Author Topic: The Trump-Reagan parallels  (Read 5288 times)

Offline bolobaby

Re: The Trump-Reagan parallels
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2017, 07:43:05 pm »
Interesting @bolobaby  ... I wonder why you're afraid to take your tired, worn out blather directly to me.   :pondering:

Didn't my comment say it all? I learned early on that you aren't interested in logic and facts.

Never try to reason a person out of a position they weren't reasoned into in the the first place.

So that's why I usually don't address you directly. Your Trump Safe Space antics said it all during the primary.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 07:44:13 pm »
Actually, we've already seen absurd parallels with those, and more (including Churchill  :silly: ).

This has been full blown for quite some time.

My favorite was Seabiscuit. Trump is seabiscuit. Those words were actually uttered on this very forum.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2017, 07:48:52 pm »

My favorite was Seabiscuit. Trump is seabiscuit. Those words were actually uttered on this very forum.

Could that commentator have meant to suggest he was a horse's ass?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2017, 07:58:08 pm »
Didn't my comment say it all? I learned early on that you aren't interested in logic and facts.

Never try to reason a person out of a position they weren't reasoned into in the the first place.

So that's why I usually don't address you directly. Your Trump Safe Space antics said it all during the primary.

Oh, dear @bolobaby   You appear to be confused and desperately stuck in the past.  Sad.

I'll be here to help you face reality and educate yourself.  I won't ask you to reply, so don't worry about that - - -paying attention will do just fine.

Be well.   :beer:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2017, 08:04:33 pm »
Speaking as someone who remembers when Harry Truman assumed the presidency on the death of FDR, I hope you will reserve your lecture for other venues.

I'll defer you to then as my elder.

As such, I will only say I'm not pleased with anybody joking about dementia.

Not you, not others. Not a lecture, merely an observation.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2017, 08:05:51 pm »
They had dementia in common.  Reagan at the end of his two terms.   Trump entered the office with the disease.

Really? You ever catch the first Reagan debate with Mondull?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2017, 08:07:26 pm »
Which pea-brained-offspring-of-first-cousins brought evan mcmuffin into the conversation?

So you #NeverTrumps are washing your hands of that moron? This is quite a sea change in a couple short months.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2017, 08:20:11 pm »

I'm kinda glad I missed that one.

But I guess it's better than calling him Secretariat, and actually surprising that no one has done that yet.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2017, 08:20:53 pm »
I remember the media ridiculing Bess Truman for not wearing more fashionable attire when she was first lady.
Don't remember her whining about it.
Next up, the media was after Eisenhower from the start.  Too much golf.  Do Nothing President.  All those pocket vetoes. (am I having a Dan Quayle moment)
The msm always believed they were the last word on EVERYTHING.
This is the ONLY administration that whines whine and whines some more.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2017, 08:22:02 pm »
I remember the media ridiculing Bess Truman for not wearing more fashionable attire when she was first lady.

Wow... how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2017, 08:25:33 pm »
So you #NeverTrumps are washing your hands of that moron? This is quite a sea change in a couple short months.

It's interesting that so many of you Trumpists put everyone who opposed Trump in any way for any reason into one stupid, monolithic category.

Do you actually think, Frank, that we all opposed this terrible candidate for the same reason, and chose the same person to vote for instead?  If so, you are sadly mistaken.

And I'm sorry to see that......

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2017, 08:29:18 pm »

My vote (we have such an option in Nevada) was "None of These Candidates."

I have no regret about that vote, either.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2017, 08:58:13 pm »
I'm more baffled how an old party game became news. Pick any two people from history and find 10 similarities - the slightly more educated version of 6 degrees of Bacon.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2017, 09:13:48 pm »

Wow... how old are you if you don't mind me asking?
Sadly, I am old enough to lament that this presidential election might have been my last and I did NOT vote for President.
Hope I live long enough to get another chance.    Always voted Republican, altho you had to be 21 way back in the day.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2017, 11:31:43 pm »

Well, that's likely half right... :tongue2: :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2017, 11:37:00 pm »
I never supported him either. In fact I was pretty 'vocal' about who I did support, given the remaining options. Maybe folks didn't read that far.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2017, 11:38:01 pm »
Sadly, I am old enough to lament that this presidential election might have been my last and I did NOT vote for President.
Hope I live long enough to get another chance.    Always voted Republican, altho you had to be 21 way back in the day.
Well, I, for one, hope you get as many more opportunities to vote for POTUS as you want.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:38:18 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2017, 01:13:04 am »
"Forgotten no longer"

@Right_in_Virginia

That's the guy who salutes a cardboard cut-out of Trump every day, right?

I actually feel bad for him.  I don't know any grown men who felt forgotten until they hurled themselves into a politician's arms, and then everything was all right.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2017, 02:24:58 pm »

@Rivergirl

There was no Republican to vote for this time around.

Lord willing, we'll both have someone to vote for in 2020.   :0001:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:35:16 pm by musiclady »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2017, 02:26:24 pm »

@Right_in_Virginia

That's the guy who salutes a cardboard cut-out of Trump every day, right?

I actually feel bad for him.  I don't know any grown men who felt forgotten until they hurled themselves into a politician's arms, and then everything was all right.

There are SO many parallels with Obama and Trump fans, aren't there?  Remember how people thought Obama was going to pay their rent and buy them appliances?

Same deal here.

Sad.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2017, 02:29:13 pm »
@Rivergirl

There was no Republican to vote for this time around.

Lord willing, we'll both have someone to vote for in 2016.   :0001:

You living in a parallel world that is 6 months behind ours? I hate to break it to you but Trump wins.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2017, 02:30:02 pm »
There are SO many parallels with Obama and Trump fans, aren't there?  Remember how people thought Obama was going to pay their rent and buy them appliances?

Same deal here.

Sad.

To be completely fair, Trump has occasionally done that for people. The Worm, never. We'd have heard about it 24/7 if he had.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:30:39 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2017, 03:00:06 pm »

Same deal here.

Sad.

Yes, I remember people saying this about Trump NOT.

Sad.

Of course, I'm sure there are dozens and dozens of articles that show this point NOT.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:00:38 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2017, 03:02:20 pm »
You living in a parallel world that is 6 months behind ours? I hate to break it to you but Trump wins.

Their idea of conservative may be one who stands for open borders, compromising with the Democrats and one who hurts the Republican brand, in other words, George Dubya Bush.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2017, 03:05:03 pm »
Their idea of conservative may be one who stands for open borders, compromising with the Democrats and one who hurts the Republican brand, in other words, George Dubya Bush.

I'd be very interested in seeing your idea of "conservative," and how Trump could be described as such.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:05:22 pm by r9etb »