Author Topic: Why It Matters What President Trump Eats  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Why It Matters What President Trump Eats
« on: February 26, 2017, 12:22:07 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-white-house-garden-nutrition-food-policy_us_58ac8457e4b0e784faa20ff3?section=us_politics&utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_1488034&

Trump’s food preferences indicate to Richard McCarthy, executive director of Slow Food USA, that “food and food policy may not be very near and dear to his heart” — at least not the type of locally-grown, sustainably-produced healthy foods promoted by the so-called good food movement.
“If anything, it’s the anti-intellectualism of the 1950s, steak-and-potato dinners that are politically and culturally projected and defended as ‘American,’” McCarthy said. “The food movement, with its farmers markets, CSAs and preventative health, is almost the opposite of what he’d want to be aligned with.”

:facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:22:37 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Why It Matters What President Trump Eats
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:41:20 pm »
We know he prefers taco bowls.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 12:45:56 pm »
He also likes Trump Steaks

https://www.sharperimage.com/si/view/product/Trump+Steaks/888888

But wait! There's also a video attached!!  :silly: 22222frying pan
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 01:00:27 pm »
70 years old and we haven't seen him under the weather yet and during the campaign, often 2 or 3 appearances a day, increasing to as many as 5 a day in the last month.  Rather phenomenal really.  He appears to be eating well.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 01:09:41 pm »
There are many reasons to criticize Trump. His eating habits isn't one of them.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 01:10:38 pm »
I doubt Trump cares about food which is a point in his favor.

Food lobbyists are another matter.

Well those type of Food Lobbyists are Food busybodies. Basically telling people what to eat and not to eat.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 01:15:03 pm »

Well... if you want him to serve for 8 years, and I'm sure most Trump fans do, then I do think his health matters.

Just not the way this article implies and his doctor did give him a clean bill of health.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 01:15:50 pm »
When a civilization starts getting more and more petty in finding 'horrors' to address, it's pretty much time for the ash heap.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 01:18:02 pm »

Well... if you want him to serve for 8 years, and I'm sure most Trump fans do, then I do think his health matters.

Just not the way this article implies and his doctor did give him a clean bill of health.

In all fairness I want all Presidents to be healthy...  Each person is different.

Offline endicom

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 01:20:47 pm »

I noticed that both he and Cruz ballooned some over the course of the campaign. Cruz may have since lost some poundage but Trump hasn't. The fluff from Huff aside, Trump could use a diet.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 01:23:41 pm »

I noticed that both he and Cruz ballooned some over the course of the campaign. Cruz may have since lost some poundage but Trump hasn't. The fluff from Huff aside, Trump could use a diet.

True... We had one fat a** as President.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 01:26:49 pm »

True... We had one fat a** as President.

Taft?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 01:46:59 pm »
Obama ate a lot of healthy foods like arugula (which I had never heard of before the story about him looking for it in a grocery store somewhere in Iowa), and look how he turned out.  Skinny as a rail and the worst prez ever.   Maybe eating healthy promotes being a leftist tyrant.  22222frying pan

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 02:53:53 pm »

Well those type of Food Lobbyists are Food busybodies. Basically telling people what to eat and not to eat.

Sugar lobby.

George F. Will: Sugar subsidies are immune to even modest reforms

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-f-will-sugar-subsidies-are-immune-to-even-modest-reforms/2013/06/07/3c5318fe-cedd-11e2-8f6b-67f40e176f03_story.html?utm_term=.40d74aec2882

Personally I think the American sugar cane industry should be allowed to go the way of the dinosaur or evolve. Its a tropical plant that grows in very limited areas of the USA while sugar beets can grow from sea to shining sea across the northern 2 thirds of the nation. Another advantage to the beets is the fact that they're a rotatable crop while cane is harvested from new growth from old roots. (Meaning that the beet sugar farmers can adjust to market forces while cane sugar growers are stuck growing cane no matter what)

Stripping the subsidies would hurt both industries but beet sugar would emerge as a stronger primary source of sugar while cane with the help of smart marketing could evolve to fill the purist niche and charge 5 times what they're getting now.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 02:58:22 pm »
When a civilization starts getting more and more petty in finding 'horrors' to address, it's pretty much time for the ash heap.

Goes for the Huffington Post too. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Silver Pines

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 09:57:07 pm »
“If anything, it’s the anti-intellectualism of the 1950s, steak-and-potato dinners that are politically and culturally projected and defended as ‘American,’” McCarthy said.

LOL

If it's "anti-intellectual" to like steak and a baked potato, then call me that, or moron, or anything you want.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 10:25:15 pm »
Had a good friend who would never touch any foods except meat and starch. This went to the point that even if he was ordering a Big Mac or a Whopper, all he wanted was bread and meat. No vegetables or greens ever. It was almost like a religious thing, in a way.

I  only mention this because i was amazed by it. Specifically, i was amazed that he was still alive at 35. But he was. I didn't think it was possible to survive never eating any vegetables. I guess I was wrong?

I am the opposite of him. I never eat meat without some kind of vegetables or leafy greens to go with it. For example, tonight I'm having top sirloin steak with potatoes and brussels sprouts. And that is a normal meal for me.

It remains to be seen which one of us will live longer. I'm taking no bets. This world is a world of chaos. You can never know what's going to happen tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:25:39 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 10:27:37 pm »

You say that, yet here is the article.

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 10:30:45 pm »
Had a good friend who would never touch any foods except meat and starch. This went to the point that even if he was ordering a Big Mac or a Whopper, all he wanted was bread and meat. No vegetables or greens ever. It was almost like a religious thing, in a way.

I  only mention this because i was amazed by it. Specifically, i was amazed that he was still alive at 35. But he was. I didn't think it was possible to survive never eating any vegetables. I guess I was wrong?

I am the opposite of him. I never eat meat without some kind of vegetables or leafy greens to go with it. For example, tonight I'm having top sirloin steak with potatoes and brussels sprouts. And that is a normal meal for me.

It remains to be seen which one of us will live longer. I'm taking no bets. This world is a world of chaos. You can never know what's going to happen tomorrow.

The eskimos basically survive on a 100% meat diet. They avoid a lot of the problems with heavy meat-based diets elsewhere in the world (such as scurvy), by eating organ meats that we typically throw out, which contain nutrients like Vitamin C that aren't found in muscle meat.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 11:12:03 pm »

The eskimos basically survive on a 100% meat diet. They avoid a lot of the problems with heavy meat-based diets elsewhere in the world (such as scurvy), by eating organ meats that we typically throw out, which contain nutrients like Vitamin C that aren't found in muscle meat.
I looked it up. You are right about the Inuit consuming a nearly meat only diet. The Masai live on meat and blood with some carbohydrates.

While both of these peoples have lower lifespans, it is thought that this may be due to their extremely hazardous lifestyle, environmental stress, and possibly genetic factors.

But, your larger point is sound. It is possible to survive on a meat and carbs diet. I'm not sure why anyone would choose to do this, but apparently you can get away with it, at least for a while. However, these people have adapted to this diet over millennium. So I'm not sure how well these examples apply to an average American in the lower 48.

Thank you for pointing that out.
Cheers
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:12:39 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 02:49:20 am »

IIRC Health enthusiast Jim Fixx was gonna live to be 100. Fixx, for those who were unaware, popularized the running/jogging/fitness craze in the 70s/early 80s. He died of a heart attack while jogging at 52yo.

When it's your time, it's your time.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 02:57:04 am »
IIRC Health enthusiast Jim Fixx was gonna live to be 100. Fixx, for those who were unaware, popularized the running/jogging/fitness craze in the 70s/early 80s. He died of a heart attack while jogging at 52yo.

When it's your time, it's your time.
As I always like to say:

Bruce Lee, the epitome of fitness, dropped dead at 32.

Ernest Borgnine, a far more rotund man, lived to be 95 and was still working right up until the end of his life.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 03:03:43 am »
As I always like to say:

Bruce Lee, the epitome of fitness, dropped dead at 32.

Ernest Borgnine, a far more rotund man, lived to be 95 and was still working right up until the end of his life.

My grandfather was an old school lumberjack. At 74 he was still built out of granite. Ate like a bear. Steak/potato guy. Worked the day he died of an anurysm.

My Grandmother, a slightly built woman, made it to her mid 90s surviving and fully recovering an aneurysm of her own...on a diet that had more twinkies than meat or veggies.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 03:06:50 am »
I looked it up. You are right about the Inuit consuming a nearly meat only diet. The Masai live on meat and blood with some carbohydrates.

While both of these peoples have lower lifespans, it is thought that this may be due to their extremely hazardous lifestyle, environmental stress, and possibly genetic factors.

But, your larger point is sound. It is possible to survive on a meat and carbs diet. I'm not sure why anyone would choose to do this, but apparently you can get away with it, at least for a while. However, these people have adapted to this diet over millennium. So I'm not sure how well these examples apply to an average American in the lower 48.

Thank you for pointing that out.
Cheers

Something to think about: The Inuit might not live as long as modern style Americans, but how do their final years compare to modern style Americans? Do they die like we do, after long periods of dementia while deficating into infant products reengineered for adults? Not trying to be argumentative, just bringing up a what if.
I stand with Roosgirl.