Author Topic: Clowns to the Left of Me, Jokers to the Right… Is Anyone Trustworthy Anymore?  (Read 1283 times)

Offline corbe

Clowns to the Left of Me, Jokers to the Right… Is Anyone Trustworthy Anymore?

Posted at 3:34 pm on February 14, 2017 by Jim Jamitis

The GOP holds the reins to both houses of Congress and the Presidency, so why do I feel less hopeful about conservatism than I did even when Barack Obama was in the White House? I think largely it is because the number of people I trust to tell me the truth has dwindled to a precious few.

The media has always been biased but at one time you could at least tease out the facts from the spin. Lately you can’t even do that. In the wake of Trump’s election the facts have become irrelevant. The mainstream media simply cannot be trusted to get anything right anymore. That in itself is bad enough but you can’t trust the White House to give you the truth either.

On one side you have a left wing activist media pursuing an agenda to take down the Trump presidency. On the other you have right wing media that is almost entirely sold out to Trump, and salivating over the chance to land some body blows on the left wing media. Both sides are entrenched and are colluding with their elected counterparts. The left versus right debate is like two competing late night infomercials selling similarly crappy products.

Part of it, I think, is that people are playing by old rules in an entirely different game. Rush Limbaugh and other talk radio hosts still view the political world as crazy liberals trying to take down sensible liberty loving conservatism. The Trump administration is shoehorned into the role of sensible conservatism because something has to. That’s the narrative that sells iced tea and “buy gold” advertisements.

It doesn’t matter whether Trump is actually doing anything to advance conservatism as long as he’s the target of the far left. Anything the far left attacks is assumed to be good. Acknowledging that both sides may be equally incompetent or out of control is not part of the proven business model so they take what’s out there and force it to fit what’s proven to be profitable.

Erick Erickson writes today at The Resurgent about how the lunatic fringe on the media right has been granted legitimacy by this White House.

I try to ignore this, but I think people on the right need to stand up for integrity on our own side. Whether there’s a traffic obsession and that site is willing to publish nonsense knowingly or a mental issue and that site is publishing nonsense they really believe or something else, it is still a problem.

There has been a lot of reporting out there in the past few months about websites knowing they can throw out the most absurd stories and generate loads of cash for themselves off the suckers who believe because they want to. It has, unfortunately, become a profitable business.

<..snip..>

http://www.redstate.com/jimjamitis/2017/02/14/clowns-left-jokers-right...-anyone-trustworthy-anymore/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I agree wholeheartedly with the author.

Which now means I mistrust him.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Wingnut

This Admin doesn't hide it's crazy.  The gives it a cocktail and put's in a rocking chair on the White House Lawn!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
There has been a lot of reporting out there in the past few months about websites knowing they can throw out the most absurd stories and generate loads of cash for themselves off the suckers who believe because they want to. It has, unfortunately, become a profitable business.

I can really understand this and it is getting insane. Even authors I used to trust have gone off the deep end with clickbait bogus headlines and misleading spins on a story.  Just this morning, I came across one by an author I had trusted, Kevin Jackson (most of us should remember him as one of the few rational Freepers.). His big bold headline this morning:

BOOM: 9th Circuit Court Asks Trump for FORGIVENESS Over Travel Order

Wow, that's sounds interesting. Let's check the facts.

No, they did not ask for forgiveness over the travel order. They are simply voting for reconsideration in the case and asking the administration to file a defense brief, which is business as usual for circuit courts.

In other words, routine filing after a judgment like this (part of the appeals process required by law).

http://theblacksphere.net/2017/02/9th-circuit-court-ask-trump-forgiveness-travel-order/

On Kevin's Facebook page, over 3,500 people shared this story and only 2 of the hundreds of comments I saw, actually called him out on the fake headline. That is 3,500 Conservatives, who should be smarter than the average bear, jumping on a bogus headline without a drop of interest in what the actual truth is. They just jump on a headline that feeds what they want to believe.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Trump will be taken down by something any democrat would survive.

It means there is still some integrity on the right.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
This Admin doesn't hide it's crazy.  The gives it a cocktail and put's in a rocking chair on the White House Lawn!

goopo

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Trump Invites a Cesspool of Fake News to Cover the White House. And I’m Not Talking About MSNBC.

Erick Erickson
The Resurgent
February 14, 2017

To be fair, the press has largely brought this on themselves. I’ve already lost count of the stories reported by the media and retracted or modified substantially in the same day. Even today, the New York Times is running a correction on a story about Mike Flynn that notes the original story quoted from tweets that might not have come from Flynn.

But, I think the White House does the American people a great disservice by inviting Gateway Pundit in to the press briefings. I’m not sure there is a greater purveyor of fake news on the left or right than that site. Inviting in a known purveyor of fake news gives that purveyor a credibility that is not deserved. It gives a credibility that will most assuredly be abused to spread even more fake news.

From malarkey about terrorism to showing NBA fans as Trump supporters to you name it, Gateway Pundit runs nonsense and I still have not determined if it is intentional or just because of some level of insanity.
More

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Trump Invites a Cesspool of Fake News to Cover the White House. And I’m Not Talking About MSNBC.

Erick Erickson
The Resurgent
February 14, 2017
More

I fell out of my chair laughing when I saw Gateway Pundit was given press credentials.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I fell out of my chair laughing when I saw Gateway Pundit was given press credentials.

True.  But then the rest of the Alphabet MSM is just as vomitous and 'fake' as they are.

We now exist in the era that the Apostle Paul warned Timothy would exist at the End of the Age.

"For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear". II Timothy 4:3
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
We now exist in the era that the Apostle Paul warned Timothy would exist at the End of the Age.

"For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear". II Timothy 4:3

If people listened to sound and wholesome teaching last year, we couldn't have ended up with a presidential race
between Robespierre and Queen Athaliah.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.