Author Topic: As Overheated Prisoners Die, Texas Jailers to Stand Trial Over Sweltering Conditions  (Read 2000 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Between 1998 and 2011, at least 21 inmates died of heat-related illnesses in prison, with ten of them dying in 2011 alone. And that count only includes inmates whose cause of death was specifically and solely due to the heat, not deaths in which heat was a contributing factor. In 2012, the family of a man who died of hyperthermia in the Hutchins State Jail sued the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, claiming top officials' indifference to the inhumane conditions of the prison led to Larry McCollum's death in 2011.

McCollum had been sentenced to serve 12 months in prison for the crime of writing a hot check — yet from the sounds of U.S. District Judge Keith Ellison's 83-page order, he might as well have been sentenced to serve time in the closest place on Earth to Hell.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/as-overheated-prisoners-die-texas-jailers-to-stand-trial-over-sweltering-conditions-9202520
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Applewood

Friend of mine has a  young grandson in prison somewhere in Texas.  She told me about the lack of air conditioning in the prison and the sweltering heat.  Apparently, they don't coddle prisoners in Texas.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Poor babies.... :whistle:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Wingnut

Friend of mine has a  young grandson in prison somewhere in Texas.  She told me about the lack of air conditioning in the prison and the sweltering heat.  Apparently, they don't coddle prisoners in Texas.

During my unfortunate and unjust incarceration (as i was the only one in my "group" who was actually innocent), I found the TX work crews can be hard on a body.

geronl

It's not like we put them out in the desert in tents.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Did some time in Bastrop county jail.
Got lucky in several ways.
Got put in G block, minimum security.
If you have to be in jail, it was the best place to be.
It was autumn, so the weather was perfect.
If the block door was open or closed, made no difference.
No need for heat or cooling.
Became a trustee doing road work all day, which I kind of enjoyed, in a way. Outside all day, special food all you could eat, and we could smoke.

It wasn't so bad. My time went by very quickly.
Work all day. Sleep all night. Rinse and repeat.

I could tell some stories about some things I saw there. Most striking was walking through the female ward. The screaming, yelling, and crying, sounded just like one of those Holloween sound tracks. It really was kind of spooky.

But yeah. Once was an adventure, but I wouldn't do it again. I just got very lucky in several ways.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 12:04:00 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Between 1998 and 2011, at least 21 inmates died of heat-related illnesses in prison, with ten of them dying in 2011 alone. And that count only includes inmates whose cause of death was specifically and solely due to the heat, not deaths in which heat was a contributing factor. In 2012, the family of a man who died of hyperthermia in the Hutchins State Jail sued the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, claiming top officials' indifference to the inhumane conditions of the prison led to Larry McCollum's death in 2011.

McCollum had been sentenced to serve 12 months in prison for the crime of writing a hot check — yet from the sounds of U.S. District Judge Keith Ellison's 83-page order, he might as well have been sentenced to serve time in the closest place on Earth to Hell.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/as-overheated-prisoners-die-texas-jailers-to-stand-trial-over-sweltering-conditions-9202520
Texas prisoners have always worked chain gangs, and I bet the related deaths from that onerous work were higher.

We cannot coddle criminals or unduly tax ourselves to care for them either.

No, they do not deserve what an average citizens possesses. They gave that up when they were convicted.

Put the pink panties back on them and let them suffer and realize that they need to have accountability for their actions.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Idiot

During my unfortunate and unjust incarceration (as i was the only one in my "group" who was actually innocent), I found the TX work crews can be hard on a body.
@Wingnut
Of course you were innocent.....they all are.  :smokin:

Wingnut

@Wingnut
Of course you were innocent.....they all are.  :smokin:

I have a pardon.  I can't say why or how,,,,

Offline Idiot

Just giving you a hard time....  If it weren't for the grace of God go I....

Have a great weekend buddy!
@Wingnut

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:30:55 am by mrpotatohead »

Wingnut

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

The FFIA....

:silly: :smokin: :nono: ****slapping

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Texas prisoners have always worked chain gangs, and I bet the related deaths from that onerous work were higher.

We cannot coddle criminals or unduly tax ourselves to care for them either.

No, they do not deserve what an average citizens possesses. They gave that up when they were convicted.

Put the pink panties back on them and let them suffer and realize that they need to have accountability for their actions.

You seem to think that nobody is ever wrongly convicted, or that good people never go to prison.

Hope it never happens to you. All it takes is one dishonest witness.

Just saying.  :whistle:

Offline Victoria33

@bigheadfred
@musiclady
@Oceander
@mystery-ak

I can speak directly to this as a friend of mine was an official in the largest Texas prison, where executions take place, Huntsville, TX.  Criminals sentenced to death are kept there on death row.  He lived in our county, not the county where the prison is, but it is easy travel distance to Huntsville.  He was an election judge for us, so I was his friend. 

Sometimes, he was the person who pushed the button to execute criminals.  One day he told me, he was the person who pushed that button the day before to kill a criminal and he didn't feel bad about it as this criminal had killed several people.  I don't remember how it came up, but he said there is no air conditioning in those buildings where the criminals are.   He said they put themselves there and Texas wasn't going to pay to keep them comfortable. 

Now, that is Texas, and the temps in summer in Texas are brutal, but when you think about it, the worst criminals in the state, should have thought about their future when they killed people or did other heinous criminal acts so bad they were in that prison.  Perhaps the ones who get out will think about it before they do another criminal act to put themselves back in there.

The Texas Rehabilitation Agency would send ex-criminals to me be to tested when they got out of prison.  The first question I ask them was this:  "How many times were you put in isolation?"  If they had not been, it was possible they could be rehabilitated.  If a man cannot follow the rules in prison, and get put in isolation, it is less likely they can be rehabilitated.  One ex-prisoner told me he was put in isolation when he got there because he told the warden what rules he would not follow while he was there.  If he wouldn't follow the rules there, it was likely he wouldn't follow the laws after he got out.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Unless the judge orders you to be staked out under the sun you shouldn't be staked out under the sun.

A person who is incarcerated should have the expectation of the limits imposed by being convicted. But when you remove a person's ability to reasonably care for themselves that person should have the expectation that reasonable care should be given to them.

That is a consequence a civilized society MUST pay.

Offline Victoria33

Unless the judge orders you to be staked out under the sun you shouldn't be staked out under the sun.  A person who is incarcerated should have the expectation of the limits imposed by being convicted. But when you remove a person's ability to reasonably care for themselves that person should have the expectation that reasonable care should be given to them.
@bigheadfred

I think I remember there are no more prisoner work gangs in Texas.  Would have to look that up to be positive.

Offline Victoria33

I have a very close relative whose job it was to review the death row cases then advise the governor on whether to proceed carrying out the death penalty.  They then had to be in the governors office as the penalty was being carried out.  No stress in this job....lol. 
@Victoria33
@mrpotatohead

That relative must be an internal strong person.  My prison official friend was such a person. One time his house was damaged (don't remember the details) and he knew which freed prisoner did it and he was caught.  He had multiple security measures at his house.

You seem to think that nobody is ever wrongly convicted, or that good people never go to prison.

Hope it never happens to you. All it takes is one dishonest witness.

Just saying.  :whistle:
Life can be tough, but I'll take my chances.

Staying in Texas increases my odds of staying out of those places.

The wrongly convicted are very few and far between, and don't worry, Obama pardoned all of them.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Unless the judge orders you to be staked out under the sun you shouldn't be staked out under the sun.

A person who is incarcerated should have the expectation of the limits imposed by being convicted. But when you remove a person's ability to reasonably care for themselves that person should have the expectation that reasonable care should be given to them.

It's not like AC has been around all that long historically speaking. It's a luxury item. There are plenty of poor folks who can't afford it.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

It's not like AC has been around all that long historically speaking. It's a luxury item. There are plenty of poor folks who can't afford it.
The house where I grew up never had it in the sweltering Texas heat.

Had to leave home before I knew what it was.

Offline anubias

The house where I grew up never had it in the sweltering Texas heat.

Had to leave home before I knew what it was.

Buildings in the pre-AC days were built quite a bit differently.  I can't imagine being in a building with no windows in the Texas heat.  I'd think it would get extremely hot in them.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

I'm not saying they should have creature comforts. What I am saying is if the punishment is worse than the crime we've failed.

I also believe a death sentence is that. Not a long protracted prison term.

But the justice system does too many things that are completely bass ackwards.

I'm not saying they should have creature comforts. What I am saying is if the punishment is worse than the crime we've failed.

We have a set of laws already and a judicial system that decide the punishment of crimes.  It is heavily involved.

Let it be used rather than us back-benchers second-guessing law enforcement and judges.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
We have a set of laws already and a judicial system that decide the punishment of crimes.  It is heavily involved.

Let it be used rather than us back-benchers second-guessing law enforcement and judges.

uh huh

I'm not second guessing.

uh huh

I'm not second guessing.
Yes you are as you stated by the statement you made, as you implied something is wrong on the way we incarcerate people.