Author Topic: McDonald's restaurants across the US are shutting down for a 'Day Without Immigrants' protest  (Read 6778 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
McDonald's restaurants across the US are shutting down for a 'Day Without Immigrants' protest

(Petar Kujundzic/Reuters)
McDonald's locations across the United States are shutting down on a "Day Without Immigrants."

On Thursday, organizers in cities across the country encouraged immigrants not to show up for work or patronize businesses, to show how crucial they are to the American economy.

According to reports on social media, some McDonald's locations are feeling the impact and have been forced to close for the day.

"I was going to stop at McDonald's for breakfast, but it's closed," one Facebook user from New Jersey wrote. "I hear it's closed because this is the day immigrants are taking off as protest to Trump's immigration law. I was annoyed at first until I realized why it was closed. Now I'm in full support of anything that goes against Trump and his ilk."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdonalds-restaurants-across-country-shutting-153507709.html

And I have a message for McDonalds.  Your food is gross.  Its unhealthy and overpriced.   It is so rare that I ever go there because I can get healthier fast food  for much less.  Really very expensive for cold slop.

I don’t like it that you hire all those  immigrants.  Those used to be great jobs for American youth still going to school.   I started my work career making burgers.  America’s youth  need jobs to get experience.   It is just another  portion of the job market taken over by immigrants. 

This article is so clear as to the thinking of these immigrants.  They can’t do without us.  We’ll teach them by taking a day off to protest and  never mind that the business is going to loose money.  Well I guess it is what they get.

Here in Seattle immigrants pushed a 15.00 hour law for food workers.  So now McDonalds is  considering replacing workers with kiosks.  Oh yeah sounds good huh?  A burger from the machine.  Might as well head to the vending machine for lunch.

To sum it up who cares?  Don't need a Big Mac with dried up cold fries anyway.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online dfwgator

More Winning!

Offline Chosen Daughter

More Winning!

Winning or Whining?  Wasn't sure what you meant.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online dfwgator

Winning or Whining?  Wasn't sure what you meant.

Winning, in McDonalds' shutting down. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

Winning, in McDonalds' shutting down.

Oh, just what you wrote.  I agree!

Offline Chosen Daughter

Businesses across the country shut down for A Day Without Immigrants protests

ABC News VideosFebruary 16, 2017

Thousands of people did not attend work to demonstrate what life without immigrants might look like.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/businesses-across-country-shut-down-012720676.html

Oh, factories and  restaurants closed..  What an eye opener on how many of our jobs are gone to immigrants.  I don’t think all of those jobs are ones Americans don’t want to do.

I can see what life without them would look like.  It looks like millions of jobs for Americans.

30 million 12 million of that food workers.

Offline ConservativeGranny

Oh no!!!!!! How we will survive?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Businesses across the country shut down for A Day Without Immigrants protests

ABC News VideosFebruary 16, 2017

Thousands of people did not attend work to demonstrate what life without immigrants might look like.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/businesses-across-country-shut-down-012720676.html

Oh, factories and  restaurants closed..  What an eye opener on how many of our jobs are gone to immigrants.  I don’t think all of those jobs are ones Americans don’t want to do.

I can see what life without them would look like.  It looks like millions of jobs for Americans.

30 million 12 million of that food workers.
I will only speak to the fast food jobs, those that primarily were for teenagers to learn skills for future employment and make pocket money. You do understand that it was Americans that opened the door for those jobs to be taken over by immigrants don't you? It was the denigration of those jobs by teenagers parents, and other adults that drove the teens away and forced the employers to hire from the only available plentiful source. And then, this is the really hilarious part, those same adults then whined and moaned about the immigrants having stolen those jobs from Americans!

There are plenty of situations to bitch about jobs being taken from Americans and legal immigrants, but the food service is not one of them, Americans gave those jobs away as worthless and demeaning. As to your obvious disdain for Mickey D's? Why do even care if some of them shut down, and I'm sure the Operators will be getting an earful from Corp., since you make it clear you would never give them your trade any way.

Oh and the situation with fast food jobs, something I can speak with authority on having managed it for twenty three years and during the period when those jobs became anathema to Americans.
@Chosen Daughter

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
@GtHawk

Well said.  :beer:

Don't spend 20 years sneering at a job then expect your kids to want to do it.

Of course - the ones who sneer don't expect their kids to flip burgers. They expect other people's kids to flip burgers for them.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chosen Daughter

@GtHawk
@EC

Same old comments that we have been hearing from the pro illegal immigrants politicians for years.  Oh they do jobs Americans don't want to do.  Simply not true.  The memes are only for the purpose of employers who like cheap labor.  But watch out the immigrants are wanting more money now.  That was the thing in Seattle with the new law for 15.00 an hour.  They are actually driving wages up.

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/fast-food-workers-you-dont-deserve-15-an-hour-to-flip-burgers-and-thats-ok/

I don't know where you live but American teens here do work.

And that is one thing that I will support Trump for.  Deportations and the wall.  We'll see if he continues to fulfill that promise.  I am guessing you don't like that part of Trumps campaign to take control of immigration.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:55:18 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline andy58-in-nh

Soon, damned sooner than you think, there will be a protest entitled "A Day without Robots".
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Once again.

This is how much it matters to my little town.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Imagine this:

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Oceander

@GtHawk
@EC

Same old comments that we have been hearing from the pro illegal immigrants politicians for years.  Oh they do jobs Americans don't want to do.  Simply not true.  The memes are only for the purpose of employers who like cheap labor.  But watch out the immigrants are wanting more money now.  That was the thing in Seattle with the new law for 15.00 an hour.  They are actually driving wages up.

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/fast-food-workers-you-dont-deserve-15-an-hour-to-flip-burgers-and-thats-ok/

And that is one thing that I will support Trump for.  Deportations and the wall.  We'll see if he continues to fulfill that promise.  I am guessing you don't like that part of Trumps campaign to take control of immigration.

Where you live is not always the best guide for what happens in the rest of the country.  Visit most metropolitan areas of any size and you'll see plenty of illegals doing jobs Americans don't want to do.  High school kids mowing lawns, working fast food, and delivering newspapers is mostly a thing of the past.  And getting rid of immigrants won't bring that nostalgic time back. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:28:31 pm by Oceander »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
We saw very little impact here. One guy on facebook who is a local contractor said he has three people who won't have jobs today and another four who will be getting a big bonus for making up the slack yesterday.

Some others are joking that yesterday was a day without (illegal) immigrants. Starting today is some businesses seeing a day without customers.

Oceander

Imagine this:

I bloody well can't wait.  I have to check my order every time now to make sure the person behind the counter entered it correctly. 

I pump my own gas and I scan my own groceries (and bag em, too).  I have no need for some slob who's going to put the wrong blend in my tank and spill gas on the paint, and I don't need some sloth at the register scanning my groceries at a snails pace and then putting heavy stuff on top of fragile stuff. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:32:01 pm by Oceander »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
We saw very little impact here. One guy on facebook who is a local contractor said he has three people who won't have jobs today and another four who will be getting a big bonus for making up the slack yesterday.

Some others are joking that yesterday was a day without (illegal) immigrants. Starting today is some businesses seeing a day without customers.

I saw no impact whatsoever. The local paper tried to say it was having a big impact. I wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for social media.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I will only speak to the fast food jobs, those that primarily were for teenagers to learn skills for future employment and make pocket money. You do understand that it was Americans that opened the door for those jobs to be taken over by immigrants don't you? It was the denigration of those jobs by teenagers parents, and other adults that drove the teens away and forced the employers to hire from the only available plentiful source. And then, this is the really hilarious part, those same adults then whined and moaned about the immigrants having stolen those jobs from Americans!

There are plenty of situations to bitch about jobs being taken from Americans and legal immigrants, but the food service is not one of them, Americans gave those jobs away as worthless and demeaning. As to your obvious disdain for Mickey D's? Why do even care if some of them shut down, and I'm sure the Operators will be getting an earful from Corp., since you make it clear you would never give them your trade any way.

Oh and the situation with fast food jobs, something I can speak with authority on having managed it for twenty three years and during the period when those jobs became anathema to Americans.

Quoted for truth.   I have no problem admitting I eat at McDonalds, and enjoy the food.   My local Mickey D's is owned by a black couple (they have three franchises in total), and appear to mostly hire kids from the local community. 

Many McDonalds are havens for retired folks, who enjoy that they can come and read the paper,  eat an inexpensive meal, and kibitz with friends.   We're ROMEOs - retired old men eating out. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:38:26 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Silver Pines

I rarely eat fast food, but when I do, it's never McDonald's.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

It's a free country.  But for folks on fixed incomes, it's an inexpensive, tasty meal in a safe and welcoming atmosphere.  Free refills, too. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Oceander

When I eat fast food, McDonalds is my preference.  To each their own.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

The breakfast sandwiches are good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@GtHawk

Well said.  :beer:

Don't spend 20 years sneering at a job then expect your kids to want to do it.

Of course - the ones who sneer don't expect their kids to flip burgers. They expect other people's kids to flip burgers for them.

Oh, heck no!  I wanted my kids to do low-paying menial jobs when they were youngsters.  Taught them a lot, one of the main things being that this was not the sort of job they wanted to do for the rest of their lives.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
When I eat fast food, McDonalds is my preference.  To each their own.

McDonald's has great coffee.  I would much rather drink a cup of McD's than Starbucks overpriced, bitter coffee.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
@GtHawk
@EC

I live in SoCal, and the period that all this really started with fast food and restaurants was in the mid eighties, and I was on the front line managing multiple Mickey D's so I know exactly when and how it happened here and had to listen to the harping about no White English speaking kids until finally I would ask the people to send their teens to work for me, funny how they stopped talking.

When I started at McD's in 76' I had mothers working the morning day shifts and school kids working all the rest, the only Hispanics I had out of 130+ employees at that time were the overnight maintenance crew, twenty two years later in that store i had 35 or so hourly employees and other than a couple of managers, four White kids. So I don't care what you believe happened in fast food or that you dismiss me as parroting the pro illegals.........I am far from it, first generation whose parents had to wait years in a country with nothing to do it right and never accepted anything from the government they didn't earn. So don't blow me off as BS, I am telling you reality I lived through.