Author Topic: Why It Matters What President Trump Eats  (Read 2472 times)

Offline goodwithagun

Re: Why It Matters What President Trump Eats
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 03:09:29 am »
As I always like to say:

Bruce Lee, the epitome of fitness, dropped dead at 32.

Ernest Borgnine, a far more rotund man, lived to be 95 and was still working right up until the end of his life.

There's emerging research that indicates heavy weight training is both better than and more important than cardio. I recently gave up cardio for heavy weight training and I'm loving the results. It's just as important for us girls to pump iron as it is for the guys.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 03:10:59 am »
Something to think about: The Inuit might not live as long as modern style Americans, but how do their final years compare to modern style Americans? Do they die like we do, after long periods of dementia while deficating into infant products reengineered for adults? Not trying to be argumentative, just bringing up a what if.

Ultimately the human body was never designed to go much beyond 50ish. Once the child bearing/rearing years are over, we were supposed to 'exit stage left' and the next generation take it from there.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 03:14:41 am »
Ultimately the human body was never designed to go much beyond 50ish. Once the child bearing/rearing years are over, we were supposed to 'exit stage left' and the next generation take it from there.

What?! I was never meant to embarrass my kids as much as they've embarrassed me?!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 03:15:27 am »
What?! I was never meant to embarrass my kids as much as they've embarrassed me?!

Try harder. Worked for me ;)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 03:56:04 am »
Something to think about: The Inuit might not live as long as modern style Americans, but how do their final years compare to modern style Americans? Do they die like we do, after long periods of dementia while deficating into infant products reengineered for adults? Not trying to be argumentative, just bringing up a what if.
@goodwithagun
I doubt it. In most aboriginal cultures where food and resources are scarce and hard won, people with dementia likely would not survive. In harsh, survival conditions, doing something stupid, wandering off, forgetting how to get home, would more than likely get you killed. It is not that those issues do not happen to them, I  just don't think those people would make it. And that may contribute to the lower average life span.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:18:48 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 05:00:41 am »
There are many reasons to criticize Trump. His eating habits isn't one of them.

Anything works for some people.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 05:06:01 am »
Goes for the Huffington Post too.

Amen.  THIS is what we're talking about.  there are some red berries that grow on some of the palm trees around here and a lot of them fall onto our driveway.

Legend has it that these berries have an effect similar to Khat, a plant that people in Somalia and elsewhere chew on to give them energy and courage so that they can go out on pirate ships and so on.

However, legend also has it that these berries cause cancer.

What to do?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online libertybele

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2017, 05:08:48 am »
I can't believe we're even having this discussion; who cares what the heck President Trump eats.

As for myself ... meats, fruits and vegetables ... add a few starches throughout the day and some dark chocolates to snack on and I'm good to go.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 05:09:41 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 05:33:35 am »
@goodwithagun
I doubt it. In most aboriginal cultures where food and resources are scarce and hard won, people with dementia likely would not survive. In harsh, survival conditions, doing something stupid, wandering off, forgetting how to get home, would more than likely get you killed. It is not that those issues do not happen to them, I  just don't think those people would make it. And that may contribute to the lower average life span.
Some years back, I read about 30 books by Terry C. Johnston, in which he portrayed Native Americans based on his research.

He stated that when an old person was no longer able to keep up when a tribe made seasonal moves, they would leave them beside the trail to die, lest a delay for him would cause others to die needlessly.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 05:41:22 am »
However, legend also has it that these berries cause cancer.

I'd note that many people with/who died of cancer never partook in the things that were said to be carcinogenic. Even people that were fanatical about their health, eating the 'correct' foods etc...Yet they got it anyway. Imagine that.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 05:43:19 am »
Some years back, I read about 30 books by Terry C. Johnston, in which he portrayed Native Americans based on his research.

He stated that when an old person was no longer able to keep up when a tribe made seasonal moves, they would leave them beside the trail to die, lest a delay for him would cause others to die needlessly.

You can't fool me with your 'facts'. I watched Disney's 'Pocahontis' and I know that they were the perfect society we should all aspire to!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 05:54:33 am »

Three stages of most primitive cultures:
1. Builder/Providers/ Breeding
2. Elders/Wisdom/Experience/Teaching
3. Moribund/Drain on resources

When they get to 3, the family will care for them as long as it is feasible. But if saving the life would adversely affect the tribe, or drain resources from children and pregnant women, a hard decision would have to be made. But until recently this was not much of a concern. Only 5 to 10 percent of the population would make it to 3, and that is optimistic. As recently as two generations ago, most people simply didn't live that long.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 05:55:30 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 11:54:05 am »

You bring up a point I have been giving a lot of thought lately.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2017, 12:13:10 pm »

Not all modern Americans live like that either.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2017, 12:27:07 pm »
“If anything, it’s the anti-intellectualism of the 1950s, steak-and-potato dinners that are politically and culturally projected and defended as ‘American,’” McCarthy said.

LOL

If it's "anti-intellectual" to like steak and a baked potato, then call me that, or moron, or anything you want.
Yeah, I'm about 16 oz of medium rare Ribeye worth of anti-intellectual, there, but make my spuds Au gratin, please!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2017, 12:36:36 pm »
You bring up a point I have been giving a lot of thought lately.
Average age of Grandparents at passing: 89.5
Diet: Meat/fish/wild game heavy, with some vegetables and starches at every meal. Big breakfast, light lunch, moderate dinner. moderate to no alcohol intake some tobacco consumption during lifespan, either from smoking, working with tobacco (transdermal, from the sap on the plants), or being exposed to those.

That seems pretty successful to me.

I think if we follow the basic diet our successful ancestors did, then we follow that which our genetics is most likely set up for. Generations of DNA go into people who have been successful with those diets. and if the level of success is good or acceptable, why change the program?

Depending on ancestry, paleo-diets are not the same, determined by the resources available.
My Wife's people ate a lot of red meat (almost all wild game) fish, and fowl, and relatively low amounts of green vegetables, simply because such were not available. Tobacco use was common. Unfortunately, so was alcohol use, though not universal (she does not drink, either). Much depended on the food resources available, but longevity is dependent on so many other factors besides diet, it isn't funny.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis