Author Topic: Trump: I won't attend White House correspondents' dinner  (Read 6511 times)

Offline Victoria33

Re: Trump: I won't attend White House correspondents' dinner
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2017, 05:08:56 pm »
@corbe

I had already seen that where Obama goaded Trump over and over.  That's why I thought he would relish going there and trashing all of them in jokes that weren't exactly jokes.  Due to that, I was surprised he didn't go.  His aim of not going is, I suppose, trying to make them look small and unimportant, not worthy of his appearance.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2017, 05:10:31 pm »
@Victoria33 this can't be repeated often enough.

Klingon fantasies.

They think they're tough and intimidating when in reality they're really just annoying and embarrassing.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2017, 05:10:34 pm »
And what happens when he needs to go on network TV to speak to the people about an issue he needs the support of the people on.

I mean everyone not just the relative handful that voted for him and the networks refuse?

How many will cheer his Alinsky style attack on the media then?

"The networks refuse"?  I suspect that would be a critical turning point, were the media to act so boldly and out of character.  I'm not real worried about that.  The reality is that the media is much more apt to continue to undermine the rule of law, the presidency and the right in general. 

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2017, 05:10:48 pm »
@corbe

I had already seen that where Obama goaded Trump over and over.  That's why I thought he would relish going there and trashing all of them in jokes that weren't exactly jokes.  Due to that, I was surprised he didn't go.  His aim of not going is, I suppose, trying to make them look small and unimportant, not worthy of his appearance.
The difference is, Obama knew the media would have his back on this.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2017, 05:15:40 pm »
Trump should go. He'd be a hit.

If Trump can keep us safe, free, and prosperous, I'm with him. And so far, he seems on that path. But to you Trump cultists, please cut the "more winning" garbage. I swear, if Trump took a dump on the desk in the Oval Office on TV, you guys would be cheering.

Mod hat off, of course.

Winning!  Nothing cultist about it all .   Just want to see Ted Cruz and others brought along for the ride.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2017, 05:17:28 pm »
For years one of the main topics of conversation between conservatives has been how bad the MSM is but now that we 'have a presidend actually trying to DO someting about that many of the same people are having cows over it.  Could it be tha many who have claimed to be conservative for all that time actually aren't?

Exactly.  Was thinking the same thing.   How many decades have we been saying that Republican Prez should skip the white house correspondents dinner?

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2017, 05:18:55 pm »
In case you failed to notice, Donald Trump is not Ronald Reagan.  He's doing it his way and guite frankly i could care less so long as it gets done!

Your statement was brilliant , Bigun - not dumb.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2017, 05:22:53 pm »
Either you've forgotten or weren't old enough to remember the MSM in the 80's... And there was no real "alternative" media to get information from then and certainly no Internet. Thinking about it, CNN's Crossfire was one of the few shows I watched back then because you could get alternative information. Think about that for a minute or two...

Right.  So push the BBC and CNN to back of the room!!!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2017, 05:25:08 pm »
The thing is, we know more about what is going on with this administration than probably with any other administration before.  How can that be if Trump truly is at war with the media?

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2017, 05:25:10 pm »
Bush got destroyed by the media and Trump is fighting back.

The media has been at war with the White House since at least the Nixon Era.

If you think this is something that just started with this election you haven't been paying attention.

Even when they were outright lying about W...he still stuck it to them by showing up at the correspondents dinner...a classy move and one that rubbed their noses in it.

Too bad Trump doesn't have that kind of courage.

Offline endicom

« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2017, 05:27:22 pm »
And what happens when he needs to go on network TV to speak to the people about an issue he needs the support of the people on.

I mean everyone not just the relative handful that voted for him and the networks refuse?

Then three corporate networks are holding the nation hostage?

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2017, 05:28:22 pm »
Trump is wisely taking the high ground on this.

And dominating the landscape from his Twitter account.

Nope didn't forget at all.  Thought he should have addressed the things they said.

However he didn't run and hide from them when it came to events like this.

This does make Trump look weak. He can dish it out but he can't take it . 

It validates just how thin skinned we all know he is. 

But there are more adult ways to handle this.

Sadly the adults aren't in charge and a bunch of juveniles are.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2017, 05:33:00 pm »
Trump is wisely taking the high ground on this.

And dominating the landscape from his Twitter account.

I'm hoping that was sarcasm.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2017, 05:37:23 pm »
Nope.  See his video linked on this site.  With his twitter account and rallies, he can speak DIRECTLY to the American people.

I'm hoping that was sarcasm.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2017, 05:40:35 pm »

Then three corporate networks are holding the nation hostage?

According to you and others who know jack squat about the media it seems to be the case.

Look when you venture outside your echo chamber or even the broader realm of political discussion boards...you have to realize that even on it's worst day...CBS news (the third place network) still draws more viewers than Fox.

As much as they are in decline...the traditional news sources on non cable networks and in print still have larger audiences than the "Conservative" media.

At some point...the Trump administration is going to need to get the message out via these media outlets he's waging war against.  When he comes to them or someone from his administration reaches out for camera time to say...talk about a new foreign policy decision to move military forces back to Subic Bay to counter illegal Chinese aggression in the region or that he's moving to bring the tax rates back to Reagan era levels...and he wants to do that during a prime time address to the nation...they are going to...and are perfectly within their right to say no.

And unless it's a 9/11 type of national disaster or declaration of war...they do NOT have to give him the air time.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2017, 05:41:33 pm »
Nope.  See his video linked on this site.  With his twitter account and rallies, he can speak DIRECTLY to the American people.

I was afraid you were...in your mind anyway...serious.

He speaks to the already converted.  He speaks to an echo chamber.  He's not speaking to the people...only drones.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2017, 05:43:34 pm »

He speaks to the already converted.  He speaks to an echo chamber.  He's not speaking to the people...only drones.

So you think the 60 million plus who voted for him are all "drones"?

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2017, 05:44:42 pm »
So when Obama attacks the media it's bad and goes against the Constitution... but when your guy does it it's somehow a blow for freedom?

You seriously underestimate how this is going to blow up in his face as well as the rest of the GOP...but you don't care because you think shouting a Charlie Sheen meme is cool.

Can you remind me of my thoughts on how Obama handled the press?; because that was was way down on my list of my problems with him. My problems with the press, however, have been expressed many times over the years. Neil Postman's seminal work, "Amusing Ourselves to Death...." opened my eyes to the true nature of the baneful influence of television on the public discourse. He was prophetic.

While I doubt if Trump has read Postman or even would find much interest in his ideas, yet his instincts are right in exposing the media's power to set the agenda and control what is even suitable to be brought into the public square; to say nothing of the foolishness, incompetence and bias.

This is what disturbing the status quo looks like. It might get a little messy, even indelicate. Our enemies won't roll over. But, we would not even getting this battle with President Hillary.

Offline endicom

« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2017, 05:46:32 pm »
According to you and others who know jack squat about the media it seems to be the case.

Look when you venture outside your echo chamber or even the broader realm of political discussion boards...you have to realize that even on it's worst day...CBS news (the third place network) still draws more viewers than Fox.

As much as they are in decline...the traditional news sources on non cable networks and in print still have larger audiences than the "Conservative" media.

At some point...the Trump administration is going to need to get the message out via these media outlets he's waging war against.  When he comes to them or someone from his administration reaches out for camera time to say...talk about a new foreign policy decision to move military forces back to Subic Bay to counter illegal Chinese aggression in the region or that he's moving to bring the tax rates back to Reagan era levels...and he wants to do that during a prime time address to the nation...they are going to...and are perfectly within their right to say no.

And unless it's a 9/11 type of national disaster or declaration of war...they do NOT have to give him the air time.

You're saying that they do in fact hold the nation hostage. Interesting.

Online corbe

« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2017, 05:47:43 pm »
   Be careful here @txradioguy

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2017, 05:51:39 pm »
@endicom makes a great point.  Trump has 50 million viewers on FB and twitter.

The networks are bleeding viewers.   

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2017, 05:53:03 pm »
50 million.  He is convertING LOTS of ppl.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2017, 05:57:29 pm »
Can you remind me of my thoughts on how Obama handled the press?; because that was was way down on my list of my problems with him. My problems with the press, however, have been expressed many times over the years. Neil Postman's seminal work, "Amusing Ourselves to Death...." opened my eyes to the true nature of the baneful influence of television on the public discourse. He was prophetic.

Paddy Chayefsky was way ahead of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFvT_qEZJf8

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2017, 05:58:46 pm »

You're saying that they do in fact hold the nation hostage. Interesting.

And there is an epidemic of Stockholm Syndrome evident on this thread.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2017, 06:00:57 pm »
"The networks refuse"?  I suspect that would be a critical turning point, were the media to act so boldly and out of character.  I'm not real worried about that.  The reality is that the media is much more apt to continue to undermine the rule of law, the presidency and the right in general.

Not really.  They didn't give Obama airtime for one of his immigration policy speeches 3 years ago.  It did run on Spanish language TV and a couple of cable outlets.

So it's not as out of character as you claim.  Certainly not a "critical turning point".  Even the rabidly left wing MSM knew this was purely a political speech and chose not to air it.

Fox also didn't air a Bush speech in 2004.