Author Topic: Report: Trump administration eyes changes to trade deficit calculations  (Read 485 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The Trump administration is considering changing how U.S. trade deficits are calculated, a move that would make the deficit look larger on paper, the Wall Street Journal reported.

People involved in the discussions told the Journal that the leading idea is to count “re-exports” — goods that are imported to the U.S., and then exported to a third country unchanged — as imports, but not exports.

The change would inflate the trade deficit number, an important figure in trade negotiations and policy.

For example, under new calculations, the $63.1 billion trade deficit with Mexico last year would become a $115.4 billion deficit.

One person familiar with the discussions told the WSJ that the new methodology could even convert a trade surplus into a deficit.

More: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/320320-report-trump-administration-eyes-changes-to-trade-deficit

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Suppressed

Re: Report: Trump administration eyes changes to trade deficit calculations
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 02:45:32 pm »
Trump: Fake Math
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 02:53:24 pm »
Expand?

I know two things about economics - jack and all. Can run a household, but that's my limit.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline FS7

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 02:57:39 pm »
That is straight fraud.

It's unclear precisely how it's calculated now, but a half-second of logical thought should tell you that it is either neither or both - it should have no effect on the ledger, ideally, but offsetting imports and exports are equally viable (even if they skew the totals somewhat).

But then, while it was bad when the leftists manipulated the facts regarding unemployment, global warming, and everything else, now it will be OK.