Author Topic: It Begins: Trump’s FCC Launches Attack on Net Neutrality Transparency Rules  (Read 826 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Net neutrality, the internet’s open access principle, is under assault by the Trump administration.

The Federal Communications Commission on Thursday voted to eliminate open internet transparency protections for millions of consumers, in the Trump administration's most overt salvo yet in its nascent campaign to dismantle net neutrality protections.

As a result of Thursday's action, "thousands" of small and medium-sized internet service providers (ISPs) around the country are no longer required to give their customers detailed information about broadband prices, speeds and fees, according to the FCC.

The newly-rolled-back disclosure requirements, which were designed to help consumers make informed decisions when selecting an ISP, were a key part of the FCC's 2015 policy safeguarding net neutrality, the principle that all internet content should be equally accessible.

Republican FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, a former Verizon lawyer who was installed by the Trump administration to lead the agency last month, framed Thursday's action as a move to "relieve thousands of smaller broadband providers from onerous reporting obligations."

Pai, who has claimed to be a champion of "transparency," asserted that removing the disclosure requirements would allow ISPs to save money that can then be used for broadband deployment.

But consumer advocates blasted the move as a brazen attempt to undermine net neutrality protections that open internet advocates say are essential for economic growth, civic empowerment, and free speech.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/it-begins-trumps-fcc-launches-attack-on-net-neutrality-transparency-rules
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Wingnut

It is a beautiful Day!     Kill net neutrality now and forever.  Amen

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

And  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Norm Lenhart

On the computer tech/gaming forums I frequent, it's truly scary to see how many people actually believed this fiasco was a good thing that made the net 'neutral'.

Wingnut

On the computer tech/gaming forums I frequent, it's truly scary to see how many people actually believed this fiasco was a good thing that made the net 'neutral'.

The mental midgets are among us. 

Offline Norm Lenhart

And they vote.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

In large quantities!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

Offline The_Reader_David

I gather all of you rejoicing at the demise of net neutrality are also looking forward to the repeal of anti-trust laws.

Whatever other things Obama's FCC might have put into their net neutrality regulations, the bare notion of net neutrality is a measure to prevent ISP's that also own content-providers from becoming vertical trusts and pushing competition out of either the content-provision market by making it hard for competing content to get to consumers in areas they dominate, or pushing competing ISP's out by limiting access to desirable content via other ISPs.

Like anti-trust laws, net neutrality as such is an example of a pro-market regulation, as opposed to a pro-business regulation.  I suppose you'll only understand when some leftists at the helm of the ISP you use decide to throttle traffic to conservative websites and allow fast connections only to MSNBC, The Nation, NPR,...
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline anubias

Offline Blizzardnh

Offline Just_Victor

Am I The Only Techie Against Net Neutrality?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshsteimle/2014/05/14/am-i-the-only-techie-against-net-neutrality/#6d88982d70d5

No, there are plenty of us.  I want net traffic to be "neutral" and billing to be transparent, but the market place will meet those demands without putting the government in charge of it.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline kevindavis007

In reality we need more ISP's..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

I completely agree.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline The_Reader_David

I agree.  Which is why abolishing net neutrality is a bad idea:  it lets combined ISP/content-provider vertical trusts form, giving tremendous market advantage to large incumbents and making it harder for new entrants to compete.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.