Author Topic: What Are Personality Disorders?  (Read 499 times)

rangerrebew

What Are Personality Disorders?
« on: February 25, 2017, 10:02:50 pm »
What Are Personality Disorders?

Have you ever wondered if your coworker or estranged family member could possibly be suffering from a clinical personality disorder? Why are they so difficult to deal with?

By House Call Doctor Sanaz Majd on February 22, 2017

Credit: James Jester Pixabay (CC0 1.0)

More likely than not, you have had to deal with someone who just seemed a little “off” at some point in your life. Maybe a frustrating coworker who makes everyone’s lives miserable? Or an estranged family member who is often considered the “black sheep” that no one can really handle being around? Did you ever wonder if there was something actually wrong with that person, but you just couldn’t quite pinpoint what it was?

Believe it or not, “personality disorders” are actual clinical disorders. And more than likely, someone you know suffers from one. Let’s learn about them so we can best acquaint ourselves with how to handle those people in our lives.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-are-personality-disorders1/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:03:23 pm by rangerrebew »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: What Are Personality Disorders?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 11:01:17 pm »
Okaaay.

I qualify in every category in all the clusters . Cluster A: Check, Cluster B: Check, Cluster C: Check...hold it...wait...I don't see a Cluster F...what the ff kind of ffing idiot makes a ffing list with no effing cluster f for f's sakes? This fing botch has managed to ffing pss off every ffing one of me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 11:02:46 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 11:17:24 pm »
Everyone suffers from nearly everything. What constitutes a "personality disorder" is simply a matter of degree. Its when a person exhibits a single or several separate traits in excess that the disorder becomes apparent.

And I slept in a Holiday Inn last night.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 11:21:02 pm »
"Believe it or not, “personality disorders” are actual clinical disorders."

Yes, and that can be attributed to the clinicalizing of character flaws and the attempt to shift responsibility from an individual to a illness.  "He's not a bad guy, he's just sick."  May be true to some extent, and it may also be a removal of stigmas and normalization of aberrant and anti-social behaviors.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 11:45:48 pm »
I read that and it is simplistic to the point it would cause someone think he/she has this or that or that or all of them.  In real life, no one should get a diagnosis of a personality disorder unless one cannot run his/her life well anymore.