Author Topic: Intelligence Official: Transcripts Of Flynn's Calls Don't Show Criminal Wrongdoing  (Read 1935 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Intelligence Official: Transcripts Of Flynn's Calls Don't Show Criminal Wrongdoing

February 15, 20174:01 PM ET

Camila Domonoske
Twitter

A current U.S. intelligence official tells NPR's Mary Louise Kelly that there is no evidence of criminal wrongdoing in the transcripts of former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn's conversations with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, although the official noted that doesn't rule out the possibility of illegal actions.

The official also says that there are recordings as well as transcripts of the calls, and that the transcripts don't suggest Flynn was acting under orders in his conversations.

more
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/15/515437291/intelligence-official-transcripts-of-flynns-calls-dont-show-criminal-wrongdoing
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jpsb

A current U.S. intelligence official tells NPR's Mary Louise Kelly that there is no evidence of criminal wrongdoing in the transcripts of former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn's conversations with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, although the official noted that doesn't rule out the possibility of illegal actions.

The official also says that there are recordings as well as transcripts of the calls, and that the transcripts don't suggest Flynn was acting under orders in his conversations.

Flynn resigned late Monday, after allegations that he discussed U.S. sanctions on Russia with Kislyak and then misled Vice President Pence about the nature of those conversations. Flynn initially denied discussing sanctions at all, but in his resignation Flynn said he "inadvertently" gave Pence "incomplete information" about the conversations.

NPR's Phil Ewing previously reported that it is not in dispute that Flynn spoke with Kislyak in late December. "The issue is what he said," Phil wrote.

Depending on the content of the conversations, Flynn could have violated a law called the Logan Act, which bars a private individual from conducting foreign policy without the permission of the U.S. government. For instance, if Flynn told the ambassador the Trump administration would drop the sanctions, that would have been illegal.

The intelligence official who has personally seen the transcripts told Mary Louise they contained "no evidence" of criminal wrongdoing, although the official said it can't be definitively ruled out.

The official also said there was "absolutely nothing" in the transcripts that suggests Flynn was acting under instructions "or that the trail leads higher."

"I don't think [Flynn] knew he was doing anything wrong," the official said. "Flynn talked about sanctions, but no specific promises were made. Flynn was speaking more in general 'maybe we'll take a look at this going forward' terms."

As NPR's Domenico Montanaro has reported, Flynn could face consequences even if there isn't evidence he violated the Logan Act:

"The White House is confident Flynn didn't say anything that could have violated the law. Of course, that could be open to interpretation. It would be up to the Jeff Sessions Justice Department to review the transcript and bring a case, if it saw fit. That is seen as unlikely.

"But there are other ways in which Flynn could be at risk.

"Republicans on the Senate Intelligence Committee said Tuesday it's possible that Flynn will be called to testify under oath. More could become known about the specifics of the call before then. The New York Times reports Tuesday evening that the FBI questioned Flynn in the early days of the Trump presidency about his conversations. And investigators believe Flynn "was not entirely forthcoming":

" 'That raises the stakes of what so far has been a political scandal that cost Mr. Flynn his job. If the authorities conclude that Mr. Flynn knowingly lied to the F.B.I., it could expose him to a felony charge.' "

Offline jpsb

Just as I have been saying all along Flynn did nothing wrong, and he did not lie to the VP. He did not discuss sanctions. Flynn was the victim of a political hit job.

I am very disappointed Trump threw him under the bus. Loyalty is a two way street.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
So why did he lie about it?

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
From article:

The New York Times reports Tuesday evening that the FBI questioned Flynn in the early days of the Trump presidency about his conversations. And investigators believe Flynn "was not entirely forthcoming":

So the "negotiating with the Russians" loses its legs.But wait! There's more!

First leak ended up a dud. Just do another one.

Offline LonestarDream

From article:

So the "negotiating with the Russians" loses its legs.But wait! There's more!

First leak ended up a dud. Just do another one.

It was a big mistake to fire Flynn.  @don-o , the deep state is going after Trump now.

Apparently, the washington post is getting leaks from six senior intelligence officers.

Instead of spying on POTUS and his cabinet, Everyone Amazon employee From Jeff Bezos on down should be spied on-- to include the Washington Post employees.

It takes two to do a leak.  The leaker and the leakee. 
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline Suppressed

Instead of spying on POTUS and his cabinet, Everyone Amazon employee From Jeff Bezos on down should be spied on-- to include the Washington Post employees.

Wow, Komrade.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jpsb

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I've heard he did no wrong but then, that leads one to ask, why resign?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Because the libs had their meme, and would have kept repeating and escalating, making it a distraction and a blunt instrument. It's what they do.

Maybe Trump should have went ahead with him, and maybe he shouldn't. It was a coin toss.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

He didn't tell his bosses the whole truth about what happened. Can't do that.

Offline Rivergirl

Compliments of Director Comey?

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
Trump just said he fired Flynn because he misrepresented what he said to the VP and then claimed he didn't remember and that wasn't acceptable.

Online corbe

We saw as Trump campaigned across this great Nation, he has no qualms about Firing people 'he' feels are incompetent or expendable after a media flub.  Bannon rightly advised him the political capital that would be expended to keep him (Flynn) was not worth it, this early in his Administration. Though this did open a chasm wide enough to give encouragement to Dems that they could indeed make a difference, it is false hope. 
   If past history is any indication, Pres. Trump will recover from this, he always has.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Because he wasn't getting any backup and could see the writing on the wall? 

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
Trump said he asked him to resign.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
   We saw as Trump campaigned across this great Nation, he has no qualms about Firing people 'he' feels are incompetent or expendable after a media flub.  Bannon rightly advised him the political capital that would be expended to keep him (Flynn) was not worth it, this early in his Administration. Though this did open a chasm wide enough to give encouragement to Dems that they could indeed make a difference, it is false hope. 
   If past history is any indication, Pres. Trump will recover from this, he always has.

Did not know of Bannon's call on this. I still feel it was wrong. As far as political capital, I am not sure how that concept even works any more.

Online corbe

Did not know of Bannon's call on this. I still feel it was wrong. As far as political capital, I am not sure how that concept even works any more.

@don-o I am assuming Bannon is top dog in the role as political advisor to the President, this is based on many articles I've read, I could be wrong, with the proliferation of fake news these days.   
   Trump is already taking allot of flak about his Russian connections and has been for over a year, this Flynn debacle cuts very deep and needed to be stopped pronto.  I think he did the right thing, politically speaking, regardless of whether Flynn is guilty or not, some of us are more equal than others, per say.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I think he thought resigning would take the heat off of Trump.  He wasn't aware of the total viciousness of the Obama coalition.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.