Author Topic: Tougher Alcohol Laws Mean Fewer Young People Killed on the Road  (Read 489 times)

rangerrebew

Tougher Alcohol Laws Mean Fewer Young People Killed on the Road
« on: February 21, 2017, 11:57:25 am »
Tougher Alcohol Laws Mean Fewer Young People Killed on the Road
9 percent drop in deaths where policies to discourage drinking and driving among all motorists were most stringent
Email this page to a friend Print Facebook Twitter Google+ Subscribe to RSS
Monday, February 13, 2017
HealthDay news image

MONDAY, Feb. 13, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- In U.S. states with the toughest laws to discourage drinking and driving, fewer children and teens were killed in car crashes, a new study shows.

Half of motor vehicle accidents that claim the lives of children and teens in the United States are fueled by alcohol, the researchers noted.

Of the nearly 85,000 kids and teens killed in car crashes in the United States between 2000 and 2013, 28 percent involved drivers who were legally drunk. About half the children died in crashes where the driver had any alcohol in his or her system, according to the study.

https://medlineplus.gov/news/fullstory_163558.html
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:58:00 am by rangerrebew »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Tougher Alcohol Laws Mean Fewer Young People Killed on the Road
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 02:12:05 pm »
"Fueled by alcohol"? Well, get that crap out of the gasoline, then.

How many involved some dipsh*t messing with a cell phone ("smart", or otherwise)?

As far as "any alcohol" in their system, is this another push for another revision downward of the legal limits? That might include 0.01 or 0.005% BAC to cross the threshold of 'alcohol involvement'. Which means an accident caused by anything from mechanical failure, infrastructure collapse, to another driver on their phone would be considered 'alcohol involved', provided they had a detectable amount of alcohol in their system. I think that is bogus.

While the 28% over the legal limit may be a valid concern, claiming nearly half when just over a fourth were actually legally drunk (BAC= or > 0.08%--two to three drinks for most folks), or half that for holders of commercial drivers' licenses (0.04%--a second beer is too many) isn't accurate.

Put that in perspective. I quit drinking nearly 30 years ago, and think most folks can hold their mud well enough to drive if other factors aren't involved. But nowadays, people aren't learning to drive, half the time the vehicle is involved in everything from traction control to antilock braking, to shifting gears, and will do even more for the people behind the wheel--which leaves them free to be distracted in other ways.

Or better yet, over half of those accidents where kids were killed did not involve any alcohol at all, much less as a causative factor.

I;m not for people driving impaired, but let's have some honesty.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:13:24 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline uglybiker

Re: Tougher Alcohol Laws Mean Fewer Young People Killed on the Road
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:26:22 pm »
.gov

Anymore, that's enough to spike the ol' Skept-O-Meter right there.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!