Author Topic: MICHAEL FLYNN RESIGNS  (Read 19529 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: MICHAEL FLYNN RESIGNS
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2017, 03:16:21 pm »
He is a warrior!  And we will get some REMF as a replacement.   If you don't know what an REMF is google it!

Geez....one would think there is more than one qualified individual out there that would make a terrific National Security Advisor.

What's the big deal here?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2017, 03:19:35 pm »
Can someone tell me just what exactly Flynn did wrong? It seems to me he his a victim of fake news. I am disappointed that Trump canned him over fake news. There must be something that I am missing.

If it is fake news, then he just lied in his resignation letter where he admits what was accused. You can't just throw the accusation of 'fake news' out there every time you don't like something. His own words should be the end of the guesses, speculation, and arm chair punditry.
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2017/02/13/text-of-national-security-advisor-mike-flynns-resignation-letter/

February 13, 2017

In the course of my duties as the incoming National Security Advisor, I held numerous phone calls with foreign counterparts, ministers, and ambassadors. These calls were to facilitate a smooth transition and begin to build the necessary relationships between the President, his advisors and foreign leaders. Such calls are standard practice in any transition of this magnitude.

Unfortunately, because of the fast pace of events, I inadvertently briefed the Vice President Elect and others with incomplete information regarding my phone calls with the Russian Ambassador. I have sincerely apologized to the President and the Vice President, and they have accepted my apology

Throughout my over thirty three years of honorable military service, and my tenure as the National Security Advisor, I have always performed my duties with the utmost of integrity and honesty to those I have served, to include the President of the United States.
I am tendering my resignation, honored to have served our nation and the American people in such a distinguished way.
I am also extremely honored to have served President Trump, who in just three weeks, has reoriented American foreign policy in fundamental ways to restore America's leadership position in the world.

As I step away once again from serving my nation in this current capacity, I wish to thank President Trump for his personal loyalty, the friendship of those who I worked with throughout the hard fought campaign, the challenging period of transition, and during the early days of his presidency.
I know with the strong leadership of President Donald J. Trump and Vice President Mike Pence and the superb team they are assembling, this team will go down in history as one of the greatest presidencies in U.S. history, and I firmly believe the American people will be well served as they all work together to help Make America Great Again.

Michael T. Flynn, LTG (Ret)

Assistant to the President/National Security Advisor

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:21:09 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2017, 03:20:43 pm »
He is a warrior!  And we will get some REMF as a replacement.   If you don't know what an REMF is google it!

They better not!  I want to hear what Trump has to say about this - this is how they will destroy anyone in his adminstration that they really fear - how much you want to bet that Steve Bannon is next on their list?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2017, 03:21:56 pm »
Geez....one would think there is more than one qualified individual out there that would make a terrific National Security Advisor.

What's the big deal here?

I've spelled it out as plainly as I'm going to!  If you don't know what an REMF is try google!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2017, 03:22:31 pm »
They better not!  I want to hear what Trump has to say about this - this is how they will destroy anyone in his adminstration that they really fear - how much you want to bet that Steve Bannon is next on their list?

Flynn destroyed himself. Bannon is an incompetent boob and should go next, but Trump will probably keep him for a little longer.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2017, 03:23:25 pm »

Now that there is blood in the water the assault will be relentless 24/7/365.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2017, 03:24:24 pm »
I've spelled it out as plainly as I'm going to!  If you don't know what an REMF is try google!

My post wasn't to you....it was just an opinion.   :patriot:

And I'm aware of what an REMF is.

Flynn isn't the only saving Grace out there for this position.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2017, 03:24:53 pm »

Totally agree!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2017, 03:25:52 pm »

Okay, I looked it up @Bigun  Can't tell if this would be good or bad news   :laugh:

Offline jpsb

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2017, 03:27:00 pm »
I understand your feelings @beandog.  This "Trump Resistance" here is getting sickening - we have a President that is trying to fix the things we've been complaining about for years - and the NoFlakes here just can't let it go.  This site is polluted with them - and they serve no useful purpose, except to eventually run people off. 

Criticize the president when he does something wrong - but to use left-wing sources to fuel their hatred - to do nothing but slop the same old tiring, childish mantras - over and over and over and over.....

What admirer of Ronald Reagan wants to wade through that garbage every day and on almost every thread?

Bump! Bump! Bump! What she said!

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2017, 03:27:59 pm »

Like the assaults weren't already relentless 24/7/365? 

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2017, 03:28:32 pm »

Flynn destroyed himself.

Nothing more needs to be said.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2017, 03:28:53 pm »
Bump! Bump! Bump! What she said!

:beer:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2017, 03:31:07 pm »
Okay, I looked it up @Bigun  Can't tell if this would be good or bad news   :laugh:

It's not so much about Flynn as it is about how the media will see it. Farting too loud in Church will now be a firing offence and the assault will be never ending!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2017, 03:33:11 pm »
I understand your feelings @beandog.  This "Trump Resistance" here is getting sickening - we have a President that is trying to fix the things we've been complaining about for years - and the NoFlakes here just can't let it go.  This site is polluted with them - and they serve no useful purpose, except to eventually run people off. 

Criticize the president when he does something wrong - but to use left-wing sources to fuel their hatred - to do nothing but slop the same old tiring, childish mantras - over and over and over and over.....

What admirer of Ronald Reagan wants to wade through that garbage every day and on almost every thread?

:thumbsup3: @alicewonders

Please, @beandog stay.   Your voice is needed.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2017, 03:48:38 pm »

While I share your general amusement at mocking REMF's, the truth is that some REMF's are pretty sharp.  One of the pre-eminent military thinkers relied upon by the Marine Corps in revising (and manifestly improving) tactical/strategic doctrine in the late 80's - early 90's was Bill Lind, who was basically a squishy slob of a civilian.  But the dude knew his sh*t, as they say.  I was with a group of other tactics instructors (which I think may even have included the current Sec'y of Homeland Security) when we met with the guy.  We were skeptical of this civilian having anything of value to say, but...he did.  Quite an eye-opener, to say the least.

Anyway, my point is that in terms of the National Security Advisor, I don't care if they're a REMF, civilian, or the reincarnation of Chesty Puller himself.  The only thing that matters is if they're sharp, and know what they're talking about.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2017, 03:49:06 pm »

A bit O/T, but in my world, calling you an REMF is by far the worst pejorative I throw at anyone. I had the "pleasure" of serving with several REMFs during my time in the Army, officers who should never have been allowed near troops. Most were excellent staff officers, but disasters when put in a leadership position.

A (hopefully) brief example: My battery was a composite Chaparral/towed Vulcan platoon. Vulcans had a maximum effective range of 1000 meters. During an ARTEP, my battery commander improperly encoded coordinates for a mission, resulting in a 10KM long route defense for a Vulcan platoon (4 guns). The platoon leader, another REMF, did not question the mission, even though it violated every precept of air defense artillery tactics. That same platoon missed their morning mission by 30 minutes, thanks to the lack of leadership of that same lieutenant.

Had that been real world, people would have most assuredly died. As it was, it almost (could have/should have) flunked the entire battery. I was already irritable, not having slept for a few days leading up to that evaluation, and pressed in service as the XO in addition to my job as the Maintenance Officer. When I learned what had happened, I blew up...I had taken 3 of those 4 platoons successfully through evaluations during my first 18 months in the battery, and these yay-hoos were blowing it.

There's my example of an REMF (or two).  The BC came from battalion staff, where he was excellent. He was simply unable to translate those skills into commanding a battery. The Platoon Leader was simply lost, and didn't respond well to guidance from any of us...he knew it all, or so he thought.

Hope that helps.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2017, 03:50:14 pm »
Talked out of turn to some extent or other, then lied about it.

Pretty open and shut.

And please don't use the "Well, the Dems did it" excuse. We're not Dems.

@EC

I have not really dug into this story but my brief investigation leads me to believe that Flynn has a conservation about improving relations with the Russia ambassador. Sanctions came up in the conversation along with a lot of other stuff. Sanctions were not discussed in detail, the ambassador just said they were an obstacle to improving relations.

Next the Washington Post (I will never buy from Amazon again) runs a fake news story that Flynn violated a 1799 law that prohibits a private individual from conducting foreign policy. Totally fabricated story. No one has ever been prosecuted for this and Flynn was a high ranking member of the transition team hardly a private citizen. VP Pence asked Flynn about the bogus story and Flynn rightly answered no I did not discuss sanctions. Why did the VP stick his nose into this in this fake news story first place? Stupid move by the VP.  This administration better wise up, the entire media, the entire establishment along with all the NeverTrumpers are out to damage this admin at every and any turn.

So it turns out that sanctions did come up, but were not really discussed. One could say Flynn lied (he really didn't) so Flynn gets nailed for lying about a fake news story that the VP had no business sticking his nose into and gets the boot.

If my interpretation is correct. Then we can expect many more fake news stories and the admin better learn not to take the bait. And the VP needs to learn mind his own business. I blame Pence for this mess.

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2017, 03:51:55 pm »

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2017, 03:53:37 pm »
Talked out of turn to some extent or other, then lied about it.

Pretty open and shut.

And please don't use the "Well, the Dems did it" excuse. We're not Dems.

Peering down the rabbit hole, it seems a bit more to it than that. There is a strange obsession for this admin to shoot from the hip with any and everything that flashes anywhere. Take a breath once in a while.

The messaging shop makes the Keystone Kops and Three Stooges look like paragons of competence and efficiency. This thing originated with a leaked transcript of an alleged phone conversation.

The action plan should be that there is no comment on anonymous accusations for some period of time.  Take the time to try to ascertain the facts and to try to ID the leaker.

Most importantly, get 100% solid and consistent on message. Trump needs to settle on ONE person to vet all comm, including his own.

@EC
@LonestarDream

Offline Idiot

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2017, 03:54:10 pm »
Will the Moderator please reset the Trump impeachment clock from 2 years to ONE YEAR.  Thank you....

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2017, 03:57:39 pm »
While I share your general amusement at mocking REMF's, the truth is that some REMF's are pretty sharp.  One of the pre-eminent military thinkers relied upon by the Marine Corps in revising (and manifestly improving) tactical/strategic doctrine in the late 80's - early 90's was Bill Lind, who was basically a squishy slob of a civilian.  But the dude knew his sh*t, as they say.  I was with a group of other tactics instructors (which I think may even have included the current Sec'y of Homeland Security) when we met with the guy.  We were skeptical of this civilian having anything of value to say, but...he did.  Quite an eye-opener, to say the least.

Anyway, my point is that in terms of the National Security Advisor, I don't care if they're a REMF, civilian, or the reincarnation of Chesty Puller himself.  The only thing that matters is if they're sharp, and know what they're talking about.

Your last sentence is key and the sad fact is that most REMF's know a lot of S%^& that just isn't true! And they tend to talk about it FAR too much!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2017, 04:00:27 pm »
@EC

I have not really dug into this story but my brief investigation leads me to believe that Flynn has a conservation about improving relations with the Russia ambassador. Sanctions came up in the conversation along with a lot of other stuff. Sanctions were not discussed in detail, the ambassador just said they were an obstacle to improving relations.

Next the Washington Post (I will never buy from Amazon again) runs a fake news story that Flynn violated a 1799 law that prohibits a private individual from conducting foreign policy. Totally fabricated story. No one has ever been prosecuted for this and Flynn was a high ranking member of the transition team hardly a private citizen. VP Pence asked Flynn about the bogus story and Flynn rightly answered no I did not discuss sanctions. Why did the VP stick his nose into this in this fake news story first place? Stupid move by the VP.  This administration better wise up, the entire media, the entire establishment along with all the NeverTrumpers are out to damage this admin at every and any turn.

So it turns out that sanctions did come up, but were not really discussed. One could say Flynn lied (he really didn't) so Flynn gets nailed for lying about a fake news story that the VP had no business sticking his nose into and gets the boot.

If my interpretation is correct. Then we can expect many more fake news stories and the admin better learn not to take the bait. And the VP needs to learn mind his own business. I blame Pence for this mess.

Flynn was a civvie at the time. A transition team has exactly zero legal power.  Nat Security Advisor is not a post that has any authority to treat with foreign nations in any way shape or form, even officially. Any discussion of sanctions, beyond listening to the Russian Ambassador and not replying would have been prohibited - and Flynn KNOWS that. He's been in the exact same circumstances before, albeit with a different government.
Then he did not tell the VP the extent of the discussion - his job, regardless of what was discussed.

While I appreciate it opens the door to further attacks by the left - Flynn resigning was the correct thing to do. Sometimes doing the right thing makes just as much a mess as doing the wrong thing.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2017, 04:02:09 pm »
@EC

.../

"So it turns out that sanctions did come up" is the problem @jpsb   

The administration circled the wagons around Flynn based on what he told them.  The VP was the tip of the spear defending Flynn. 

Had Flynn told the full truth ... I am sure the administration would still have defended him and fought for him--and won. 

Flynn turned a non-issue into his own undoing.  Flynn chose to hide the full truth--Flynn and Flynn alone is responsible for the outcome.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2017, 04:03:06 pm »
@EC

Spot on.

In private business, a CEO can use competing factions and agendas to the business' ultimate advantage. Trump cannot transfer that to Political World.

Edit: The term "fake news has quickly become passe'. I propose propagit for a more accurate replacement... propaganda + agitation.

@jpsb 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:10:31 pm by don-o »