Author Topic: Ky. Senate considers civics test as diploma requirement  (Read 720 times)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Ky. Senate considers civics test as diploma requirement
« on: February 18, 2017, 07:54:17 pm »
Ky. Senate considers civics test as diploma requirement

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Ky-Senate-considers-civics-test-as-diploma-requirement-414125053.html

ASHLAND, Ky. (WSAZ) -- Do you know how many Amendments are in the Constitution or how many voting members there are in the House of Representatives? That's the information you may need if you want to get a diploma in Kentucky in another two years.

The State Senate is considering a bill requiring all public school students to pass a civics test before they could get a diploma. The questions would be taken from the federal government's test for citizenship.

Senate Bill 159 would require students to pass a civics test to get a diploma.

Some possible questions seem pretty easy, like naming the first president or how long does a president’s term in office last.

But others are not so easy, for example, what was the primary concern of the United States during the Cold War or name two Cabinet-level positions.

The Kentucky Senate is considering a bill requiring students to pass 60 out of 100 civics questions to get a diploma.

"If you're going to be in this country, you should know quite a bit about the country you're in," said Emmett Gregory.

.... (more at link)

Note - Kentucky has a Republican-run State Government for the first time in 75 years. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Ky. Senate considers civics test as diploma requirement
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:17:19 pm »
I like it, but it should also be a test for voter registration acceptance.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Ky. Senate considers civics test as diploma requirement
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 09:38:54 pm »
I like it, but it should also be a test for voter registration acceptance.

I could not agree more!  (although I probably would have to study up to pass it myself - but that's a GOOD thing)
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!