Author Topic: Publishers now hiring 'sensitivity readers' to ensure political correctness  (Read 884 times)

rangerrebew

February 18, 2017
Publishers now hiring 'sensitivity readers' to ensure political correctness
By Rick Moran

If you ever worried about what the student snowflakes at American universities would be qualified to do after graduation, this is the perfect job for them.

Publishers are hiring "sensitivity readers" to check book manuscripts to make sure they adhere to politically correct standards.

From the Washington Post:

These days, though, a book may get an additional check from an unusual source: a sensitivity reader, a person who, for a nominal fee, will scan the book for racist, sexist or otherwise offensive content. These readers give feedback based on self-ascribed areas of expertise such as "dealing with terminal illness," "racial dynamics in Muslim communities within families" or "transgender issues."

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/02/publishers_now_hiring_sensitivity_readers_to_ensure_political_correctness.html#ixzz4Z2tNQy76
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
This is just another reason that traditional publishing is dying.  Indy publishing is going great guns; many of the author friends I know either started in indy publishing and later got picked up by dead-tree publishers after they'd become successful, or turned to indy publishing after the DT publishers screwed them over too many times.  And authors get a much larger share of the cost of their books through indy publishing (and the cost of the books is almost always much lower) than through DT publishing.  Take a look here for more authorial musings on all this:

https://madgeniusclub.com/
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

geronl

It's completely voluntary.... for now...

thank goodness for self-publishing

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I don't write for snowflakes.

If there's a rape in the book, its in there for a good reason. Ditto ultraviolence. Don't write sex scenes anyway (I keep laughing too hard at them to ever keep them in).
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

Don't write sex scenes anyway (I keep laughing too hard at them to ever keep them in).

lol, just brush through it, basically "they did it, and then..."

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I've done that and it usually can be made to work.

Foreplay scenes, on the other hand - I'm brilliant at. My characters must hate me, the number of times things have been steaming up nicely and there is an interruption so I don't have to write the sex scene.  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

I've done that and it usually can be made to work.

Foreplay scenes, on the other hand - I'm brilliant at. My characters must hate me, the number of times things have been steaming up nicely and there is an interruption so I don't have to write the sex scene.  :tongue2:

:silly:

The old fade out routine...