Author Topic: Men outraged over paying child support for kids who are not theirs  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Men outraged over paying child support for kids who are not theirs
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 11:43:59 pm »
Really?  You know what went on in the middle ages?  There's a reason why there used to be what was called "common law marriage" and it had nothing to do with people who actually went to the church and got married before they had kids.
I apologize for not making clear that I'm mainly referring to the United States. Besides, back then, it was a moot point because a child was more likely than not to die before reaching adulthood anyway.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 12:18:32 am »
And those same exact rules didn't used to apply to the woman if she's the one that walks away from or abandons the kid(s), leaving custody with the father.  Unless the father got an attorney and sued for full custody, at that point.... which takes more money than the father can afford in most cases.... she could come back, grab the kid back to start getting child support again and didn't have to worry about paying child support to the dad for the time she was 'gone'.  It's not fair.
@Sanguine

My son's ex split in 2011. It was a mess. The kids were 22 months and 9 months old. I paid for an attorney and he has full custody. Mommy just got out of prison, she got 2 meth charges shortly after she left. The son moved back in with us. My grandson, for 3 or 4 months after, would wake up EVERY night SCREAMING, terrified, and it would take hours, car rides, whatever, to calm him down.

She just got out of prison last week.  She is on parole for a while. Did an interstate compact to go live with her dad in Arizona. You remember him. Dear old dad. The guy that got her started on dope and then turned her out when she was 13.

Mommy's family has money. If she tries to take the kids back, buys them back (IMO) through the courts, and the court agrees, that court can take a FLYING EXPLETIVE. She was hit with child support and currently owes between $14k and $15k in back child support.

I won't say much more. Unless you want to see me screaming mad and waving my arms.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:21:24 am by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 12:47:48 am »
@Sanguine

My son's ex split in 2011. It was a mess. The kids were 22 months and 9 months old. I paid for an attorney and he has full custody. Mommy just got out of prison, she got 2 meth charges shortly after she left. The son moved back in with us. My grandson, for 3 or 4 months after, would wake up EVERY night SCREAMING, terrified, and it would take hours, car rides, whatever, to calm him down.

She just got out of prison last week.  She is on parole for a while. Did an interstate compact to go live with her dad in Arizona. You remember him. Dear old dad. The guy that got her started on dope and then turned her out when she was 13.

Mommy's family has money. If she tries to take the kids back, buys them back (IMO) through the courts, and the court agrees, that court can take a FLYING EXPLETIVE. She was hit with child support and currently owes between $14k and $15k in back child support.

I won't say much more. Unless you want to see me screaming mad and waving my arms.

Yeah, I hear you, Fred.  That's awful.  Goes to show that both men and women are capable of crappy, evil behavior.  (And, luckily the little ones have you and your wife and son)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 01:54:15 am »
This is the most absurd part of the whole thing. Some States base the amount of child support on what they call the 'family income' of the divorced spouse. When they are single, the family income is only their one salary. However, should they remarry, then the income and assets of the new spouse would be included in, family income, and the amount of child support would be adjusted accordingly. Think about it.

If I remarry, my new wife could wind up paying child support to my ex-wife. In what universe does this make any sense? Why would I ever remarry under these circumstances, and what woman would ever agree to marry me?

So, when the child support judgement was issued, several other things came with it, from this point on.

You will report all events that happen in your life directly to us.
You will never be allowed to be successful, because the more you make, the more we take, to keep you at a certain level of income. If you get a raise, we need to know about it.
You will never remarry, and if you do, we will punish you, and her.

That's life in modern America. That is why I always warn people about to get married to make sure they know what they are doing. I'm not saying to not get married. I'm only saying, be very careful. It is a serious thing, not to be taken lightly.
There is a presumption in the system that the male is the evildoer, the philanderer, the unfaithful and/or abusive person in the former relationship. A friend had his children taken away by the court after a private school handed him back his tuition deposit check (it was good) on the first day of school, and put the children in the custody of his meth addicted ex wife. You know where the child support money went. The kids grew up to be junkies as well.
I have rarely seen intervention which was actually needed which went well for any of the parties involved, and have seen intervention by the courts which was not needed, but based on the prevarication and carefully worded hype of social workers which went badly for all the parties involved. Even the 'charges' or complaints are vaguely worded to craft an image of someone who is terrible.
I have heard a lot of people gripe about the system.
I know of someone else who had a child removed from the home because the local school superintendent's office lost the paperwork for the child's home schooling, and they were deemed to be 'educationally neglectful' (no report of truancy had been filed, so I question when the paperwork got 'lost'). The result was that the child was placed in foster care, and the parents will be carried on a list of people who "neglect or abuse" (no differentiation) their children for ten years, which will keep them from getting a job working with kids, period. So they will be on the same list with people who chain their kids in closets or shove their hands in boiling water because someone else "lost" a piece of paper.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 01:56:01 am »
I apologize for not making clear that I'm mainly referring to the United States. Besides, back then, it was a moot point because a child was more likely than not to die before reaching adulthood anyway.
Some states still have 'common law marriage' after a certain number of years of cohabitation. IIRC, it's seven years here, if it hasn't been changed. Laws may vary in your state.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kidd

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 02:03:19 pm »
I used to file paternity suits on behalf of the state (most of the women involved were receiving welfare), and ran into a couple of dead ends when the child involved was born to a woman who was married to some other guy at the time of the child's conception. There was nothing I could do - the husband was the presumed father even if the DNA proved he wasn't. That was Missouri, not Michigan, BTW.
This laziness, on the part of the judge, does not benefit the child.
When the child turns 18, the payments to support the child stop. In most states, the child would not receive support for college.
Not to mention the resentment the child receives from their mother's (ex)husband - who they probably regard as "dad"

Time to change the law to match the technology.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 09:27:16 pm »
This laziness, on the part of the judge, does not benefit the child.
When the child turns 18, the payments to support the child stop. In most states, the child would not receive support for college.
It's not laziness, it's following the law. I agree, though, that it may be time to revise the laws - and the presumption of paternity on the part of the legal husband, no matter what -  to reflect the reality of DNA testing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org