Author Topic: N.S.A. Gets More Latitude to Share Intercepted Communications  (Read 1636 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
N.S.A. Gets More Latitude to Share Intercepted Communications
« on: February 18, 2017, 04:31:44 pm »
N.S.A. Gets More Latitude to Share Intercepted Communications

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/us/politics/nsa-gets-more-latitude-to-share-intercepted-communications.html?_r=0

By CHARLIE SAVAGE   JAN. 12, 2017

WASHINGTON — In its final days, the Obama administration has expanded the power of the National Security Agency to share globally intercepted personal communications with the government’s 16 other intelligence agencies before applying privacy protections.

The new rules significantly relax longstanding limits on what the N.S.A. may do with the information gathered by its most powerful surveillance operations, which are largely unregulated by American wiretapping laws. These include collecting satellite transmissions, phone calls and emails that cross network switches abroad, and messages between people abroad that cross domestic network switches.

snip
----------------------------------------------------------
hmmmmm

This one seems to have gotten by with little notice. But doesn't it explain a lot?

@LonestarDream
@EC
@Norm Lenhart

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: N.S.A. Gets More Latitude to Share Intercepted Communications
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 04:41:21 pm »
Got to admit, the new regs are no skin of my nose personally, and I can see the advantages from a purely security oriented perspective.

From a rights perspective, it's a nightmare. The principle that a person can't be force to self incriminate goes out the window, for starters.

However, the biggie, (and I'm assuming the reason you pinged me, @don-o ) is infiltration. We've discussed the Worm's formation of something approaching a shadow presidency - with this regulation he no longer needs loyalists all over. One at the right level in any of the security agencies will do. Doesn't even have to be a high level position - just a level that allows access to the NSA data dumps.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 04:43:27 pm »
Got to admit, the new regs are no skin of my nose personally, and I can see the advantages from a purely security oriented perspective.

From a rights perspective, it's a nightmare. The principle that a person can't be force to self incriminate goes out the window, for starters.

However, the biggie, (and I'm assuming the reason you pinged me, @don-o ) is infiltration. We've discussed the Worm's formation of something approaching a shadow presidency - with this regulation he no longer needs loyalists all over. One at the right level in any of the security agencies will do. Doesn't even have to be a high level position - just a level that allows access to the NSA data dumps.

Nailed it!

@EC @don-o   

Did the Trump administration authorize this or is it a last minute work of the worm?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:44:27 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 04:46:37 pm »
Nailed it!

@EC @don-o   

Did the Trump administration authorize this or is it a last minute work of the worm?

Approved 3 Jan by the tool Loretta Lynch

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 04:48:12 pm »
Approved 3 Jan by the tool Loretta Lynch

That figures!   **nononono*

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 04:48:22 pm »
Nailed it!

@EC @don-o   

Obama did this a couple of days before the inauguration. But I think Trump put a hold on it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 04:49:33 pm »

Obama did this a couple of days before the inauguration. But I think Trump put a hold on it.

I hope to hell he did!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 04:55:33 pm »

Cyber security executive order signing canceled

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-cybersecurity-executive-order/

Last Updated Jan 31, 2017 3:56 PM EST

The president was expected to sign an executive order on cyber security Tuesday, but the White House announced that the signing has been cancelled for Tuesday. The order was to advise agency and department heads that they will be held accountable for cyber security, CBS News’ Mark Knoller reported, citing a White House official.

Under the order, agency and department heads would be directed by the executive order to use the best practices from the private sector to enhance cyber security. They would also be required to prepare for the modernization of cyber security in their agencies. The Office of Management and Budget would oversee government-wide efforts to enhance cyber security.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 04:56:31 pm »
I hope to hell he did!

I am not finding he did.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:17:59 pm by don-o »

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 04:56:56 pm »
I hope to hell he did!

I thought Trump issued an EO that said all new rules and regs were frozen until he could review them. But I don't know the details. I don't know what 'new' means.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 05:28:45 pm »

I thought Trump issued an EO that said all new rules and regs were frozen until he could review them. But I don't know the details. I don't know what 'new' means.

I am looking through the eo's and proclamations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_executive_actions_by_Donald_Trump#cite_note-34

Rescinding this would require a reference to the existing EO, which is how this expansion was done. I don't think he has done anything of the sort.

EDIT: I think this is what you are referring to. It's for going forward, not retroactive

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2017-01-24/pdf/2017-01766.pdf

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:33:11 pm by don-o »

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 12:15:43 am »
I am looking through the eo's and proclamations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_executive_actions_by_Donald_Trump#cite_note-34

Rescinding this would require a reference to the existing EO, which is how this expansion was done. I don't think he has done anything of the sort.

EDIT: I think this is what you are referring to. It's for going forward, not retroactive

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2017-01-24/pdf/2017-01766.pdf

Yep. Thanks.
Trump is doing so much so fast, it is hard to keep up.

Wonder why he has not rescinded this? Probably on his ' to do' list. I guess?

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 01:32:13 am »

Yep. Thanks.
Trump is doing so much so fast, it is hard to keep up.

Wonder why he has not rescinded this? Probably on his ' to do' list. I guess?

I wonder about the cybersecurity EO that he had planned, but did not release. Sure seems to have worked for his inside enemies.

@LonestarDream

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 01:52:46 am »
I wonder about the cybersecurity EO that he had planned, but did not release. Sure seems to have worked for his inside enemies.

@LonestarDream

Well of course. That is exactly why Obama did this at the last minute. Obama knows that the more people who have access to sensitive information, especially at the lower levels,the easier it will be for him to stay in the loop. Obama knows that someone will channel information to him. He was setting himself up for continued access on his way out the door.

Why Trump allows this to continue I do not understand?

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 01:59:59 am »

@LonestarDream

I can tell you this NSA stuff is SUPER dangerous.   Many folks in the community would have resigned over this in the past.  And should be now.

NSA collections are for NATIONAL security only, not domestic crimes.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 02:00:44 am »
Spot on

Well of course. That is exactly why Obama did this at the last minute. Obama knows that the more people who have access to sensitive information, especially at the lower levels,the easier it will be for him to stay in the loop. Obama knows that someone will channel information to him. He was setting himself up for continued access on his way out the door.

Why Trump allows this to continue I do not understand?
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 02:09:26 am »
I can tell you this NSA stuff is SUPER dangerous.   Many folks in the community would have resigned over this in the past.  And should be now.

NSA collections are for NATIONAL security only, not domestic crimes.

Trump damned well better get a handle on this.