Author Topic: Donald Trump wasting his time complaining about media coverage, Malcolm Turnbull says  (Read 1159 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has suggested US President Donald Trump is wasting his time by complaining about media coverage, citing the example of British wartime leader Winston Churchill.

Mr Trump has repeatedly described media criticism of him as "fake news" since taking office last month, labelling the media as the "opposition party".

On Thursday, the US President dismissed a growing controversy about ties between his aides and Russia as a "ruse" and a "scam" perpetrated by a hostile news media.

Mr Turnbull, whose relationship with Mr Trump got off to a rocky start earlier this month, said the 45th American President should stop focusing on the media.

"A very great politician, Winston Churchill, once said that politicians complaining about the newspapers is like a sailor complaining about the sea," he told reporters in New Zealand.

"There is not much point. That is the media we live with and we have to get our message across and we thank you all in the media for your kind attention."

Relations between the United States and Australia were strained earlier this month when Mr Trump said a planned refugee swap between the two nations was a "dumb deal".

That followed a Washington Post report about an acrimonious telephone call between the two leaders that attracted headlines worldwide.

Mr Turnbull, who was in New Zealand for official talks with his counterpart Bill English, said he would carefully assess any requests from the US for more troops to fight the Islamic State group.

"As I just said earlier we will assess any and every request from the United States on its merits and make a decision," he said.

More: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-17/donald-trump-malcolm-turnbull-media-criticism-wasting-his-time/8281696
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Some people here really like it.  I don't.  If you like reality television it might be good for rating but it does nothing for the country. Just gives media fire.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It's one of the few times I disagree with Churchill. To a sailor, complaining about the sea is the whole point. Sure, the sea ignores him, but he feels better by it.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Malcolm Turnbull, the leader of Austrialia's Liberal Party and PM---the one who hopes standing up to the POTUS will improve his dismal and falling approval numbers  --- THAT Malcolm Turnbull?

Or is it the Malcolm Turnbull who was embarrassed by President Trump's refusal to take Australia's unvetted "refugees"?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:15:48 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It's the Malcolm Turnbull who supplies about 20% of the troops and material support to the coalition against ISIS.

Smartmouthing on subjects you know nothing about will bite you on the ass.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
It's the Malcolm Turnbull who supplies about 20% of the troops and material support to the coalition against ISIS.

Smartmouthing on subjects you know nothing about will bite you on the ass.

:thumbsup:

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
Some people here really like it.  I don't.  If you like reality television it might be good for rating but it does nothing for the country. Just gives media fire.