Author Topic: Trump offers national security adviser post to Vice Admiral Robert Harward: Reuter sources  (Read 727 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: REUTERS

URL: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-harward-idUSKBN15U29C

by Mark Hosenball and John Walcott

The Trump administration has offered the job of White House national security adviser, vacated by former U.S. intelligence official Michael Flynn, to Vice Admiral Robert Harward, said two U.S. officials familiar with the matter on Wednesday.

It was not immediately clear if Harward, a former deputy commander of U.S. Central Command who has Navy SEAL combat experience, had accepted the offer, according to sources.

A White House spokesperson had no immediate comment.

Flynn resigned on Monday after revelations that he had discussed U.S. sanctions on Russia with the Russian ambassador to the United States before President Donald Trump took office.

Losing his national security adviser so soon after taking office is an embarrassment for the new Republican president, who has made national security a top priority.

Harward, a Rhode Island native who went to school in Tehran before the Shah was toppled in 1979, did a tour on the National Security Council under former Republican President George W. Bush, working on counterterrorism. He also has combat experience on SEAL teams and served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Harward now works as an executive for defense contractor Lockheed Martin (LMT.N), with responsibility for its business in the United Arab Emirates in the Middle East.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline SirLinksALot

Do you know something about Harward? What makes him a good choice?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Hell of a fine officer. SEAL, and a model one. Worked with Mattis before on very amicable terms. Not many ribbons - he's no glory hound.

Most importantly from a national security point of view - he was on the Joint interagency task force - that's not just the branches of the service, but the spooks as well. He speaks all the languages needed, if you'll pardon the euphemism.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Home run if true!

:martini:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.