Author Topic: Misuse of 'service animal' designation a growing concern  (Read 2794 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Misuse of 'service animal' designation a growing concern
« on: February 26, 2017, 10:40:12 pm »
LOS ANGELES (KABC) --
Service dogs on an airplane guiding and comforting their owners are an expected sight - but what about cats, lizards, ducks, even pigs?

Airline employees say they're seeing a wider range of animals with the "service" designation.

But a backlash is building over concerns that more and more airline passengers are skirting the rules to fly their pets for free.

And some therapists and other professionals may be making it far too easy for owners to obtain a "service" or "emotional support" designation for their pets.

http://abc7.com/news/service-animals-like-pigs-lizards-on-airplanes-raising-new-concerns/1773786/

I only have a plain old lizard. To think, I coulda had a service lizard instead.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Misuse of 'service animal' designation a growing concern
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 01:43:22 pm »
If someone has a mere pet, they can't rent where pets aren't allowed. Service animals come under different rules with many landlords who may be avoiding ADA sanctions or something like that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 02:14:34 pm »
You shoulda seen the looks I got the last time I tried to get on a plane with my service skunk.  :tongue2:
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 02:37:43 pm »
You shoulda seen the looks I got the last time I tried to get on a plane with my service skunk.  :tongue2:

Yeah, but that wasn't because of the skunk....   :silly:

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 02:54:56 pm »
My emotional-support suitcase has to fly with me.  It's okay to be in the hold.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 03:42:24 pm »
My emotional-support suitcase has to fly with me.  It's okay to be in the hold.

I fly with my teddy bear, it goes in my backpack (carryon) and comforts me during turbulence. And landings. I hate landings.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:43:04 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 03:57:45 pm »
I fly with my teddy bear, it goes in my backpack (carryon) and comforts me during turbulence. And landings. I hate landings.

So do I. I hate being flown by someone else.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 03:59:16 pm »
So do I. I hate being flown by someone else.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a pilot's license and your own plane? @EC
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:59:44 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 04:05:41 pm »
A friend runs a hotel, where only service animals are allowed.  He said you'd be surprised what  pets some people try to pass off as service animals.  One family brought their pet rabbit claiming he was a "seeing eye rabbit."  Um...ok...

Apparently, the chain owning the hotel had required anyone bringing a "service animal" to the hotel must provide some evidence that the animal is indeed a service animal. Not sure what that would be -- maybe some certification from an organization that provides or trains these animals for service that the creature in question is indeed a service animal. But the chain has been subjected to lawsuits under the ADA over this requirement, so I'm not sure the policy is still in place. 

I have a cat who refuses to leave my house.  So when I travel, someone I know babysits my cat.  Why can't people do something similar? 

Or maybe they just want to live in a world where rules don't apply to them. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 04:30:24 pm »
A friend runs a hotel, where only service animals are allowed.  He said you'd be surprised what  pets some people try to pass off as service animals.  One family brought their pet rabbit claiming he was a "seeing eye rabbit."  Um...ok...

Apparently, the chain owning the hotel had required anyone bringing a "service animal" to the hotel must provide some evidence that the animal is indeed a service animal. Not sure what that would be -- maybe some certification from an organization that provides or trains these animals for service that the creature in question is indeed a service animal. But the chain has been subjected to lawsuits under the ADA over this requirement, so I'm not sure the policy is still in place. 

I have a cat who refuses to leave my house.  So when I travel, someone I know babysits my cat.  Why can't people do something similar? 

Or maybe they just want to live in a world where rules don't apply to them.
The 'emotional support animal' seems to be the easiest designation to get, and there are outfits which certify those online. It doesn't require any special training for an animal to fulfill those duties, as the owner determines emotional support gained, unlike seeing eye dogs or some of the others which fetch things or let owners know the phone is ringing.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 04:57:44 pm »
The 'emotional support animal' seems to be the easiest designation to get, and there are outfits which certify those online. It doesn't require any special training for an animal to fulfill those duties, as the owner determines emotional support gained, unlike seeing eye dogs or some of the others which fetch things or let owners know the phone is ringing.

Should be some tighter requirenents. 

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 06:40:23 pm »
This is wider spread than the misuse of handicap placards by lazy people who buy their disability from a shyster doctor to get a placard, pushing the actual handicapped to park far from a door. I have a therapy dog but would never ever try to take him where other dogs are allowed because his designation does not allow it. I see people, old, young and in between taking their pets everywhere they go including the grocery store which I detest, but I'm in California and the law says that you cannot ask for proof of certification of a service animal so store operator are afraid to even approach these people. And then of course there are the online scams that will sell you a Certificate designating your dog a service animal along with a spiffy service animal vest for about $100 or less.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:41:07 pm by GtHawk »

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 06:48:50 pm »
Suddenly I have noticed a number of people with a "service dog" at work. These people are not blind, look to be in their 20s or 30s and in good health. The only explanation I could come up with is that maybe they are vets and have the service dog to help with PTSD. At least I hope that is what it is, as the alternative seems to be someone gaming the system...
There are people with hidden disabilities like PTSD, Epilepsy, Diabetes and other invisible ailments that require the use of a Service or Medical Alert Dog, my experience is that only a few of the many claiming that their dog is an actual trained and certified Service dog are legit. Most of the time it's just entitled people who can't bear to be away from their iddy biddy widdle baby.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 07:11:36 pm »
There are people with hidden disabilities like PTSD, Epilepsy, Diabetes and other invisible ailments that require the use of a Service or Medical Alert Dog, my experience is that only a few of the many claiming that their dog is an actual trained and certified Service dog are legit. Most of the time it's just entitled people who can't bear to be away from their iddy biddy widdle baby.

The military/VA is pretty big on having veterans use animals, for "comfort."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 07:32:59 pm »
Yeah, but that wasn't because of the skunk....   :silly:

grumble grumble eat ONE bowl of chili before you get on the plane and they never let you hear the end of it grumble grumble
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline rodamala

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 07:39:25 pm »
grumble grumble eat ONE bowl of chili before you get on the plane and they never let you hear the end of it grumble grumble

Sounds like an iratable bowel disability to me... full disability checks gonna start rollin in!

'Mericuh!  Where everyone is a victim and nobody is a volunteer!

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 08:26:34 pm »
An emotional support animal is not a service animal, they should not be confused with medical alert animals which are trained for each individual and are certified service animals, people with PTSD, severe Anxiety and other serious issues do not have simple ESA's. The ADA has quite specific definitions.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 12:47:13 am »
Should be some tighter requirenents.
Perhaps, but it falls in the highly subjective area of who considers what emotionally supportive. If that category is to exist at all, then it will be difficult to define, and the criteria will be highly difficult to establish. At what level is emotional support "needed", and who can tell whether someone else finds the level of support from a particular animal to be sufficient? Unlike knowing when to cross the street, alerting to red  lights, fetching stuff, or a ringing phone of smoke detector (for the deaf), emotional support is hard for anyone to define or assess but the owner who derives the support. There is no objective standard of performance which can be judged by anyone else.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 12:51:47 am »
Does ADA force the airlines to allow service animals for free?  And, does ADA define "service animal"?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:52:14 am by Sanguine »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 12:52:05 am »
An emotional support animal is not a service animal, they should not be confused with medical alert animals which are trained for each individual and are certified service animals, people with PTSD, severe Anxiety and other serious issues do not have simple ESA's. The ADA has quite specific definitions.
Thank you for that info. I know of someone who got an apartment in an otherwise no pets complex by having their animal certified as an "emotional support animal", and is allowed to keep the pet there. That's why I figured the ADA was involved somewhere (or fear of it).

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 01:05:38 am »

If by teddy bear you mean bottle of scotch, I do the same thing! Great minds think a lot.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 01:23:42 am »
If by teddy bear you mean bottle of scotch, I do the same thing! Great minds think a lot.

What would she be if Anita Lott married Roger Moore?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Silver Pines

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 01:24:50 am »
I was in the grocery store not long ago, and a woman was pushing her dog around in the shopping cart.  He was lying in the cart's body....where people put their groceries, and then put them in their fridges, pantries, tables, counters, etc.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 01:27:42 am »
I was in the grocery store not long ago, and a woman was pushing her dog around in the shopping cart.  He was lying in the cart's body....where people put their groceries, and then put them in their fridges, pantries, tables, counters, etc.

It is ok. The dog... probably bathes more than she does.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 01:29:41 am »

What are you, some sort of freak? I often put my dogs in the shopping cart. That's what the carts for. Am I supposed to carry them between my legs while I shop?