Author Topic: Misuse of 'service animal' designation a growing concern  (Read 2792 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Misuse of 'service animal' designation a growing concern
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 01:33:18 am »
What are you, some sort of freak? I often put my dogs in the shopping cart. That's what the carts for. Am I supposed to carry them between my legs while I shop?

:silly: :silly: :silly:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2017, 02:34:59 am »
Thank you for that info. I know of someone who got an apartment in an otherwise no pets complex by having their animal certified as an "emotional support animal", and is allowed to keep the pet there. That's why I figured the ADA was involved somewhere (or fear of it).
Yes ESA's do entitle you to be in a no pet rental if you meet certain guidelines, such as:
Mental disabilities, such as mental retardation, mental illness, and special learning disabilities, qualify under the federal statutes. Also, the mental impairment must affect the person’s ability to perform major life activities such as caring for one’s self, walking, or working.

At least here in california most landlords are leary of a ADA violation so people push them to allow an ESA in a no pet even when the person does not meet the criteria, otherwise having a letter certifying an animal will save you the pet deposit and monthly pet rent, I think this is another reason why people abuse the statutes.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 02:43:39 am »
Yes ESA's do entitle you to be in a no pet rental if you meet certain guidelines, such as:
Mental disabilities, such as mental retardation, mental illness, and special learning disabilities, qualify under the federal statutes. Also, the mental impairment must affect the person’s ability to perform major life activities such as caring for one’s self, walking, or working.

At least here in california most landlords are leary of a ADA violation so people push them to allow an ESA in a no pet even when the person does not meet the criteria, otherwise having a letter certifying an animal will save you the pet deposit and monthly pet rent, I think this is another reason why people abuse the statutes.

Well, the newest and perhaps most overly diagnosed malady is PTSD among people who have never served in or been in life threatening situations. With a claim of being triggered by virtually anything, and needing that critter to calm them down, they can get away with a lot.

And no, to be clear, I am not diminishing the claims of anyone who genuinely has PTSD from trauma, combat, even being a first responder or police officer, or other circumstances, but with the burgeoning snowflake culture, the bar has been lowered to the point where those who genuinely could use some help are going to have a harder time getting it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:45:03 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 04:02:21 pm »
It is ok. The dog... probably bathes more than she does.

@bigheadfred

Not okay for me.  I'm an animal lover, but don't want an animal's germs, including those from its butt, transferred all over my kitchen---or for that matter, the germs on the bottoms of kids' shoes when they ride in those things. 

Silver Pines

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 04:04:22 pm »
What are you, some sort of freak? I often put my dogs in the shopping cart. That's what the carts for. Am I supposed to carry them between my legs while I shop?

@Frank Cannon

I am indeed a freak. You have something against freaks?

Sooo....weenies carried around in that area of your body, huh.  I see this is a trap.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 04:11:04 pm »

@Frank Cannon

I am indeed a freak. You have something against freaks?

Sooo....weenies carried around in that area of your body, huh.  I see this is a trap.

LOL! Of course my mind is not in the gutter like that. I would never make off color comments like that. I was actually thinking of this when I spoke of carrying the dogs between my legs....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdIXrF34Bz0

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 04:35:20 pm »
Supreme Court rules in favor of service dogs in classrooms

http://www.care2.com/causes/victory-supreme-court-rules-in-favor-of-service-dogs-in-classrooms.html

@mystery-ak and mods- should this be a separate topic?.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:36:40 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 05:12:08 pm »
Well, the newest and perhaps most overly diagnosed malady is PTSD among people who have never served in or been in life threatening situations. With a claim of being triggered by virtually anything, and needing that critter to calm them down, they can get away with a lot.

And no, to be clear, I am not diminishing the claims of anyone who genuinely has PTSD from trauma, combat, even being a first responder or police officer, or other circumstances, but with the burgeoning snowflake culture, the bar has been lowered to the point where those who genuinely could use some help are going to have a harder time getting it.
That's the big problem, shyster doctors who will certify anyone disabled as long as you pay them enough cash. My wife is a certified medical coder and biller and has several Psychologists as client and you wouldn't believe how often they are approached by people who want them to give them a psychological disability status because they are either out of work or just tired of working. I knew a woman who moved to Seizure, uh, Leisure World near me and the policy was one small dog or cat, well she had two dogs so she paid her doctor to write a letter stating that she required two dogs for medical reasons allowing her to skate past the rules others had to follow. The really big bitch is that she didn't have two dogs when she bought her unit, so no sympathy as if she had two long term pets before.

Offline chae

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2017, 05:24:02 pm »
A friend of mine is a veteran with PTSD and his Jack Russell terrier is his emotional support animal, and it really seems to be helping him. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2017, 05:33:44 pm »
A friend of mine is a veteran with PTSD and his Jack Russell terrier is his emotional support animal, and it really seems to be helping him.
We're not disputing that there are people, especially veterans, former first responders, and others who do genuinely have PTSD, nor that they are helped by their animals.

It has, however, in the waning days of Obama bureaucrats, become a popular thing people claim to have and they are often supported in their claims by social workers and others who stand to gain caseloads (which lead to relevance and promotion). It is an exploitative charlatanry that keeps their budgets up and their ranks swelled, and what's more, it's easy.
With Obamoid unemployment levels, disability claims went up sharply after the 99 weeks of unemployment extensions ran out, which helped cook the books on who was and was not working and why.
So there are a number of motives to claim (and push) such claims among people who just might not have had anything near the experiences those who have been in deep poo have had.
Still, the subjective nature of the claim makes it tough to weed the slackers out of those who do have a real problem, and, FWIW, I'd rather end up letting some slackers slide than have even one veteran who needs help be denied.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Mod2

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 07:14:16 pm »
Supreme Court rules in favor of service dogs in classrooms

http://www.care2.com/causes/victory-supreme-court-rules-in-favor-of-service-dogs-in-classrooms.html

@mystery-ak and mods- should this be a separate topic?.

@Freya

Yes. It is sufficiently different to be a separate thread.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:14:55 pm by Mod2 »

Offline verga

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2017, 07:50:23 pm »
Suddenly I have noticed a number of people with a "service dog" at work. These people are not blind, look to be in their 20s or 30s and in good health. The only explanation I could come up with is that maybe they are vets and have the service dog to help with PTSD. At least I hope that is what it is, as the alternative seems to be someone gaming the system...
@Scutter A friend of mine has a service dog. She is Diabetic and recently had a pacemaker put in. This dog can tell by her body odor when her blood sugar is low. If she should pass out the dog knows to activate the medic alert bracelet she wears on her wrist. The dog is amazing.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.