Author Topic: Better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic: Pope Francis  (Read 1901 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Pope Francis criticizing some members of his own Church Thursday, suggesting that it’s better to be an atheist than one of “many” Catholics who he says lead a double life.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3269412/pope-francis-better-atheist-than-hypocritical-catholic/

This guy talking to himself about himself?

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic: Pope Francis
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 12:16:24 am »
That is getting to be language reserved for that 'Special Place' in hell.
God would never give up on people, his creation, like that.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 01:09:14 am »
So when will the Pope start excommunicating Pelosi and every single Democrat? Because it's pure hypocrisy on his/Cardinal/Bishop/Priests parts to allow them to willfully push anti-christian doctrine.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:09:54 am by Norm Lenhart »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 01:24:06 am »
What an odd thing for a Pope to say. What a strange and internally conflicted person this man is.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 01:32:42 am »
What a strange and internally conflicted person this man is.
"Liberal Communist" takes fewer letters.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 01:35:32 am »
What an odd thing for a Pope to say. What a strange and internally conflicted person this man is.

Agreed. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 01:39:33 am »
Pope Francis criticizing some members of his own Church Thursday, suggesting that it’s better to be an atheist than one of “many” Catholics who he says lead a double life.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3269412/pope-francis-better-atheist-than-hypocritical-catholic/

This guy talking to himself about himself?

His words can be interpreted to mean Christians who do not live according to Christian/Catholic doctrine reflect poorly on the faith at large. In which case I would say he has a point.

Anyway I hope this is what he meant.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:39:50 am by skeeter »

Offline r9etb

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 01:42:50 am »
His words can be interpreted to mean Christians who do not live according to Christian/Catholic doctrine reflect poorly on the faith at large. In which case I would say he has a point.

Anyway I hope this is what he meant.

Here's the money quote.  Hint: It's not even close to what the headline said:

“There are many Catholics who are like this and they cause scandal. How many times have we all heard people say ‘if that person is a Catholic, it is better to be an atheist’.”

He's saying that Christians behaving badly, give Christianity a bad name.  And he's right.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 01:49:43 am »

He's saying that Christians behaving badly, give Christianity a bad name.  And he's right.

Thats how I read it.

Now I'm sure my definition of 'behaving badly' probably differs considerably from this Pope's definition.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 01:53:32 am »
In my life, I have never heard a priest, rabbi, reverend, minister, preacher, or anyone involved in religious leadership say the words, "It is better to be an atheist than...". Those words would never cross their lips, in any situation. As long as a person is making an effort to respect God, any effort is better than none at all. That's how I was taught.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 01:58:16 am »
In my life, I have never heard a priest, rabbi, reverend, minister, preacher, or anyone involved in religious leadership say the words, "It is better to be an atheist than...". Those words would never cross their lips, in any situation. As long as a person is making an effort to respect God, any effort is better than none at all. That's how I was taught.

And, in fact, you didn't hear (or read) this Pope saying it, either.  The headline is dishonest.

geronl

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 03:11:14 am »
I'm not sure this pope is Catholic

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 11:35:30 am »
I like this Pope. He makes many uncomfortable by saying things that contradict their political philosophy.  I like that to.

Admittedly, I often just read the headline of a thread and comment, but with this Pope I always check out the article. I found noting in the article that he is actually said I would disagree with.. :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:36:06 am by montanajoe »

Offline verga

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 12:27:54 pm »
So when will the Pope start excommunicating Pelosi and every single Democrat? Because it's pure hypocrisy on his/Cardinal/Bishop/Priests parts to allow them to willfully push anti-christian doctrine.
@Norm Lenhart I have been asking that question for several years now, okay more than several, a whole bunch.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 12:32:27 pm »
@Wingnut It's only funny because it is true.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:10:59 pm by mystery-ak »
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 01:35:01 pm »

“There are many Catholics who are like this and they cause scandal. How many times have we all heard people say ‘if that person is a Catholic, it is better to be an atheist’.”

If you knew anything at all about the basis of Christianity, you would not have said that..Christianity says ALL sin.  No exceptions.  Only the belief and trust in God gives one any hope for getting out of that situation with a place in heaven.

Are there good and bad Christians? Yes.  But they are still Christians, not atheists.

God NEVER gives up on us.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 01:55:02 pm »
The mask is coming off of this "pope".

Offline r9etb

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 03:15:22 pm »
If you knew anything at all about the basis of Christianity, you would not have said that..Christianity says ALL sin.  No exceptions.  Only the belief and trust in God gives one any hope for getting out of that situation with a place in heaven.

Gee, I'm glad you set me straight on that.  I had no idea.  Seriously.  No idea.  **nononono*

But the thing is, we all know one or two self-righteous hypocrites whose behavior is a serious turn-off to those who might otherwise be seekers.  Think of your standard-issue money-grubbing televangelist, if nothing else.

That's the sort of person the Pope was talking about, on a large scale; and there are plenty of us whose behavior has chased somebody away at some time or other.

If you think you're not one of those.... check your opening comment to me.  Dang, son. 

Offline r9etb

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 03:16:24 pm »
The mask is coming off of this "pope".

Are you commenting on what he actually said, or on the dishonest headline?

The mask is coming off "dfwgator," more like.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 03:21:33 pm »

Partially right.

It is not better, however, to outright reject God than to reject His word. The two are equally sinful, and in fact the same.

"Even the demons in Hell believe, and shudder" (from James's epistle)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 03:24:19 pm »

Are there good and bad Christians? Yes.  But they are still Christians, not atheists.

God NEVER gives up on us.
That's because God owns heaven and gets to choose who gets to come into his dominion. Even if we were perfect, we'd still have to pay fealty to him, because there's only one God, and He made us forever inferior to Him. We have no choice, other than perhaps the even worse option of following Satan.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 06:46:17 pm »
So I guess Francis is an atheist? :shrug:

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 10:10:21 pm »
Gee, I'm glad you set me straight on that.  I had no idea.  Seriously.  No idea.  **nononono*

But the thing is, we all know one or two self-righteous hypocrites whose behavior is a serious turn-off to those who might otherwise be seekers.  Think of your standard-issue money-grubbing televangelist, if nothing else.

That's the sort of person the Pope was talking about, on a large scale; and there are plenty of us whose behavior has chased somebody away at some time or other.

If you think you're not one of those.... check your opening comment to me.  Dang, son.
That is a weird comment I have to say.

For example, can you explain 'chasing off'?  From what or who?  What you said explains very little.

And your last comment is weird.  I think I am not one of exactly what or who?  Dang son?

You must be making sense to yourself but you have to be a bit more specific than in talking in hyperbole.

And what is a Dang son?  Some type of Chinese dragon worshiper you conjured up? 

Offline r9etb

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 10:18:22 pm »
That is a weird comment I have to say.

For example, can you explain 'chasing off'?  From what or who?  What you said explains very little.

Oh, please.  Have you never, ever, met a person who's told you she doesn't go to church because the people inside act like hypocrites?  Surely you have.

And your last comment is weird.  I think I am not one of exactly what or who?  Dang son?

You must be making sense to yourself but you have to be a bit more specific than in talking in hyperbole.

And what is a Dang son?  Some type of Chinese dragon worshiper you conjured up?

All that ridiculous typing, because you did not take note of the helpful comma. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 12:18:39 am »
I can't really put a finger on it but this pope creeps me out.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley