected by an election...I'm talking people that were policy wonks in the Clinton Administration that flew under the radar right into the DoD.

They are dug in like ticks and I don't see anyone volunteering to dig them out.

And unless the Republicans stage a coup like the House did...he's gonna stay there because he's appointed ring kissers to key positions to keep him in power and he controls a slush fund that can either help you or fund your primary challenger if you don't go along with him.

Yes.  Me, too.  Unfortunately Obama's worms have a little more energy and staying power than Obama ever did.

Thank goodness Obama was so dang lazy...he would have done much more harm.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 04:39:14 am »
It is, right here:

Trump's oddly-small twittering thumbs are not sufficient to generate a meaningful backlash against the Schumer and his Democrats.  Whatever their failings, Trump still needs the media to report on stuff; and instead he's making sure they won't.

Trump's fans won't see or admit to this, but it's true.

Does anybody really believe that if Trump stopped tweeting and attacking the 'lying media' that they would roll over for him to pat their tummies.

They will act exactly as they have always acted no matter what Trump does.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 04:41:26 am »
He better not. I do not know what the hell recent Presidents are thinking not getting dye jobs in a media savvy world. Reagan didn't go grey. Either did Nixon. Who wants a President that looks like they rolled out from under a dumpster?

Grey or greying hair is a good look on a man.  Much better than an obvious dye job.

But Trump's hair will not go grey, you can bet money on that.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 05:07:06 am »
Of course it's in there.  The premise of the story is that while Trump is out waging war on the media with his Saul Alinsky tactics and acting like a juvenile delinquent on Twitter...it's distracting everyone from what the Senate is doing to ensure that Trump's agenda goes absolutely nowhere.

It's something we the people should be concerned with...but they aren't because the cult of personalty that is Donald Trump has everyone looking the wrong way.

Not sure you are right.  I think you may be underestimating the hatred people have for the press ...I  I mean people on the right. I had to put up with the Dallas Morning News for years even though I tried to hold their feet to the fire, they didn't have the resources to do much investigating and simply repeated everything the New York Times and AP said.  The only real reporters were the sports guys.

I haven't noticed much backlash against Trump at all on my Facebook page which I think is pretty evenly divided.

Naturally the Trumpers are defending him on this but a lot of other people are also.  People are scrutinizing stories from the Paper of Record a lot more closely and finding a lot of biased reporting and outright lies.

Of course, we are all far too sophisticated not to be offended by the childish tweets, but I'm not sure how offended the general public is.  Some of them are downright gleeful at somebody finally taking it to the media.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 05:24:05 am »
Of course it's in there.  The premise of the story is that while Trump is out waging war on the media with his Saul Alinsky tactics and acting like a juvenile delinquent on Twitter...it's distracting everyone from what the Senate is doing to ensure that Trump's agenda goes absolutely nowhere.  It's something we the people should be concerned with...but they aren't because the cult of personalty that is Donald Trump has everyone looking the wrong way.
@txradioguy

He must attack someone/group/country every day on twitter.  That becomes the news all day long on the cable news channels and on the internet.  His group loves it but those attacks keep his agenda mostly off the news.  His whole adult life was attacking entertainment characters day after day to get himself in the news.  This kind of news is NOT government.  We hear nothing about what is happening in the House or Senate to pass legislation.  Instead, we hear what his latest tweet is.  The media is not America's enemy as he said it is.  Trump's worst enemy is himself.  Maybe he can last four years, maybe not. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 05:34:26 am »
My unnamed sources tell me that the exact cost of the war on the media is $4.38. That total does not include local and federal taxes.

Offline corbe

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 05:42:21 am »
   Black history Month selfie

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Wingnut

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2017, 05:43:16 am »
My unnamed sources tell me that the exact cost of the war on the media is $4.38. That total does not include local and federal taxes.

Don't forget State tax.  That makes it closer to $5.00 even

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2017, 05:57:11 am »
   Black history Month selfie

A white blonde woman kneeling in front of a bunch of black dudes? I think I've seen that movie before back in college.

geronl

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 07:02:51 am »
The opportunity cost is staggering. He made a 100-day promise and it did not consist of "calling the media names". Time and effort that could have been spent on productive things.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2017, 08:26:15 am »
Not sure you are right.  I think you may be underestimating the hatred people have for the press ...

You can go back a long time to most any rally by any politician.  They would get the loudest cheers when they slammed the media (which wasn't very often oddly enough).  I'd call that some pretty solid evidence.

Then there are the polls whatever faith you might put in those.  The public rates the media about as low as you can go on the totem pole.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2017, 10:40:29 am »
@txradioguy

He must attack someone/group/country every day on twitter.  That becomes the news all day long on the cable news channels and on the internet.  His group loves it but those attacks keep his agenda mostly off the news.  His whole adult life was attacking entertainment characters day after day to get himself in the news.  This kind of news is NOT government.  We hear nothing about what is happening in the House or Senate to pass legislation.  Instead, we hear what his latest tweet is.  The media is not America's enemy as he said it is.  Trump's worst enemy is himself.  Maybe he can last four years, maybe not.
This sort of media domination is the same tactic he used in the primaries. While that hurt his opponents there because they had a harder time getting airtime, here, it won't hurt them--they'll still get airtime, as will he, but none of the things that made his base angry enough to elect him will.

Without Congress, an awful lot isn't going to happen, and Congress has proven time and again it can't be trusted to do what it should without close supervision.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2017, 10:42:06 am »
You can go back a long time to most any rally by any politician.  They would get the loudest cheers when they slammed the media (which wasn't very often oddly enough).  I'd call that some pretty solid evidence.

Then there are the polls whatever faith you might put in those.  The public rates the media about as low as you can go on the totem pole.
By the polls, Obama sucked, too. That didn't stop him from getting a second term.

The media may rate low, but they still mold the narrative.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 12:45:26 pm »

Exactly right.   2006 was the result of his not beating back the media lies.

Also in 2006 the base was also having a temper tantrum cause Congress wasn't pure enough.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2017, 01:28:26 pm »

Also in 2006 the base was also having a temper tantrum cause Congress wasn't pure enough.

Pure enough? Guessing you forgot that the GOP Congress was on a massive spending spree led by a pedophile.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2017, 01:43:43 pm »
@txradioguy

The media is not America's enemy as he said it is. 

FWIT to you @Victoria33 -- the President did not say "the media" is America's enemy.  He said the "lying, fake media" is the enemy of the American people --- those in the media who report lies and fabrications as truth.

Those of us who understand the difference between what you posted and what the President actually said agree with him.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2017, 02:09:09 pm »
Can't the Senate multi-task? What is the excuse for the House?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2017, 02:16:16 pm »
Can't the Senate multi-task? What is the excuse for the House?
Well doggone it, between cocktail parties, schmoozing with the donors, eating with the lobbyists, mutilating books (bending over pages), and posturing for the folks back home, there is just so little time left in a day. I mean, just look at all the days spent in session so far this year: https://congress.gov/days-in-session

C S Lewis

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2017, 02:48:25 pm »
The opportunity cost is staggering. He made a 100-day promise and it did not consist of "calling the media names". Time and effort that could have been spent on productive things.

I can think of little that is more "productive"  than destroying the credibility of the media by pointing out what hacks they are.   

I've been advising since 1992 that our side should go full scale war on the media manipulators of our elections.   

If the media were not biased,  we would  never have had Bill Clinton or Barack Obama.   Much destruction and suffering is the consequence of those bastards  manipulating the news to help Democrats. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2017, 02:50:55 pm »

Not pure enough?   They were down right Democrat-lite! 

'So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.”
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2017, 02:51:22 pm »

I can think of little that is more "productive"  than destroying the credibility of the media by pointing out what hacks they are.   

I've been advising since 1992 that our side should go full scale war on the media manipulators of our elections.   

If the media were not biased,  we would  never have had Bill Clinton or Barack Obama.   Much destruction and suffering is the consequence of those bastards  manipulating the news to help Democrats.
The irony is that we would not have had Trump, either. The media have been 'hoist upon their own petard'.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2017, 02:52:57 pm »
Well doggone it, between cocktail parties, schmoozing with the donors, eating with the lobbyists, mutilating books (bending over pages), and posturing for the folks back home, there is just so little time left in a day. I mean, just look at all the days spent in session so far this year: https://congress.gov/days-in-session

For the most part, they LOVE their swamp!  Aren't interested in any draining!  Both sides and both houses!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2017, 03:01:01 pm »
The irony is that we would not have had Trump, either. The media have been 'hoist upon their own petard'.

Yes,  I believe it is fair to say that Trump would not have won if it weren't for the media deliberately trying to manipulate the electorate.   They spread far and wide Trump's accusations against Cruz.   The media helped Trump win the primary because they thought he would be the easiest to beat.   

Regarding that,  all I can say is  ‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’

So far,  it has turned out better for us than I expected.   Thank God we didn't get that psychotic hate-witch Hillary. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2017, 03:02:11 pm »
For the most part, they LOVE their swamp!  Aren't interested in any draining!  Both sides and both houses!
Pretty cushy gig, and often on rails. They are 'some-body', get all sorts of perks, and if something doesn't get done, there are any number of things and people to blame that on. Just bring the bacon home to the district and kiss hands and shake babies, unless things are too hostile back home, when you 'regret that pressing matters of office' detain you elsewhere--on a junket wherever the climate (political or weather) is nicer...on the taxpayer's dime, of course.

Whatta racket!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:02:59 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis