Author Topic: Scott Walker wants law requiring UW officials to protect offensive speech  (Read 964 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Scott Walker wants law requiring UW officials to protect offensive speech

As political polarization across the country fuels ideological confrontations on college campuses, including the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Gov. Scott Walker is proposing a law to require UW officials to protect offensive speech.

In his 2017-2019 executive budget, Walker recommends “codifying the state’s commitment to academic freedom,” and providing $10,000 in funding for the UW System to review and revise “policies related to academic freedom.”

The proposed companion budget bill elaborates, stating among other things, that:

The UW Board of Regents and each college campus “shall guarantee all members of the system's community the broadest possible latitude to speak, write, listen, challenge and learn.”

Continued: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/education/university/scott-walker-wants-law-requiring-uw-officials-to-protect-offensive/article_fae53172-118b-5ae1-96dd-dd26e3de5bd3.html

:thumbsup:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
It's a damn shame when you actually have to think of writing and passing a law protecting any kind of speech
---offensive or otherwise---even when your state's constitution's third section (after section one on equality and
section two prohibiting slavery) specifies there's such an official thing in the state as freedom of speech.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
It's a damn shame when you actually have to think of writing and passing a law protecting any kind of speech
---offensive or otherwise---even when your state's constitution's third section (after section one on equality and
section two prohibiting slavery) specifies there's such an official thing in the state as freedom of speech.

Yep - and provide taxpayer funds to do so.  Disgusting.

On the other hand you could take away tax dollars from the university for civil rights violations.  You hit them in the pocketbook and you'll have their full attention.

Oceander

Eternal vigilance

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
On the other hand you could take away tax dollars from the university for civil rights violations.  You hit them in the pocketbook and you'll have their full attention.

You certainly could.

But it would take the kind of intellectual fortitude sorely lacking among the political class to do it.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline LMAO

The problem with these young people is they have to come out of the protection of the University bubble at some point.

There they will find out the real world will not accommodate them and every demand  they make
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy