Author Topic: Fear And Panic Grows Among Immigrant Communities  (Read 449 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Fear And Panic Grows Among Immigrant Communities
« on: February 24, 2017, 04:18:15 pm »
SOURCE: OPPOSING VIEWS

URL: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/immigrants-change-routines-because-deportation-fears

by Oren Peleg

For the roughly 11 million undocumented immigrants around the United States, the new immigration and deportation policies of the Trump administration have caused a growing sense of stress and panic. Now, following a late February release of new immigration enforcement guidelines, immigrants are creating new routines to protect their lives.

"We got over 1,000 phone calls in three days about the [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] raids," Cristina Parker, immigration programs director for Grassroots Leadership, said, reports the Associated Press. "And certainly a lot of those were people who wanted information about the raids saying, 'I'm scared, I'm worried, what can I do?'... A lot of them were people who were impacted by the raids who saw a friend or family be taken."

In Los Angeles, the panic has caused many to fear even routine policing checkpoints around the city.

"[C]laiming the agency has set up checkpoints at multiple locations in Los Angeles or that the agency is conducting random 'raids' are completely baseless," Lori K. Haley, an ICE spokesperson, told LAist.

"There was no way I could sleep, worried about what was going to happen next," Edwin Romero, an immigrant living in Richardson City, Texas, said, notes WFAA. Romero was held for 15 hours in jail as authorities processed his immigration hold.

"I am deeply troubled by recent reports from across the country that immigrants with no criminal history are being arrested and deported as a result of the president’s executive orders,” Rep. Salud Carbajal, a Democrat from California, wrote in a statement, according to the Ventura County Star. He then added, “Local ICE has informed our office that so far there has been no significant change in ICE operating procedure on the Central Coast” of California.

The AP described the situation "in Orange County, California, [where] dozens of immigrant parents have signed legal documents authorizing friends and relatives to pick up their children from school and access their bank accounts to pay their bills in the event they are arrested by immigration agents."

Abril Gallardo, an immigrant living in Arizona, concluded, "We have a regular life, but with this new [Trump] executive order, anyone, just for the fact that you're here, you can become a priority."

Sources: AP via Yahoo, LAist, WFAA, Ventura County Star

Offline SirLinksALot

Re: Fear And Panic Grows Among Immigrant Communities
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 04:20:11 pm »
ALSO SEE HERE:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fearful-immigrants-steps-protect-families-trump-182830606.html

TITLE: Immigrants fearing deportation under Trump change routines
Associated Press   
DEEPTI HAJELA and AMY TAXIN
Associated PressFebruary 23, 2017

http://www.vcstar.com/story/news/local/2017/02/21/immigration-orders-stir-deportation-fears-ventura-county/98206886/

TITLE: Immigration orders stir deportation fears

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 04:21:42 pm »
POP QUIZ FOR ALL READERS: What is the adjective that is missing in the above article before the word "immigrant"?

A lot of speeches that I hear and articles that I read FAIL TO USE the adjective.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 04:26:29 pm »
POP QUIZ FOR ALL READERS: What is the adjective that is missing in the above article before the word "immigrant"?

A lot of speeches that I hear and articles that I read FAIL TO USE the adjective.

Is Illegal Alien an adjective?

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 04:26:58 pm »
Democrat?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 01:53:13 am »
Bad headline.

Immigrant communities have nothing to fear.  Illegal immigrant communities on the other hand do have something to fear.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 02:04:42 am »
Bad headline.

Immigrant communities have nothing to fear.  Illegal immigrant communities on the other hand do have something to fear.

There is no such thing as an illegal immigrant.   But there are plenty of illegal aliens.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien