Author Topic: Delaware's District 10 special election is the focus of unprecedented national attention--and national spending  (Read 317 times)

Offline Suppressed

Delaware's District 10 special election is the focus of unprecedented national attention--and national spending
Allan Loudell  Published Feb 21, 2017 at 5:55 pm | Updated Feb 22, 2017 at 4:59 pm

A special election to fill the District 10 state Senate seat, vacated by Bethany Hall-Long, now Lt. Governor, has drawn not just national attention, but national funding as well.

It is an unprecedented amount---perhaps nearly 10 times as much as what is traditionally spent on a local state Senate seat race.  Observers said it would appear to be the Democratic Party pushing to maintain one of its final bastions of control in a state, following what many in the party feel was a shocking loss nationwide during the presidential election.

Democrat Stephanie Hansen is competing against Republican John Marino and Libertarian Joe Lanzendorfer in the race.  Heffron said Democrats, traditionally, don't fare as well when it comes to voter turnout in "off" elections, but party members would seem to be much more motivated in this instance given the stakes in Delaware and the national mood.

The special election will be held Saturday, February 25, 2017.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

Er, this is Delaware. The Rat is going to win. The Rat always wins.

Offline Suppressed

The Delaware Senate is tied at 10-10, so this seat will give control.  Republican John Marino has run before and lost in this district, while Stephanie Hansen is a popular and smart environmental lawyer...and a Dem in a Dem district.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

Er, this is Delaware. The Rat is going to win. The Rat always wins.

I think you're right, but the GOP has to make the attempt.  IF they could win it, then the Dems wouldn't have the senate.
+++++++++

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Even if the Rep loses, always make the Dems spend money for safe seats.
The Republic is lost.