Author Topic: Taxpayer-funded study asked if people could smell 'asparagus pee'  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

By Elizabeth Harrington Published February 14, 2017 Washington Free Beacon
Facebook Twitter   livefyre Email Print

A taxpayer-funded study set to find out if people can smell their own "asparagus pee."

Researchers at Harvard on two active studies that received over $3 million last year surveyed nearly 7,000 people to determine if their urine smelled funny after eating the vegetable. The results were published in the BMJ scientific journal, which uses its final edition each year to publish articles that are "quirky, amusing, and creative—but all scientifically sound."

The results concluded a "large proportion of individuals of European-American descent cannot smell ‘asparagus pee'—the unpleasant odor present in urine after people eat asparagus," according to the T.H. Chan School of Public Health....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/14/taxpayer-funded-study-asked-if-people-could-smell-asparagus-pee.html

Sheesh.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Taxpayer-funded study asked if people could smell 'asparagus pee'
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 04:03:29 am »
I can always smell it. One reason I rarely eat asparagus.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:16:00 am »
It's genetics.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 07:23:27 am »
A taxpayer-funded study set to find out if people can smell their own "asparagus pee."

Damn Golden Shower lobby on K Street always have their snout in the trough.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 01:41:30 pm »
They worded this so it sounds like the $3 million was for this study. Actually, buried in the source's source:
The school listed several grants from the National Institutes of Health that provided funding for the study.

Two active projects include a study using biological samples of men to examine diet and physical activity variables related to cancer that received $2,313,689 last year.

Another study is looking at the benefits of eating "plant-based" foods to battle coronary heart disease. This project received $735,491 last year.

Requests for comment on how much funding specifically went to the asparagus-pee findings were not returned.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:49:00 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 03:16:47 pm »
Asparagus pee?   What I want to know is, Why does it hurt when I pee?
I don't want no doctor, to stick no needle in me.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:17:12 pm by Wingnut »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 03:30:46 pm »
Asparagus pee?   What I want to know is, Why does it hurt when I pee?
I don't want no doctor, to stick no needle in me.
Shortly after his liaison with the taco stand lady, Joe makes a horrible discovery. :smokin:

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 08:10:26 pm »

Damn Golden Shower lobby on K Street always have their snout in the trough.

:bigsilly:

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 08:23:59 pm »
Shortly after his liaison with the taco stand lady, Joe makes a horrible discovery. :smokin:

This is the central scrutinizer... It is my responsibility to enforce all the laws
That haven't been passed yet. It is also my responsibility to alert each and every one of
You to the potential consequences of various ordinary everyday activities you might be
Performing which could eventually lead to The Death Penalty (or affect your parents'
Credit rating).

Our criminal institutions are full of little creeps like you who do wrong things...
And many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force called music! Our studies
Have shown that this horrible force is so dangerous to society at large that laws are being
Drawn up at this very moment to stop it forever! Cruel and inhuman punishments are
Being carefully described in tiny paragraphs so they won't conflict with the Constitution
(which, itself, is being modified in order to accommodate the future).

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 02:16:35 am »
This is the central scrutinizer... It is my responsibility to enforce all the laws
That haven't been passed yet. It is also my responsibility to alert each and every one of
You to the potential consequences of various ordinary everyday activities you might be
Performing which could eventually lead to The Death Penalty (or affect your parents'
Credit rating).

Our criminal institutions are full of little creeps like you who do wrong things...
And many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force called music! Our studies
Have shown that this horrible force is so dangerous to society at large that laws are being
Drawn up at this very moment to stop it forever! Cruel and inhuman punishments are
Being carefully described in tiny paragraphs so they won't conflict with the Constitution
(which, itself, is being modified in order to accommodate the future).

Channeling Zappa?

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 02:20:46 am »
Channeling Zappa?

Desperate nerds in high offices all over the world have been known to
enact the most disgusting pieces of legislation in order to win votes
(or, in places where they don't get to vote, to control unwanted forms of
mass behavior).
Environmental laws were not passed to protect our air and water...
they were passed to get votes. Seasonal anti-smut campaigns are not
conducted to rid our communities of moral rot...they are conducted to give
an aura of saintliness to the office-seekers who demand them. If a few
key phrases are thrown into any speech (as the expert advisors explain to
these various heads of state) votes will roll in, bucks will roll in, and, most
importantly, power will be maintained by the groovy guy (or gal) who gets
the most media coverage for his sleaze. Naturally, his friends in various
businesses will do okay too.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 02:23:56 am »
@Sanguine
@Quix

Great article, Sanguine!  (I was actually getting bored scrolling through everything else on TBR.  This one was actually weirdly interesting!)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 03:30:30 am »
@Sanguine
@Quix

Great article, Sanguine!  (I was actually getting bored scrolling through everything else on TBR.  This one was actually weirdly interesting!)

Or, those of us who find it interesting are weird?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 04:59:11 am »
I can always smell it. One reason I rarely eat asparagus.
I like asparagus, but I only eat it when I have a hankering to be obnoxious, or I am not around other folks...it's that strong.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline the_doc

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 04:23:14 pm »
Or, those of us who find it interesting are weird?

Well, that too.  At least I know I'm weird.