Author Topic: Hundreds busted in Super Bowl human trafficking sex sting  (Read 1709 times)

rangerrebew

Hundreds busted in Super Bowl human trafficking sex sting
« on: February 21, 2017, 03:22:43 pm »
Hundreds busted in Super Bowl human trafficking sex sting

Feb. 14, 2017 - 1:31 - More than 500 individuals arrested in ‘National Johns Suppression Initiative’ leading up to Super Bowl LI, for allegedly trying to buy or sell sex

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5323195225001/?intcmp=obnetwork#sp=show-clips
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:23:16 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

Re: Hundreds busted in Super Bowl human trafficking sex sting
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 03:30:20 pm »
I note the huge push of calling any prostitution "human trafficking", to imply it's all sex slaves.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 03:38:05 pm »
I note the huge push of calling any prostitution "human trafficking", to imply it's all sex slaves.

Unfortunately, too much of it is. And my definition of too much is any.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 03:40:51 pm »

The term makes prostitutes sympathetic figures and puts criminal focus on the johns & pimps.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 03:54:50 pm »
Unfortunately, too much of it is. And my definition of too much is any.
@EC

A townhouse I own is in Montgomery County which butts up to Harris County (Houston) north of Houston.  I get notices from the Montgomery County Sheriff's dept. at various times of day when something happens, like wrecks, thefts, murder, etc. 

A few days before the Super Bowl, that department sent out a notice that all law enforcement in Montgomery County would be working during that Super Bowl weekend to find and arrest those trying to buy sex in the southern part of the county where it links to Harris County.  They were a part of that crackdown on sex trafficking.

My opinion on buying sex, is, leave people alone.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 04:07:01 pm »
Bet it pales in comparison to NBA All-Star Weekend.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 04:28:49 pm »
This isn't even close to human trafficking. whoever is pushing this new definition in TX needs to be shut down for being a general stupid person with a radical agenda....

What is Human Trafficking?

Article 3, paragraph (a) of the Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons defines Trafficking in Persons as the recruitment, transportation, transfer, harbouring or receipt of persons, by means of the threat or use of force or other forms of coercion, of abduction, of fraud, of deception, of the abuse of power or of a position of vulnerability or of the giving or receiving of payments or benefits to achieve the consent of a person having control over another person, for the purpose of exploitation. Exploitation shall include, at a minimum, the exploitation of the prostitution of others or other forms of sexual exploitation, forced labour or services, slavery or practices similar to slavery, servitude or the removal of organs

https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/human-trafficking/what-is-human-trafficking.html

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 04:33:51 pm »

@Victoria33

Almost the same as me. Someone wishes to sell their sexual services - fine by me. Someone forced or coerced into selling their sexual services - not fine at all.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 05:10:23 pm »

Wow, just wow.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 05:30:29 pm »
Are some people actually ever conservative?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 05:33:03 pm »
Wow, just wow.

You're aware that it is called The Oldest Profession for a reason.

geronl

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 05:33:10 pm »
"Honest, I wasn't trying to sell sex... I was simply measuring my value on the free market. See, I've been a bit depressed these past few years..."

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 05:34:16 pm »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 05:38:43 pm »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 10:25:10 pm »
I'd rather not die a virgin; I'm just saying it'd be nice to have a way to ‘do it’ legally!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:30:42 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 10:30:28 pm »
Wow, just wow.

Sounds like you had a good transaction!

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 10:37:21 pm »
@Victoria33

Almost the same as me. Someone wishes to sell their sexual services - fine by me. Someone forced or coerced into selling their sexual services - not fine at all.

Thats where I am on it as well. I will never understand how 'conservatism' ever got wrapped up in the idea that what someone does sexually/chemically with themselves and anyone else consensually is any concern of society. If they cause issues for anyone else in the process, then prosecute that.

Ppersonally I don't partake and either of those isues but what right do I have to tell another adult Aamerican they cant? I can tell them it's a bad idea but thats about it.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 01:06:03 am »
Thats where I am on it as well. I will never understand how 'conservatism' ever got wrapped up in the idea that what someone does sexually/chemically with themselves and anyone else consensually is any concern of society. If they cause issues for anyone else in the process, then prosecute that.

Ppersonally I don't partake and either of those isues but what right do I have to tell another adult Aamerican they cant? I can tell them it's a bad idea but thats about it.
There's a fairly simple compromise: legalize prostitution, but don't legalize pimping. If one wants to make money off sex, they have to do the deed themselves. The exploitation angle disappears.

The only real threat to society it poses is the same one that legalizing sodomy (which SCOTUS, IMO quite recklessly, did about a decade back) poses, and that is disease.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 05:43:43 am »
@TomSea

Yes, I am.  And as such, I know that the government has no business in telling me what to do regarding a transaction between two consenting adults.  If a lady is willing to pay for my companionship and I'm willing to charge her for my time and labor, then the only business of the government is whether I'm paying them their cut of the income, along with any other valid regulation.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 06:16:11 am »
I'd rather not die a virgin; I'm just saying it'd be nice to have a way to ‘do it’ legally!

:thumbsup3:

It's nobody's GD business what adults do in this area. We got gays getting married, polygamists with TV shows not to mention the filthy dirty Duggars creeps have a show and I can't partake in a solicitation from a consenting adult at a strip club without going to jail. Total and 100% bullshit. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 07:13:00 am »
How did whoever pay for the services then?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 07:16:00 am »
@TomSea

Yes, I am.  And as such, I know that the government has no business in telling me what to do regarding a transaction between two consenting adults.  If a lady is willing to pay for my companionship and I'm willing to charge her for my time and labor, then the only business of the government is whether I'm paying them their cut of the income, along with any other valid regulation.
We aren't talking about 'consenting adults' here, often the people being trafficked are neither (consenting nor adult). That's just wrong.

I like the idea of decriminalizing providing services (consensually), but eliminating the 'promoters', pimps, whatever you want to call them. Parts of the country have a legal brothel industry, licensed, and medically supervised.
I have never used such services, but again, those transactions should be limited to those who undertake them without coercion and who are of age to be able to enter into business arrangements.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:20:58 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 10:22:46 am »
We aren't talking about 'consenting adults' here, often the people being trafficked are neither (consenting nor adult). That's just wrong.

I don't think anyone here is talking about legalization for non-consenting adults.

I have never used such services, but again, those transactions should be limited to those who undertake them without coercion and who are of age to be able to enter into business arrangements.

I think that's the presumption we have for any tranaction.  There are already laws on the books to stop child labor, for example.  As you say, prostitution can be legalized without allowing coercion or underage participation.
+++++++++