Author Topic: Two Cheers for a Carbon Tax  (Read 719 times)

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Two Cheers for a Carbon Tax
« on: February 21, 2017, 03:14:05 pm »
By all means, let's have a carbon tax. It's the best way to deal with global climate change. It would require Republicans and Democrats to compromise -- a good thing -- and would provide revenues for a government that desperately needs more revenue. Fine. But let's not pretend that a carbon tax is a panacea for either climate change or too much debt.

With most Republicans -- and some Democrats -- hostile to any tax increase, a carbon tax remains a long shot. Still, the odds have shortened, because some respected Republican elders recently endorsed it. These include George Shultz, James Baker and Henry Paulson. All were treasury secretary and/or secretary of state in administrations from Richard Nixon to George W. Bush.

<snip>

"It is inherently difficult to convince people to endure costs now for benefits that accrue to others 30 years hence," writes Ted Halstead, head of the Climate Leadership Council, sponsor of the carbon-tax plan. "Even then, such 'benefits' will manifest in the form of the situation getting less worse, rather than an outright improvement."

To overcome this objection, the Republican plan would rebate all the money raised by the carbon tax. There would be a flat quarterly "carbon dividend" -- the poor would get the same as the rich -- starting at about $2,000 annually for a family of four. As the tax rose, so would the "dividend." The politics of a carbon tax would change, argues Halstead, because most Americans would receive "benefits in the here and now."

What's not to like? We can fight global warming and favor the middle class and poor. Actually, it's not so simple.

[excerpted]

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/02/20/two_cheers_for_a_carbon_tax_133126.html
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Two Cheers for a Carbon Tax
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 03:29:08 pm »
Taxation = benefit? Nope. There would be no benefits of this...

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 04:20:37 pm »
Would this tax be applied around the globe?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:25:53 pm »
Hip Huzzah! NOT!

[attachment deleted by admin]
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline CSM

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 04:42:14 pm »
-- and would provide revenues for a government that desperately needs more revenue.

Which government is that?  The US federal gov't gets plenty of revenue...actually, it gets way too much revenue already!

geronl

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 05:37:16 pm »
no no no no no no

the "Republican Plan" sounds even worse, it creates a whole new entitlement

Online Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:09:07 am »
What part of 'Taxed Enough Already' do you not get?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 07:20:44 am »
In related news....

A Depression? Hardly

By Robert J. Samuelson
Wednesday, July 23, 2008

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/22/AR2008072202115.html

But on the whole, the banking system seems fairly strong. Although profits in the first quarter of 2008 were down 46 percent from 2007, they totaled $19 billion even after $37 billion set aside for loan loss reserves. Overall corporate profits are still running at a near-record annual rate of $1.5 trillion.

And then this happened just a couple months later....

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2008/dec/28/markets-credit-crunch-banking-2008
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:21:45 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 07:33:43 am »
I'm pretty sure Baker and Shultz are both dead already.  Fake news!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:34:05 am by Once-Ler »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 01:34:53 pm »
From the article...
"It is inherently difficult to convince people to endure costs now for benefits that accrue to others 30 years hence,"

And how is that measured? Climate change is too dynamic and a natural part of Earth for them to be able to show if the tax "worked" or not. That's why Statists love the Anthropogenic Climate Change cause. They will never be wrong regardless what happens to the climate and demand more and  more of people's earnings for something they never will or can really repair
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 01:38:36 pm »
In related news....

A Depression? Hardly

By Robert J. Samuelson
Wednesday, July 23, 2008

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/22/AR2008072202115.html

But on the whole, the banking system seems fairly strong. Although profits in the first quarter of 2008 were down 46 percent from 2007, they totaled $19 billion even after $37 billion set aside for loan loss reserves. Overall corporate profits are still running at a near-record annual rate of $1.5 trillion.

And then this happened just a couple months later....

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2008/dec/28/markets-credit-crunch-banking-2008

In the media, being wrong means bigger success
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline rodamala

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 02:30:47 pm »
Bob Samuelson can f*** right off.