Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE: Port Authority Police Dept. orders suicide prevention cops not to pull potential jumpers to safety  (Read 397 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
 New marching orders given to suicide prevention cops who patrol the George Washington Bridge forbid them from grabbing people trying to jump from the span.

The Port Authority Police Department directive, some officers say, could present cops with a soul-searching dilemma: Defy the order and save would-be jumpers — or potentially let them die.

The order issued Monday requires officers assigned to the “suicide squad” to wait for members of the department’s Emergency Service Unit to arrive, rather than try to pull people to safety.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/port-authority-pd-orders-suicide-squad-cops-not-grab-jumpers-article-1.2978879

Whats the effing point of the suicide squad then? This is messed up.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Suppressed

Whats the effing point of the suicide squad then? This is messed up.

Really.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Seriously, though, the reason for this is that the walkway cops don't have the safety harnesses or training of the Emergency Service Unit.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:05:43 pm by Wingnut »