Author Topic: Trump stops Obama's transgender school bathrooms policy  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Trump stops Obama's transgender school bathrooms policy
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 03:26:30 pm »
I know he does personally but I interpreted the report in the article as a positive step in reaffirming the rights of localities and states to set their own policies.

Which is good in that respect but that doesn't mean Trump is stopping transgender bathroom policies. It only means the DOJ won't be fighting to support it.

Its giving credit to Trump where none is really due. After all, if a state does enact a transgender bathroom policy and the administration doesn't stop it, does Trump get credit for that too?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 03:34:26 pm »
A phony issue, a phony problem.   We have lots of real problems.

Well, right.  That's exactly why Trump just got the federal government completely out of the business of policing bathrooms. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 03:38:05 pm »
Which is good in that respect but that doesn't mean Trump is stopping transgender bathroom policies. It only means the DOJ won't be fighting to support it.

Its giving credit to Trump where none is really due. After all, if a state does enact a transgender bathroom policy and the administration doesn't stop it, does Trump get credit for that too?

This is a bigger deal than you may think.  The EEOC publishes enforcement guidance that says how they interpret various federal laws pertaining to discrimination.  It is not considered legally controlling, but is often considered "persuasive" in how federal law should be interpreted.  And because a lot of state laws mirror those federal laws, it ends up being cited as persuasive for state law cases as well.  By backing off this, Trump is effectively removing a tool from those who want to compel schools to have transgender bathroom policies.  States may still decide to do it on their own, but the ability to be forced to do so legally is weakened.

To the extent individual schools choose to do this, I don't think the federal government should be involved anyway.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 03:41:26 pm »
Major flip flop from Primaries.  He didn't care then.  But good on Trump for whatever reason he made a complete turn around in his liberal mind.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:41:48 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 03:53:01 pm »
Major flip flop from Primaries.  He didn't care then.  But good on Trump for whatever reason he made a complete turn around in his liberal mind.

Aye.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 03:59:16 pm »
I know he does personally but I interpreted the report in the article as a positive step in reaffirming the rights of localities and states to set their own policies.

I suppose it's evidence that he's listening to some of the right people, since he's done some things he doesn't even agree with.

He at least seems to be making a decision or two that he doesn't believe in that we can agree with......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 04:00:13 pm »

I guess that's an advantage of being a liberal without a core.  He's going to do some things that conservatives like in spite of himself.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 05:46:50 pm »
We have far more important concerns than this silly bathroom business. 
Well, no.  It is a decency issue.  The decline in morality is causative of the decline in our entire social structure.  Doesn't seem much but the 'frog in the pot slowly heating up' analogy works well here.

But the federal govt has zero to do with this, so eliminating its mandate is correct course to take.
Cross-dressers have been around for years,  and they often use the bathroom matching their appearance when they are in public. So what, so long as discretion is exercised?   No one gets hurt, everyone goes about their business, and no one is ever the wiser.   That's the beauty of having stall doors.

Don't ask, don't tell has worked for years;  we don't need new laws, nor do we need ridiculous fear-mongering about predators in bathrooms.

This has nothing to do with cross-dressers.  What it has to do with is men who wish to do harm in a girl's bathroom.  It used to be against the law for them to enter; what Obama did was make it a RIGHT to enter.  Big big diff

[/quote]
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 05:54:59 pm »
This has nothing to do with cross-dressers.  What it has to do with is men who wish to do harm in a girl's bathroom. 
This is false hysteria.   I disagree with Obama's bathroom mandate;  but fables about cross-dressers wishing to harm girls is bullcrap.   This is the stuff that makes cultural conservatives look ridiculous - does anything think this is something new under the sun?   Does anyone here have personal experience running into guys in the girls's bathroom, or vice versa?    I have none - and I've had experience peeing for 59 years.     
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 05:57:47 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline anubias

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 06:08:05 pm »
One would think supposed Conservatives would be happy about this.   :thud:  Nope.  Just another reason to gripe about Trump.  Anything will do.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 06:10:29 pm »
Curious.  Because Trump actually agrees with Obama on this issue.
Perhaps Trump knows which side of his bread is buttered. So to speak.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 06:20:53 pm »
This is false hysteria.   I disagree with Obama's bathroom mandate;  but fables about cross-dressers wishing to harm girls is bullcrap.   This is the stuff that makes cultural conservatives look ridiculous - does anything think this is something new under the sun?   Does anyone here have personal experience running into guys in the girls's bathroom, or vice versa?    I have none - and I've had experience peeing for 59 years.     

What's funny, almost every time we go to the movies, I see women getting tired of waiting in line and marching into the men's bathroom. No transgender or pedo issue, they just don't want to or can't wait in line. Luckily guys down here are gentlemen.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 06:22:13 pm »
What's funny, almost every time we go to the movies, I see women getting tired of waiting in line and marching into the men's bathroom. No transgender or pedo issue, they just don't want to or can't wait in line. Luckily guys down here are gentlemen.

Same down the pub on Saturday nights. Women are constantly coming into the gents to use the stalls. No one cares.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2017, 06:33:31 pm »

That's an entirely different issue - one of building construction.

Most builders have been/are men and haven't figured out in their lives that women need longer to use a restroom (we also wash our hands  ^-^).  In all but the newest buildings, there aren't enough restrooms for an equal number of women, thus the extra long lines for women while men don't have to wait.

Solve the construction issue and women will always use the appropriate facility.  IOW, get women involved in the planning, or smarter men....

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 06:58:59 pm »
That's an entirely different issue - one of building construction.

Most builders have been/are men and haven't figured out in their lives that women need longer to use a restroom (we also wash our hands  ^-^).  In all but the newest buildings, there aren't enough restrooms for an equal number of women, thus the extra long lines for women while men don't have to wait.

Solve the construction issue and women will always use the appropriate facility.  IOW, get women involved in the planning, or smarter men....

Actually we design womens' bathrooms that way because we think it's hilarious watching a line of women down the hall all doing the pee-pee dance in perfect sync without a choreographer being involved ;)

As for @Jazzhead and his defense of all things liberal on this site, it shouldn't surprise anyone he's on the 'special rights for Trannies' train.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 09:06:57 pm »
As for @Jazzhead and his defense of all things liberal on this site, it shouldn't surprise anyone he's on the 'special rights for Trannies' train.

Reading comprehension isn't your forte.   When have I advocated "special rights for Trannies"?   

What I'm saying is that we need neither laws guaranteeing or banning access by transgenders to the bathroom of their choice.   Common courtesy and common sense are all that's needed - ginning this up as the next battle in the culture wars just makes cultural conservatives look ridiculous.   Cross-dressers (how many of them can there possibly be?; I've never met one) may indeed strike many as odd, but they are no threat to children as the right hysterically contends.   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:07:43 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 09:10:23 pm »
Reading comprehension isn't your forte.   When have I advocated "special rights for Trannies"?   

What I'm saying is that we need neither laws guaranteeing or banning access by transgenders to the bathroom of their choice.   Common courtesy and common sense are all that's needed - ginning this up as the next battle in the culture wars just makes cultural conservatives look ridiculous.   Cross-dressers (how many of them can there possibly be?; I've never met one) may indeed strike many as odd, but they are no threat to children as the right hysterically contends.   

You advocate they be ignored in bathrooms. It is what it is. Liberal. Common courtesy is taking ones penis and relieving it in the mens room.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 09:36:10 pm »
You advocate they be ignored in bathrooms. It is what it is. Liberal. Common courtesy is taking ones penis and relieving it in the mens room.

No, stupid!  If you see a guy in the womens' room, speak up.  There's just no need for government to get involved to either guarantee or ban access by cross-dressers to the bathroom corresponding to their attire.   This is a demand for a government solution to a problem that doesn't exist.   

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2017, 09:39:34 pm »
No, stupid!  If you see a guy in the womens' room, speak up.  There's just no need for government to get involved to either guarantee or ban access by cross-dressers to the bathroom corresponding to their attire.   This is a demand for a government solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Clearly it exists. Several trannies have been arrested snapping under-stall pix. So much for privacy.

Silver Pines

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2017, 10:46:15 pm »
What's deranged is this obsession with perverts in bathrooms.  People frequent bathrooms to relieve themselves;  stall doors ensure privacy.   This was never a problem until folks drummed it up as a fake crisis.

@Jazzhead

The thing is, there have been documented cases of men using this policy to waltz into women's bathrooms and take pictures under the stalls. 

Say you have a little girl and she needs to go to the restroom.  Would you feel all right letting her go inside if a man in a dress walked in before her?

Silver Pines

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2017, 10:48:33 pm »
@JannTosh, welcome

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2017, 01:08:05 am »
Clearly it exists. Several trannies have been arrested snapping under-stall pix. So much for privacy.

I understand the appeal of urban legends,  and maybe it even did happen "several" times.   It doesn't justify the government policing of bathrooms.

Call me a liberal,  I'd rather you say libertarian.  What kind of government do you favor that spends its precious time policing bathrooms?   

Look, people need to act in all matters with common sense, common decency, and in accordance with the golden rule.   If a pervert is lurking in the women's room, there's laws on the books dealing with that, laws concerned with assault.   In a perfect world, there'd be no cross dressers who need to use the bathroom.  But in this imperfect world,  I'm not going to let politically-manufactured hysteria convince me there's a problem that needs the solution of more laws.   

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2017, 01:47:07 am »
Bruce "Caitlyn" Jenner won't be happy about this.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2017, 02:27:53 am »
@Jazzhead

The thing is, there have been documented cases of men using this policy to waltz into women's bathrooms and take pictures under the stalls. 

Say you have a little girl and she needs to go to the restroom.  Would you feel all right letting her go inside if a man in a dress walked in before her?

I don't think people who have no problem with this have raised daughters.....

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2017, 02:29:54 am »
I don't think people who have no problem with this have raised daughters.....

My daughter carries a SIG P238.  I don't worry about much.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.