Author Topic: Georgia pair sentenced to combined 35 years for terrorizing black child's birthday party with Confederate flags  (Read 1477 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
A Georgia man and woman have been sentenced to a combined 35 years after terrorizing a black child’s birthday party with Confederate flags, racial slurs and threats.

Jose Ismael Torres and Kayla Rae Norton were convicted earlier this month under a street gang terrorism law for the 2015 harassment in Douglassville, outside Atlanta, and cried in court on Monday.

Video footage from the party, little more than a month after Dylann Roof’s Charleston church massacre, shows a parade of trucks roaring by with Confederate “Stars and Bars” flags.

One person is heard shouting the n-word, while witnesses said that another had a gun sand said “he was gonna kill the n-----s.”

[excerpted]

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pair-sentenced-terrorizing-birthday-confederate-flags-article-1.2983749
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline dfwgator

Jose Ismael Torres

Now there's a redneck name if I ever heard one.  :whistle:

Offline Suppressed

Jose Ismael Torres

Now there's a redneck name if I ever heard one.  :whistle:

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

Should have just killed em.  The sentence would have been shorter.

Offline Suppressed

Should have just killed em.  The sentence would have been shorter.

It's incredible how long that sentence is.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The sentences must have been for hate crimes per Georgia law. The articles are a bit scant on the full charges.

Offline TomSea

13 years for the guy, it wouldn't surprise me if one could find felons convicted of armed robbery getting lighter sentences.

http://www.waaytv.com/ap/domestic/receive-prison-for-threats-slurs-at-black-child-s-party/article_602ae208-d1f6-5891-a4f2-608b2079b1bc.html

Offline Suppressed

13 years for the guy, it wouldn't surprise me if one could find felons convicted of armed robbery getting lighter sentences.

http://www.waaytv.com/ap/domestic/receive-prison-for-threats-slurs-at-black-child-s-party/article_602ae208-d1f6-5891-a4f2-608b2079b1bc.html

I think that others took a deal for 4 years.

Amazing.
+++++++++

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Or rape or even murder. I'm sure they will appeal. I don't condone what they did, but these sentences are outrageous.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline TomSea

Actually banished from the county after they serve their time, I don't see that handed out often.

He sentenced Torres to 20 years, with 13 to serve in prison; Norton was given 15 years, with six to serve. Upon their release, McClain ordered them to be permanently banished from Douglas County.
- http://www.ajc.com/news/local/judge-orders-stiff-sentences-for-two-douglasville-hate-crime/pHWEb5zXxdVqGBGxGNtorI/

This too, explains the rampage a little better. Walking up to cars with a gun and with that behavior, yes, you have to come down hard on them.   

Assistant District Attorney David Emadi detailed how the group had gone on a drunken, two-county rampage in pick-up trucked laden with Confederate battle flags through Paulding and Douglas counties over July 24 and July 25.

Emadi said the group threatened African-American motorists, yelled at them and walked up to one of their cars with a gun. They also threatened African American shoppers at a Paulding County Walmart and at a convenience store.

“Many good people in Paulding County saw you for what you are,” McClain said before he handed down the sentence. “Everywhere you went 911 call centers were flooded with calls.”

McClain then quoted one of the callers.

‘“I want to report a hate crime,’” he said.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Or rape or even murder. I'm sure they will appeal. I don't condone what they did, but these sentences are outrageous.
Unless there is something that didn't get covered in the report that seems like a heck of a long time in jail for simply being an unmitigated J@ck@$$.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline goatprairie

Is there a precedent for these kinds of sentences? Or is the judge being political? I've never heard of people being sentenced for those kinds of offences for that long without actually physically harming other people.  Pointing weapons at people is not good, but again, nobody was physically harmed.
I'm sure there have been other people of various ethnicities who have done the same thing.  It would be interesting to see what their sentences were.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
goatprairie wrote above:
"Is there a precedent for these kinds of sentences? Or is the judge being political? I've never heard of people being sentenced for those kinds of offences for that long without actually physically harming other people."

It was quite a few years' back I put up a comment on TOS relevant to this. I wish I'd archived it, but I didn't.

I recall posting that the time was coming in America when it would become all-but impossible to convict blacks of -real- criminal acts (beyond "slap on the wrists"), and -- at the same time -- it would become the norm to see whites sentenced severely for "hate crimes", etc.

Looks like that time has arrived.

Offline TomSea

That this happened right after the shootings in Charleston is surely, a reason why the judge acted so harsh but one would think there is some legal remedy to get such sentences reduced.