Author Topic: The Marine Corps Wants To Buy 11,000 M27 Infantry Automatic Rifles  (Read 679 times)

rangerrebew

The Marine Corps Wants To Buy 11,000 M27 Infantry Automatic Rifles
By Matthew Moss
on February 16, 2017
T&P on Facebook
shares

Last week, the U.S. Marine Corps released a Request for Information to manufacturers enquiring about their capacity to produce 11,000 more M27 Infantry Automatic Rifles. This stoked rumors that the Marine Corps is looking to replace its M4s with the M27, which were first sparked last November when 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines was equipped with the M27 instead of the M4 during pre-deployment exercises as an experiment.

The RFI for 11,000 M27s could indicate a possible push to replace the M249, which continues to be used by weapons platoons. However, I believe it is more likely that the Corps is simply looking to add more Infantry Automatic Rifles to its inventory. Currently, Marine infantry battalions typically have over 80 Infantry Automatic Rifles distributed at the fireteam level. Just 11,000 new rifles will not re-equip the riflemen of the Corps’ 32 infantry battalions, but it will enhance their firepower and perhaps pave the way for future orders.

http://taskandpurpose.com/marine-corps-wants-buy-11000-m27-infantry-automatic-rifles/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:20:52 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

Re: The Marine Corps Wants To Buy 11,000 M27 Infantry Automatic Rifles
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:12:22 am »
M249 is bely-fed; M27 is not.  The idea is that the increased accuracy of the M27 will allow it to still be used for suppressive fire.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn