Author Topic: Senate GOP leaders urge White House to withdraw Andrew Puzder nomination for Labor Secretary  (Read 701 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: THE HILL

URL: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/319701-top-senate-republicans-urging-wh-to-withdraw-puzder-nomination-report

by REBECCA SAVRANSKY

Top Senate Republicans are calling for President Trump to withdraw Andrew Puzder's nomination for Labor secretary, CNN reported Wednesday.

There are four Republican senators planning to vote against Puzder, and could be as many as 12, the report said, citing a GOP source. The GOP has a 52-seat majority in the Senate, so Puzder's nomination would fail if three or more Republicans joined all Democrats in opposing him.

EXCLUSIVE: Top Senate Rs have urged the WH to withdraw Puzder nomination. There are 4 firm no votes and up to 12, source says. Next on CNN

— Manu Raju (@mkraju) February 15, 2017

The Senate is scheduled to hold a hearing this week for Puzder, a top target of opposition for Democrats.

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) urged the president to withdraw the nomination amid a growing controversy about Puzder hiring a housekeeper who was an undocumented immigrant.
Puzder also faces other vulnerabilities. His wife once accused him of domestic violence — an accusation she has since retracted — and groups have attacked Puzder for the way workers are treated at fast food restaurants owned by him.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) earlier Wednesday remained confident about Puzder's nomination, telling reporters "he'll be confirmed."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:45:34 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Night Hides Not

For me, having an "undocumented immigrant" working for you for three years is a definite "no go."
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline SirLinksALot

For me, having an "undocumented immigrant" working for you for three years is a definite "no go."

What about hiring Eastern Europeans to work at Mar-a-Lago while there were unemployed people in Florida applying for those jobs?

Offline Night Hides Not

What about hiring Eastern Europeans to work at Mar-a-Lago while there were unemployed people in Florida applying for those jobs?

You're asking the wrong guy...I'm a Never Trumper.

BTW, I've also been fired from a job, but was kept on to train my replacement. It made for some interesting repartee with the Texas Employment Commission, when the employer protested my filing for unemployment compensation. Needless to say, I won my case.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:09:21 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline SirLinksALot

Well, you cannot win if your party is not behind you.

Puzder withdraws from consideration.

See this thread:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,249372.0.html